Author Topic: Site interactivity  (Read 17190 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Site interactivity
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005, 03:22:10 pm »
I see the Community Directory still has just nine entries. If you run a local organisation, or belong to one as a member, please consider adding the details. The service is free and you can edit your entries. If you know of a local community group but are not a member, please suggest they also add their details to the site. Click here to view the Community Directory and to add any details.

Thanks
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2005, 06:27:12 am »
As is often the case as the summer approaches, the What's On Diary is looking thin for the next few months. If you have a community not-for-profit event coming up and would like to publicise it on the site, please use the form on the What's On page. The title of your event will appear on the front page of the site the date of the event approaches. We have put a new box on the front page to promote this feature better.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Albert Ross

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2005, 04:06:07 pm »
I find the Business Directory very useful for local trades. However I wish people would keep their entries up to date. Looking for A.J.Young I find they are still under "Harwins". I also wonder how many of the registered companys' details may need updating? Are there any others out there that would like their details shown? Come on chaps, we do use it !

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2005, 04:20:34 pm »

I find the Business Directory very useful for local trades. However I wish people would keep their entries up to date.

Hi Albert,

Good point. All those who enter details for the business and community directories set their own password, which enables them to log in to the site and update the details as often as they like. If anyone has forgotten their password please message James by clicking here and then select 'James' from the drop down menu.

Thanks

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2005, 04:29:09 pm »
Don't forget to enter the details of any local, non-commercial events you are involved in and want to promote in the site's What's On Diary. It's free, and details of the event will be published on the site as soon as you press 'save'.

The summer is looking a bit thin for local events, so the more entries the better.

Please pass the word around and don't rely on the site volunteers to enter details on your behalf. If you don't enter the details, the chances are the event will not be listed.

:)

Click here for the What's On Diary 'add an event' page.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2005, 01:23:34 pm »
We've had to remove a number of entries from the business directory because they were either not local or their details were out of date.

All businesses in the free business directory must be based in North Mymms and operate in the area. Those adding their businesses must put in full contact details, including the address, otherwise we have no way of knowing whether they are local. The site's guidelines has a section dealing with the business directory.

If your details have changed, such as if you have moved home or changed phone numbers, please remember to update your entry. All those who submitted details will have set a password that will enable you to edit the entry.

Thanks

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2005, 08:18:32 am »
The What's On Diary is running out of entries. There is usually a flood of new entries after the summer holidays, but if you have a local event running through August, now is the time to put details in the diary so that your event will show up on the front page of the site.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2005, 02:26:25 pm »
Just a reminder to people adding their business details to the site's free business directory listings. Click here to access the business directory. This services is for firms based in North Mymms. It's not for firms in Hatfield or other towns outside the area covered by this site.

Also, it's not enough for a person who works for a firm based outside the area to add details of their firm, or the firm they work for, simply because they live in the area. The firm must be based here in the parish of North Mymms.

All businesses listed in the business directory must include a valid local address and post code. This must be the same as the registered business address.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but we want the facility to keep its value as a list of local firms operating locally.

Offline SM

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2005, 11:28:44 pm »
Just to let people know  that the Classified section does work.  I advertised a car on this site a couple of weeks ago, and it was sold to a local within a week.  No advertising costs, no hassle.  Fantastic.

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2005, 03:42:03 pm »
I can only see the most recent adverts. How do I ??? get to view the whole 30 available, can anyone help please?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2005, 04:20:46 pm »
I can only see the most recent adverts. How do I get to view the whole 30 available, can anyone help please?

Hi Spurs Fan, it only displays the most recent. Click on the categories to see the rest.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2005, 04:22:17 pm »
Just to let people know  that the Classified section does work.  I advertised a car on this site a couple of weeks ago, and it was sold to a local within a week.  No advertising costs, no hassle.  Fantastic.

Great, good to know it's working well. Thanks for the feedback SM.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2005, 08:00:35 pm »
Can people please use sentence case, rather than capitals, when adding entries to the What's On Diary and other interactive features on the site.

Thanks

David

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2005, 10:40:39 am »
I see this ok:

[14]   [7]   [1]   [1] 

•    [1]   [2]   [4] 

Most recent adverts
Click on a category above to reveal more adverts....

But I am unable to click on the numbers, and there are no words describing catagories. So I am still in the dark!  ???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2005, 10:54:31 am »
Hi Spurs Fan,

Check your anti-virus settings. If they are set too high, they could be blocking out the links. It does happen.

David

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2005, 10:56:32 am »
I think they are only on medium, but I'll have a look. Thanks.

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2005, 08:14:25 pm »
Hi Spurs Fan, I'm running Norton Internet Security 2005 and found I that to see the adverts I had to add Brookmans Park Newsletter to the Allowed List in the Ad Blocking section.

Took me about 3 or 4 weeks to figure it out! :icon_scratch:

Hope this helps,
supersonic

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2005, 11:12:27 pm »
Hi Supersonic. Yes I have NIS 2005 too, but haven't a clue how to add the BP newsletter!! Are you able to give simple instructions???

Thanks!

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2005, 11:40:23 pm »
Hi Spurs Fan,

No problem (now that I know how to do it  ;) ).

Open NIS and click on the 'AntiSpam' button. Click on Ad Blocking (5th link down) and then click the Configure button. Next click on 'add site' at botom of page and enter www.brookman.com then click OK. Now find it in the list and click on it once to highlight it, then at the bottom of the next window click on 'add'. Select 'Permit' and in the text box enter /adverts/ (including the slashes). Click OK, and then the OK button at the bottom of the page. Close NIS. Job done.

Good luck,
supersonic

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2005, 09:08:15 pm »
Supersonic, you're a genius! It worked brilliantly, thank you!

(And thank you for the step-by-step instructions too!)

Spurs fan

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2005, 12:20:56 pm »
Glad to have helped.

supersonic

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2006, 05:37:17 pm »
I will have to apologise for my inability to post a classified ad. I just would like to offer a box full of Warhammer items for sale, several of which are new and all in the original boxes. How do I do it? James gave me the link (http://brookmans.com/adverts/), but I seem to be unable to post a new message. My sad lack of computer savy, but any help is appreciated.

Caroline
Caroline

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2006, 06:00:36 pm »
If you try that link again - near the top it says 'add new advert' just fill in the boxes and it should be ok.  Remember to add a password so that you can edit it if you need to.  Good luck

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2006, 07:29:35 pm »
I am at a loss to explain why CarolineB (and other forum members as well) seem to be unable to see the 'Add New Advert' link, or any of the catagories on the webpage. It must be something to do with the type of computer they are using or the browser they use, but I cannot replicate it on my home machine ,nor on a couple of machines I have seen with it, been able to sort it out. It must be some sort of fireware/dodgy content blocking software, but unsure what! Can any technical bods help?

James
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 07:48:49 pm by David Brewer »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2006, 07:44:33 pm »
The last time this happened was because people had their anti virus software set too high. If you reduce it to medium it works fine. It must be something to do with the software trying to block ads.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2006, 07:48:20 pm »
I've merged this thread with an existing thread on this issue, which includes a possible solution. See above.

David

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2006, 04:14:09 pm »
James, I have disabled antivirus and firewall programs, but still dn't see an 'Add new advert' box. What do I do now?

Caroline
Caroline

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2006, 04:26:39 pm »
Hi Caroline,

Enable your firewall and antivirus again ASAP. It's too dangerous to be without.

Then try the instructions set out by supersonic earlier in this thread.

Hi Spurs Fan,

No problem (now that I know how to do it  ;) ).

Open NIS and click on the 'AntiSpam' button. Click on Ad Blocking (5th link down) and then click the Configure button. Next click on 'add site' at botom of page and enter www.brookman.com then click OK. Now find it in the list and click on it once to highlight it, then at the bottom of the next window click on 'add'. Select 'Permit' and in the text box enter /adverts/ (including the slashes). Click OK, and then the OK button at the bottom of the page. Close NIS. Job done.

Good luck,
supersonic

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2006, 01:03:24 pm »
Thank you! I have now looked at the instructions in the thread, and they worked great. I have been able to place some adverts, and all the categories are also visible.

Would it be useful to give some firewall management tips in this section? Obviously, there have been more with the same problems. It is basically the firewall that causes the problem; I don't run NIS but just Norton Antivirus and Firewall. However, the instructions worked fine on the firewall as well.

Caroline

Caroline

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2006, 07:17:44 pm »
NIS = Norton Internet Security. Glad the instructons worked for you. Do also remember to ensure that the 'Automatic LiveUpdate', 'Auto Protect' and Email Scanning options are all turned on.

supersonic

« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 07:26:27 pm by supersonic »

Tags: