Author Topic: Site interactivity  (Read 17206 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Site interactivity
« on: December 16, 2003, 12:34:54 pm »
Don't forget you can add local events to this site's What's On Diary for free. It's looking a bit thin for events between now and January 10th.

You simply go to this page

http://www.brookmans.com/whatson/add.php

and type in the details.

Best to check whether the event is already listed first by going to this page.

http://www.brookmans.com/whatson/index.php

The facility is available for non-commercial local events to do with community activities.

Once your event is posted it will appear automatically on the left of the front page as the event approaches.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 06:23:14 am by Editor »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Site interactivity
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 04:24:53 pm »
We will soon be rolling out a new interactive feature on the site.

The Brookmans Park Business Directory will allow local shops, services, and community groups to enter details of their commercial concerns in a new section.

Local businesses will be able to edit and update the details themselves.

Hopefully it will grow into a valuable resource of local contact numbers. It will eventually replace this site's Contacts Section.

The Business Directory will be open to all commercial ventures operating in North Mymms, as long as their entries comply with the site's editorial guidelines.

More Details.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 10:24:06 pm by James_Bentall »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 04:45:01 pm »
I hope the editorial guidelines will stop Shads advertising his nude house cleaning service...

;D

Offline Margaret

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 11:15:42 am »
Aiden
Why do you hope that, sounds like a good idea to me ;D ;D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 05:27:41 pm »
We have had a spring clean of the classified adverts section, removing all posts that were more than a year old.

The list has come down from around 100 to the current 21. The feature now deletes old items every six months, so if you haven't sold something (and the advert has disappeared) you might want to add it again.

It would be interesting to see what sort of items are selling through the classified adverts, just to see how useful it is.

If anyone has sold anything please consider letting us know on this thread. Through the classified adverts feature I have sold, or given away, the following...

• PS1 consol and games
  • Six PS2 games
  • Office table
  • Office chair

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 05:41:41 pm »
My rock collection went in a flash - and I had 5 people call up about them - however I was giving them away - I've sold a CD transport - and the guy came from Nottingham to get it.

However If I may plug my unsold bows and arrows / hi fi cabling and beautiful BMW - all are a veritable bargin and well worth buying...

;D

Offline steve

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 01:05:48 am »
i sold all 3 of my karts and engines to 4 different people.
2 of them came from essex||
no cost advertising. good result.

Offline trinity

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 03:29:28 am »
The "free to a good home" "Little Tikes" climbing frame
that I advertised a few months ago, went within 36 hours.
To a lady who came to collect it from Rickmansworth,
for her grandson.

Ta very much, by the way.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 09:14:42 am »
The new Business Directory is now live. Click here

Just a reminder to all local firms, the current contacts page will stay live for a few weeks and will then be replaced by the business directory. At that point, all entries not copied across from the current contact page will be lost.

A flyer explaining this is to be delivered to every shop around Bradmore Green and Welham Green shopping parade.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 04:02:55 pm »
Just a tip for those entering business details in the new Business Directory.

Please omit the word 'The' at the beginning of your entry, otherwise it will be filed under 'T'.

;)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 01:40:55 am »
Having responded to feedback we have decided to include a description field so that local business concerns can post up to 200 chracters about themselves.

Existing businesses can add the info by clicking the edit link and typing in their password.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 10:17:56 pm »
When you enter your details in the business directory please use sentence case rather than capitals.

Also, if you are adding a URL to your company Website be sure to include the (http://) bit at the front or else it won't work.

And a reminder, there is now a box in which you can write 200 characters about your business. All those who posted before we added this please feel free to edit your entries.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 10:08:44 am »
Can anyone who shops in Brookmans Park and/or Welham Green please remind shop keepers about the free business directory on this site.

They have all been given hand-delivered letters, but only a few have bothered to add their details.

If the directory is to be of value it needs to have all the  local business concerns listed so that local residents have the contact details at hand.

Perhaps anyone shopping over the next few days could remind the store owners.

They simply go to www.brookmans.com, click on the ‘Free Business Directory’ button, add their details, and it will go live immediately.

They have full password-protected control over their entries and can edit and update whenever they need to.

Thanks

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 05:47:40 pm »
Just a reminder that this site's old contacts page will be removed at the end of next month.

It is being replaced with the new Business Directory. Any numbers not transferred by then will be deleted from the site when the old page is removed.

The change has been made so that local commercial concerns can be responsible for updating their own details giving them total control about what is said about their businesses.

Each business can set a password so that they can edit their details if they need to. Every entry becomes live on the site as soon as the details are saved.

As with everything else on this site, the new service is totally free.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 05:51:35 pm by admin »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 12:45:06 pm »
thats a great idea...i must admit there are some business's in there that i never new existed...well worth checking out

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 01:45:39 pm »
I have just noticed that the What's On Diary is empty for August.

Don't forget it is an excellent way to publicise a local community events for all to see.

The facility is free and a brief description of the event automatically appears in a small box on the top left of the front page of the site as the date approaches.

Just click on the What's On Dairy link and post the details and your event will go live on the site.

Offline NZer

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2004, 05:11:11 am »
It would would great to know of any events on in BP or surrounding area when I'm over in August.  Perhaps everyone in the area goes on holiday then!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2004, 05:25:50 pm »
The next event listed in the What's On Diary (which appears in a small box at the top left of the front page) is more than two months away on 28 September. If you know of any local events before that, please update the page by clicking on the What's On Add an Event link and entering the details. Your event will then appear on the front page.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 05:27:03 pm by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2004, 01:21:13 pm »
Coming soon, a new feature on the Brookmans Park Newsletter enabling local community groups to publish details of their activities and meetings. Click here to read more. If you have any suggestions for groups that should be listed, please add them to this thread.

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2004, 07:33:52 pm »
I like the typo under the photo - 'Guide dogs for the bling'!!!  ;)

:D :D  :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 07:34:21 pm by Cassie »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2004, 07:44:37 pm »
Fixed  :-[  just can't get the staff these days.  :-/

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 11:50:55 am »
We hope to make the new Community Directory live tomorrow or Sunday. It seems to be working well and is ready for people to add their community groups to. This message will be updated when the directory is live.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 09:54:11 am »
The Community Directory is now live. Please enter your community group's details, when it meets, what it involves etc. There is also a box to add some text describing your group. All who enter details can set their own password so they can update the text when they want.

If you are involved in any community groups that should be listed, please contact the organisers. If they are not online, please consider entering the information on their behalf (if they agree).

The Community Directory is another free facility on this site. Thanks to those who added details during the testing period.

:)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2004, 12:51:03 am »
Great area of the site Dave - another super addition.

I hope enough people will find my idea in this part of the site, but here goes anyway....

After spending some timein Old Welwyn recently, I think they have a fabbo idea, the 'Old Welwyn Drinking Club'...

SO, I'm going to attempt to se the same thing up in Brookmans Park.  the BROOKMANS PARK DRINKING CLUB!

Idea being to go to a variety of pubs, chat, meet ne w friends and [of course] drink a variety of ales and lagers...

If there is enough interest I will register it on the 'community page', so reply or instant mail me if it sounds like your sort of things.  All ages and genders more than welcome, well over 18s would be a good start.....

Cheers!
Aidan

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2004, 10:09:41 am »
Aidan

I will sign up for overseas membership of the drinking club.

Cheers

Mary

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2004, 12:19:37 pm »
Nice one Mary - when I get my new 3G phone - you can join via video conference!

Either that or I have to persuade the Brookmans to set up a Wireless network facility...

Cheers,
Aidan

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2005, 04:52:24 pm »
Despite going round to every shop in Brookmans Park and Welham Green with leaflets about the free business directory, few have bothered to take advantage of the facility.

So, three questions...

1) Would all users of this site who are customers of shops in Welham Green and Brookmans Park consider reminding  shopkeepers that the free directory exists please? If the directory is to be of any value to the community it needs to have as many local businesses listed as possible.

2) If local businesses don't want to be listed, should we widen the facility to include businesses in Potters Bar and Hatfield. Would that add to the value of the directory or detract from it?

3) Is the business directory of any value?

Please add any ideas/thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 05:05:56 pm by admin »

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2005, 03:47:38 pm »
You just cant help some people, can you? I think the directory is a great asset to the web site and it would be good if everyone bothered to add their OWN details. Some businesses obviously have sufficient business already.
I think it would be best to keep to local businesses only as it is Brookmans.Com after all.
Well done Dave and thanks for a great web site.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2005, 08:50:42 am »
The Community Directory is back in action again. We have removed the search facility, but will put it back if numbers reach more than 15. We have also removed the categories, because they were more confusing than helpful.

Remember, if you are a member of a local community group, please encourage the organisers to enter details here. It is a free facility and a chance to let people know about your group's activities.

Click here for the Community Directory

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2005, 08:49:26 pm »
I am afraid we have had to remove ten entries from the Business Directory, because they were not local.

Apologies for this, but we want to keep it for local firms based in North Mymms and serving the area. A number of businesses based in Potters Bar and Hatfield had entered details and these have been removed.

We have also removed a number of entries where local people entered details for national firms. I am afraid the facility is not for franchise operations.

Ccould all local businesses please check their entries and make sure there is a North Mymms address and phone number.

We were not able to contact all the firms we removed. If any entries have been removed which should not have been removed please let us know by emailing this site.

Please click here for the Business Directory.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 08:52:16 pm by admin »

Tags: