History

Brookmans Park Newsletter
content created by the community for the community
www.brookmans.com


Home

Adverts
Business Directory
Calendar
Environment
Facebook
Forum
Gallery
History
Information
Links
News Archive
Twitter
Walks

Feedback

About us
Copyright
Cookie policy
Editorial policy
Forum agreement
Privacy policy


Served by
the Positive Internet Company
Positive Internet


North Mymms Pictures From The Past

Chapter Five - Public Houses

Ale houses, beer houses, inns and taverns have always played a central role in the community, and ours have a historical background.

Bell Bar, because of its location on the old Great North Road, gave rise to The Bell (1556), The White Hart (1721), The White Swan (1850), the latter being built on the Great North Road. The Cock O' The North followed in the 1930s.

The Hope and Anchor, Welham Green, was referred to as a beer house in 1838 when James Hutson, who was also a shop-keeper and church organist, paid the North Mymms bell-ringers in beer.

The Sibthorpe Arms, Welham Green, was originally, in 1750, known as The Duke of Leeds Arms, after the Lord of the Manor of North Mymms. By 1850 it was called The Sibthorpe Arms, after the Sibthorpe family who owned the Manor of Potterells.

Cock O' The North The former White Swan, Bell Bar
Cock O' The North, Great North Road, Bell Bar, with Hartsman advertising airship flying above. July 1985.
The former White Swan, Bell Bar, in 1982, now a private residence.
The White Swan Brookmans Park Hotel
The White Swan at Bell Bar. The licensee in 1891 was Charlie Chatman. It was open from 8am to 10pm. The stables contained two broughams, a wagonette, a Victoria, a trap and a dog cart which were used for taking people as far as Hertford.Cock O' The North, Great North Road, Bell Bar, with Hartsman advertising airship flying above. July 1985.
Opposition to the building of a beer house in 1936 led to the Hadley Brewery Company submitting new plans for an hotel in Brookmans Park. Building commenced in 1939, shown here in 1964. Merrilegs the pony lived in the field on the corner.
The Sibthorpe Arms The Hope and Anchor
The Sibthorpe Arms, Welham Green, c.19th century
The Hope and Anchor, Station Road, Welham Green, August 25, 1915.
The Old Maypole, Water End The Woodman at Water End
The Old Maypole, Water End, 1920. It claims to date from 1520; the building appears to be 16 or 17th century. In 1871 the licensee was Mary Ann Massey, whose brother Walter ran the blacksmith shop adjoining the pub.
The Woodman at Water End. Probably known as The Tollgate in 1700s. Purchased by Charles Bradshaw, a Hatfield baker and brewer in 1851, who sold out to Edward Pryor and Percy Reid in 1888. The premises were shown as a grocers shop as well as a beer retailer during the 19th century and in 1881 the licensee George Dickens also gave his occupation as a gardener. The 1891 census shows George Dickens (54) publican and labourer, Harriet Dickens (58) wife, and Annie Day (24) niece. c 1890.
The Old Maypole, Water End
An advertising card for "The Old Maypole" Water End. The Barnet By-pass became the A1 road in 1954.



North Mymms Pictures From The Past - Index
Chapter One - Welham Green
Chapter Two - Transport
Chapter Three - North Mymms Park
Chapter Four- Water End
Chapter Five - Public Houses
Chapter Six - Brookmans Park
Chapter Seven - Landmarks
Chapter Eight - Little Heath
Chapter Nine - Farming
Chapter Ten - Bell Bar
Chapter Eleven - People of North Mymms
Chapter Twelve - Marshmoor

Note: ‘North Mymms Pictures From The Past’ is a collection of more than 100 old photographs compiled by the North Mymms Local History Society and published in a new book in October 2002. The society says it is indebted to the following for the use of their photographs. The late Hugh Baddeley and Joan Baddeley, Lilian Caras, the late Pat Clarke, the late Dick and Dorothy Colville, Paul Jiggens, Bill Killick, Ron Kingdon, Joan Knight, Frank H. Meads, Bill Nott, the late George Knott, Margaret A Palmer, Colling Turner, Ron Warner, Ken Wright and the North Mymms Cricket Club. The 62-page book was sold out six weeks after being published.

Search this site or the rest of the Internet
This site The Internet
 © Brookmans Park Newsletter 1998-2014