Author Topic: Man mugged in village  (Read 14693 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Man mugged in village
« on: May 16, 2006, 11:48:31 am »
A 55-year-old Brookmans Park man was mugged in the village late last night as he walked home from the station. The man was not hurt but his family has warned others to be on their guard. Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Oly

• Opinions on many things
  • Well, I say
Re: Man mugged in village
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:33:08 pm »
Why is the world turning into a place like this?

What are the chances that they were london boys, they fit the description.

Offline Johnny Redd

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:15:11 am »
Because of the broad similarity in description would there be a connection with the muggers who threatened the man in High Street Potters Bar about 4 weeks ago and where mention was made of a suspected firearm. It was covered in the WHT with billboards outside newsagents.

Offline DC Mike Ganly

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 04:56:33 pm »
In relation to this matter DC Mike Ganly British Transport Police Robbery Squad would like to hear from anyone who saw three black male youths in Brookmans Park Village late in the evening of 15th May 2006. The three are believed to have arrived in the village by train, and left the same way. Anyone with information is urged to please contact the officer direct on 020 7320 0938. Thank you.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 05:10:11 pm »
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the trouble to register and post. Let's hope it results in some useful leads.

Regards

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 05:24:14 pm »
The three are believed to have arrived in the village by train, and left the same way
So not the fastest get away on record then, which raises a point. If these three lads did depart by train, they knew they woud have to wait for a train and once it arrived would have to spend some time on it, travelling for a distance along an easily predicted route. While they were doing this their victim would have time to call the police, either by completing his journey home or by knocking on the first house with a light on. So there was a period of time in which the police could have gone to the station or intercepted the train, allowing the muggers to be apprehended with the stolen phone in their possession and with their faces fresh in the victim’s memory. The muggers knew this, so consider the contempt they must have for the police to commit a crime like this and depart by train. Sadly, they appear to have a good idea of the level of police response we get around here.

Incidentally, I believe a teenager in BP had a bike stolen last week by three youths who used the threat of violence. I wonder if it is the same group.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 08:33:49 am »
In relation to this matter DC Mike Ganly British Transport Police Robbery Squad would like to hear from anyone who saw three black male youths in Brookmans Park Village late in the evening of 15th May 2006. The three are believed to have arrived in the village by train, and left the same way. Anyone with information is urged to please contact the officer direct on 020 7320 0938. Thank you.

Mike,

Would it be worth British Transport Police working with First Capital Connect to

• Install two CCTV cameras, one  pointing across the footbridge and the other down to the ticket office.
  • Improve the lighting on the bridge

?

David

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 08:58:19 am »
I'm not sure that CCTVs would be any good at all - if they always wear hoods and know their ways round of hiding their identities

Offline local_resident

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 09:30:24 am »
I think people villagers should be aware three youths fitting the description of the muggers on Monday night were loitering around the bike sheds and after one other passenger and I came off the 23:11 train last night (Wednesday).

We were followed up past the ticket office to the second footbridge but nothing happened. However, they were acting very suspiciously and I called the Police upon getting home.

No hoodies this time so CCTV may have been able to help identify the youths.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 09:52:40 am »
I think people villagers should be aware three youths fitting the description of the muggers on Monday night were loitering around the bike sheds and after one other passenger and I came off the 23:11 train last night (Wednesday).

We were followed up past the ticket office to the second footbridge but nothing happened. However, they were acting very suspiciously and I called the Police upon getting home.

No hoodies this time so CCTV may have been able to help identify the youths.

Thanks for posting that information. Perhaps that late train should be avoided until British Transport Pollice, Herts Constabulary and First Capital Connect sort out security?

David

Online southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 09:59:59 am »
Our later trains are replaced by buses tonight so that my scupper the muggers . Surely under the circumstances the Transport Police could consider riding the last 2 or three trains from Finsbury Park to Welwyn GC over the next few nights - highly controversial I know - but worth a thought ?

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 10:34:21 am »
That's a good idea if they can do it. What about the Friday and Saturday late- night trains, are they being replaced as well? Or if the trains are running, perhaps a little welcoming party from the PCO's around that time might be appropriate........

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 10:35:24 am »

The muggers knew this, so consider the contempt they must have for the police to commit a crime like this and depart by train. Sadly, they appear to have a good idea of the level of police response we get around here.

Hi John,

Regarding the issue of police response. I have been talking to the people involved in both these incidents. In the first, on Monday, I am told that the 0845 number was answered on the first ring and the local officers were on the victim's doorstep only a few minutes after they had finished the call. In addition, the British Transport Police rang within half an hour of the report to Herts Police and followed up with an interview the next day.

In the incident last night I am told that the person reported it immediately and was told that a call would be put out there and then for officers to go to the scene and investigate.

In addition a British Transport Police Detective Constable has signed up to the forum and is gathering information to try to get to the bottom of this. Similarly the community bobby, Jitu is using the forum to gather information.

David

John_fraser

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 10:49:27 am »
...local officers were on the victim's doorstep only a few minutes after they had finished the call. In addition, the British Transport Police rang within half an hour of the report to Herts Police and followed up with an interview the next day.

Did the police go to the station and see it the guys were still there? Did police to board the trains out of BP at other stations and look for people answering the description? If not, why not? It's all very good sending people round to get statements, but if they arn't going to try and apprehend the wrong doers when they have the chance what is the point? It is after all their job. The muggers didn't expect the police to do their job, which is why they made an escape by train. Looks like they were right.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 11:12:18 am »
Perhaps the police did do that, perhaps there was a second patrol sent to the station whilst the first was, very commendably, seeing to the victim. Perhaps the British Transport Police were alerted to ride the trains.  I don't know, but neither do you. I don't see how you can leap into criticising before knowing all the facts and I am quite sure that you don't know all the facts about the case. Why seek to put the police down before you know the truth?

Incidentally, we have had to call for the police on 3 occasions in the last 18 months. Each time there has been a very prompt and thorough response combined with excellent support. They also caught our burglar who, gratifyingly, received a custodial sentence. 10/10 on each occasion!

John_fraser

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 11:22:40 am »
You’re right, I don’t know. The police may have done all you say and more. But if they had done that they would have probably caught the guys. More to the point, if they been in the habit of doing that the muggers would have probably known. As a result they would not have tried to get away by train. In fact they would have probably not taken the risk of mugging the guy in the first place if they thought that the response would have been rapid and effective.

Offline DC Mike Ganly

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 11:25:47 am »
DC Mike Ganly thanks all those who have posted responses to the quest for information about these three suspects. Of course I can not respond to each and every notice, particularly whilst the police investigation is ongoing.

I am eager to receive telephone calls from anyone with specific information about the three males on Monday and / or Wednesday this week.

On the Monday night the three suspects stole property from this reported victim and then immediately went onto the railway station. They boarded a southbound train service and were involved in a second incident on the train before they left they were chased off by railstaff (who acted very professionally) at Potters Bar.

The three males were in Brookmans Park Village for a period of time on Monday night, and I would like to hear from anyone who left the pub between 2230hrs and 2300hrs, or anyone who perhaps visited the area of the Green around that same time.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 02:10:57 pm »
Two interesting links.

The first is the Travel Safe page on the British Transport Police website. Click here to read it.

The other is the Department for Transport and British Transport Police Secure Stations Scheme. Click here for that site.

The following is taken from that site.

What is involved ?

Stations making a commitment to participate in the Scheme work in close partnership with local BTP Crime Reduction Officers (CROs) who can advise where a station is achieving recognised standards and, conversely, where it is not. Local CROs provide station managers with on-going support and guidance until such time as they judge that the station has reached the standards required. An independent BTP officer then formally assesses the station to decide whether it conforms to the stipulated criteria and can be recommended for accreditation.

If successful, the application is sent to the Department for Transport (DfT) to endorse the application and award the station with a certificate signed by the Chief Constable of the British Transport Police. The certificate can be displayed at the station and advertised in your publicity materials and station signage. DfT will also notify your station's local MP of the accreditation.

The certificate is valid for two years from the date of issue. A certificate can be withdrawn during this time if there is a clear breach of the standard. After the two years the operator may apply for a new certificate, following the same procedure.

If the local CRO finds that the station does not meet the accreditation standard, they will specify what needs to be done and advise you on the 'working towards accreditation' award process. Achieving the 'working towards accreditation' award will entitle the station operator to use this in their publicity. Details of the accreditation process can be found overleaf.

I have sent an email to the person in charge of the Secure Stations Scheme to ask him about Brookmans Park.

David

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 10:34:56 am »
Is the Transport Police CRO the equivalent of the normal police service PCSO I wonder?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 10:18:29 am »
I have removed my post which included the reply from the Mobility & Inclusion Unit because the author wants to check with his PR department first. Once he gets the green light I will repost it.

David
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 10:26:26 am by David Brewer »

Offline Sid

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 03:50:22 pm »
The Station layout is poor
Money seems to have been spent recently.
But not to connect the railway footbridge directly to the village side/car park.
Instead, a person has to go over two bridges, with little cctv coverage and walk thru dark areas.
Now. Why not erect a staircase/ramp to the railway foot bridge from the carpark/directly into the village?
And give that, and the carpark, cctv cover?
Sid

Max

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 07:41:33 am »
Spot on, Sid! I have always thought that myself. Brookmans Park Station could have been designed for the benefit of mugers, and apart from that, there can hardly be a station in the world where it is more difficult to drop off a passanger with luggage!

Why indeed do they not connect the footbridge to the car park side? I really do not understand.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 02:39:01 pm »
So you have to go past the ticket office?

Maybe the ticket office should be moved to the car park?  But that would be too sensible and cost money.

Offline Gashead

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 12:36:23 pm »
Someone mentioned a cost simply to replace the ticket machine which is frequently nicked - can't remember the figure but they had to mop down the bar in the BPH I choked so badly. Surely the saving by having that in a relatively open, lit area would warrant the cost of the bridge being altered and ticket office moved?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 04:58:07 pm »
I've had a response from First Capital Connect about security at Brookmans Park Station.

Just a reminder that I sent an email to the Department for Transport and British Transport Secure Stations Scheme

The reply went along the lines...

Dear David

Thank you for your inquiry about the Secure Stations Scheme. However, may I first say, how very sorry I am to hear about the distressing incidents that have occurred at Brookmans Park station.

Brookmans Park station is currently not part of Scheme, and whilst I have no knowledge of the personal security arrangements currently in force at the station, should it meet the current Scheme's accreditation standards it can pursue accreditation. Should this not be the case the station can still embark on a "working towards accreditation" award.  However, as you may be aware the scheme is  voluntary so the onus is on the Station Manager to seek accreditation in liaison with his local British Transport Police Crime Reduction Officer. By way of reference, First Capital Connect the Train Operating Company responsible for the station does participate in the Scheme  with twenty of it's stations currently accredited under the Scheme.

I hope this helps, but if you want any further information please do not hesitate to call me.

Mobility & Inclusion Unit

I was impressed with the fast and detailed response. I was asked not to publish the full reply until the PR department had agreed to it, so I have produced an edited version above.

First Capital Connect has now come back to me.

Ref: 1138510/FCC

Dear Mr Brewer,

Thank you for contacting First Capital Connect.

I was quite distressed to hear of the situation at Brookmans Park station. The safety of all those who use the station should be of paramount importance, which is why I have forwarded the details of your email to the Station Manager at Brookmans Park who will be able to deal with issue.

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention.

I suppose the station manager at Brookmans Park covers a few stations. I'll let you know whether I hear any more on this, but I have a feeling that might be all I hear from them.

In the meantime, I guess the more people who email the secure station scheme - click here for the page with the email address at the bottom or alternatively, click here for a page with the feedback form for First Capital Connect.

David

email address

Offline PC Jitu Davé

• Those logged on can IM me (below).
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2006, 03:51:34 pm »
Dear Readers,

At 2346 hours on 2.6.06 a passenger reported to police two suspicious Asian/Indian type males wearing hoodies following this passenger -who was in company with two friends-  to the top of the bridge where there were a group of kids. The males then returned to the station. The passenger was aware of the current sightings of such suspicious persons through the police flyers advertising this matter. The passenger was home safe and well and kindly informed police of this incident. I have left a message for this person to contact me so I can obtain further detailed description of these people.

I have contacted BTP and the First Connect Capital raising my concern to them.

In the mean time, may I request all the readers to make aware everybody they know of these incidents.

PC JItu DAVE

Offline Sid

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 01:27:43 pm »
Well, Just maybe we have started something that will get something changed.
I suspect that Brookmans Park Station is one of the nastiest/most dangerous in the suburbs of London.
When we came to live in Brookmans Park, I was told that a girl hed been killed, at night, about 20 years ago after being dragged into the track to the vet college.
Is the layout not still the same?
Sid

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 12:30:49 pm »
Well, Just maybe we have started something that will get something changed.
I suspect that Brookmans Park Station is one of the nastiest/most dangerous in the suburbs of London.
When we came to live in Brookmans Park, I was told that a girl hed been killed, at night, about 20 years ago after being dragged into the track to the vet college.
Is the layout not still the same?
Sid

Anne Lock was a friend of ours. She was attacked at the bike shed next to the platform and was found dead near the railway bridge by Hawkshead Lane. She had ony been married a few weeks. Such a lovely person too. The two men responsilble were arrested and sent down for a very long time in prison. CCTV would prevent this happening again!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 05:05:23 pm »
British Transport police have arrested three youths in connection with the late night mugging of a local man at Brookmans Park Station last month. Police say the three are due to appear in court next week.

Click here for more details.

Editor's Note: This thread will now be locked for the duration of the court proceedings to protect against possible contempt of court.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 05:30:51 pm by David Brewer »

Tags: