Author Topic: Village broadband and high-speed optic fibre  (Read 268777 times)

Offline Sherlock

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Village broadband and high-speed optic fibre
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2006, 07:52:07 am »
I have spoken to a few of the neighbour here in Wesland and they are having the same problems as me

Someone has mention the introduction of WIMAX apparently this is a radio link so no need for telephone wires Does any one have more info on this???

MikeL

« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2006, 02:22:21 pm »
I live in The Gardens and upgraded my broadband from .5Kbs (which we have had for about 4 years) to "up to 8Mbs" yesterday, am now getting an indicated 1.9Mbs (using Zen). I find it hard to believe that it isn't possible to get broadband of some sort in Westlands.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:24:15 pm by MikeL »

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2006, 11:18:42 pm »
Anyone know why as I turned on my computer my broadband connected without me doing anything.  I've run McAfee virus scan and it came back clear.

Is is Windows looking for updates?  Or something more sinister?

Thanks,
Aidan

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2006, 06:51:32 am »
Hi Aidan,

My ADSL wireless modem router is set up to start and connect when the computer boots up. Mine is a Belkin and there is a user interface where you can disconnect if you don't want to be online. I don't think it's a problem or anything sinister, I think it's normal.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2006, 11:43:22 am »
This doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, as Dave has commented it could simply be something looking for an update.

There are lots of applications that look for updates over the internet, even something as unlikely as the Microsoft Intellipoint mouse driver has been known to try and make internet connections looking for updates.

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2006, 01:48:13 pm »
If you are running a firewall (pls don't say you are relying on the built in XP one) it should indicate to you in the activity log which application is trying to connect.
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline Govvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2006, 03:57:33 pm »
im in oaklands ave,, and use demon, 1.1 connection. Give them a try

I am on Demon also, the 2MBit service and my connection also says 1.1MBit. I have signed up for the Sky 16MBit package, but haven't had any responce from that yet.

When we had our adsl installed the BT guy was like "WoW" because our primary phone socket had some peice he had never seen before in it. He also told me, when he checked the connection after he fixed it, he showed me his tests that we could have a maximum of 220MBit or something, which I wasn't sure of. But then I could of been confused.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2006, 11:51:38 am »
I live on Swanley Bar Lane.  A noise filter was fitted to my incoming phone line several years ago because of interference from the nearby Brookmans Park Radio Transmitting Station.  I have just tried to go onto Broadband without success.  A computer engineer advises me that this is common in this area.  He says the remedy is for BT to change the noise filter to one which is ADSL compliant.

Has anyone else had this experience?  If so, what was the outcome?  This engineer says the ISP is the renter of the broadband half of the phone line so the ISP has to instruct BT.  However my ISP says I must instruct BT.  Very frustrating.  Having failed to speak to a human at BT I am now going to try their website to try and get action.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 11:53:15 am by Bob Horrocks »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2006, 12:21:22 pm »
Bob

I have had lots of cases of this - I've got two or three neighbours up and running on broadband just by removing the filter.

It's easy enough to remove the filter yourself although strictly speaking this isn't allowed as it is BT property.

You can get a BT filter to remove the radio interference (I got mine from the BP transmitting station who were very helpful) - fit this between the phone and the ADSL microfilter. In some cases the microfilter is sufficient to remove the radio interference anyway.

If you need any help let me know !

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2006, 06:22:59 pm »
We are setting up a new office in Station Road Welham Green and foolishly went with BT line and broadband. After several attempts they got the broadband up and running but after 3 attempts they cannot also filter the radio which comes through loud and clear. Having another go tomorrow so wish us luck. I remember when i was small BT or the GPO as it was then was a byeword for efficiency and competence.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2006, 12:41:47 pm »
Being a bit older than Peter by 20+ years, I recall that when I bought my first house circa 1970 it had a shared phone line because there were insufficient lines for the demand.  If you wanted a new line you had to wait ages to get one.

Sasquartch (where did that name come from???) has given me a suggestion for which many thanks.  I will take up and see what happens.

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2006, 02:23:01 pm »
All was well with my little old green Speedtouch 330 modem connecting to ADSL until a couple of weeks ago, when it started dropping more. I'd be surprised if that's because I've changed to a new laptop (it's fine most of the time, so I don't think I've fouled up the setup).

Has anyone else local been having more ADSL problems lately? (As I type this, my line's just dropped again.)

Also if I may, a question for the technically inclined. I want to set up a wireless network. The livebox which Orange sent me just won't connect to ADSL. Nor will the Belkin I bought to try out.  Belkin's help desk suggests there may be too much noise on the line, which makes me think of our local conditions again.

(I'm still slightly puzzled why the old modem seems better able to connect than the two new ones.)

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2007, 09:28:56 am »
My Plusnet ADSL connection has been fine although this is at 512k.

There are many reasons why ADSL can drop out, including dodgy modems, dodgy microfilters and problems with other equipment connected to the phone line.

Your ISP may also be a problem, it is possible to log onto the BT test system to check your connection if you suspect this.

Also, have you requested a speed upgrade for your line from your ISP ? The new method used (ADSL Max ????) is to increase the speed of the line until it fails and then back off the speed a little until a stable connection is achieved. The maximum speed may vary at different times of the day and this process is carried out for some time until the ADSL equipment has determined the best stable performance available on your particular phone line. Therefore, if this process is being carried out it is normal for your connection to drop out for a week or so. May be worth checking with your ISP. The fault should go away once the new speed has been finalised.

The Speedtouch 330 is a USB modem which is a 'cheap and cheerful' type normally given away by the ISP. The PC is controlling this so a PC problem can potentially cause problems. A far better and much more secure and robust solution is a modem router such as the excellent Netgear DG834G/GT or similar. The router maintains the ADSL connection and does not rely on USB and drivers in the PC. As a wireless router this would meet your requirements for wireless too.

I would steer clear of Belkin products as these seem to cause many wireless problems, I recently spent hours trying unsucessfully trying to get a XBox 360 connected wirelessly using WPA encryption without success. I have had great success with Netgear products and would recommend them, although there are many other makes available.

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2007, 10:03:00 pm »
Thanks for that detailed answer - much appreciated :)

The connection seems to have stabilised (so your guess may have been right), and Orange Livebox seems to be doing its stuff now, after their helpdesk changed a lot of my settings.

Many thanks.

Offline Bobb

« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2007, 05:16:45 pm »
We get dreadful problems with our line dropping all the time, BT won't do anything about it as we use a different provider and they just blame the equipment, though we are convinced it is the line that keeps dropping.  We were told by our ISP provider that we can not get more than 1mb in Brookmans Park as we are so far from the exchange.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2007, 08:36:12 pm »
Where abouts in Brookmans Park are you? I get around 1.8mb in Station Close near the village centre....

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2007, 10:55:21 pm »
I have never had a problem with my connection. I use www.speedtest.net to check my internet connection speed.

You will probably find that you will get a faster connection during the earlier hours of the day than later on.

For the record my connection will typically range from 1.5mb at worst but normally sits between 2mb and 3mb. My fastest yet was 3.836mb.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2007, 11:25:15 am »
It depends on where you live, some roads have had telephone cables replaced (eg Bradmore Way), yet other nearby streets still have the original 1950s aluminium cable which means 0.5-1Mb speeds at best.

Not much you can do about the quality of the line as BT don't guarantee ADSL performance, however if the line is at all crackly, ie has voice quality issues, BT will normally look at it, any problems with voice will normally cause problems for ADSL too.

The important thing to do is to check it is not your modem (if its a USB type best place for this is in the bin, get an ethernet router) or your internal phone wiring and/or filters. Always a good idea to disconnect the house wiring from the master socket and test with the router / modem plugged directly into the master socket. Only then can you really say whether it's a BT issue or not.

Offline Toffeeman

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2007, 10:14:46 am »
tvm for that -am glad to have my fears confirmed in one sense. BT told us that we are "so far from exchange that we can't have more than 750 speed", which is proving right. We also find connecting takes more than one try, & having a few laptops doesn't help.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2007, 10:33:06 am »
connecting takes more than one try, & having a few laptops doesn't help

You must be using a USB modem - you will definitely benefit from a proper modem/router. Not only more reliable but inherently safer too.

Offline antondegreat

• My ambition in life is 2 take over the world!
    • antonthegreat.deviantart
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2007, 01:14:42 pm »
i get drop offs frequently during peak hours

ive had bt come and install a radio filter (2years ago now probably) and i can still here voices down our phone line

upgrade the exchange sort our phonelines out ffs, why should we suffer for the radio mast, good money is paid for the internet and phone services. some serious issues need to be resolved by these companies...

(slightly edited by moderator)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 02:22:59 pm by Mermaid »
anton over & out
antonthegreat.deviantart

Offline shevans

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2007, 05:13:09 pm »
The SpeedTouch USB modems are very tolerant of long lines / noise / poor connections and filters. Nearly all BT engineers (working on your fault) will carry a Speedtouch of some description for testing with their laptop.

Trying the master BT socket, will all other telephones and telephone devices (modems/fax/sky) removed may help, as does trying another filter.  Also if you have  modern master BT socket the front lower panel can be unscrewed, which disconnects all the extensions. You then plug the ADSL filter into the exposed telephone socket. If this then gives you a good connecetion you know that the fault is internal. Warning not held liable if you manage to destroy your incoming line...

In cases like yours BT will normally fit an improved filtered master socket, which only provides as ADSL connection at the master socket.

Whilst USB ADSL modems are usually best avoided, in your case its the only device that will communicate back to the exchange. An all-in-one modem/firewall/router/wireless access point is great once you have a good connection.

Offline Clean Up Kid

« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2007, 09:14:39 pm »
Bt fobbed us off for a long time for being too far from the exchange etc. We finally managed to get an engineer to visit us by ringing bt sales(?) - who after checking the master socket, decided the master socket was in the wrong location (comes into the house upstairs). It was relocated downstairs and surprise, surprise problem solved! Not only do we have faster internet speed but we have never experienced the frequent dropping off we used to get.
It wasn't easy getting bt to send an engineer - a month of phone calls to their technical help and finally via sales we escalated the problem up to the chairmans office, but it was finally resolved along with 3 months free for our inconvenience.
Oh, and the other problem...bt and bt broadband are two separate companies...we wrongly assumed that by using bt (due to proximity of transmitting masts etc) we would be looked after. Bt broadband are no different to any other internet provider.
The master socket that was fitted, incidentally, was one with an improved  filter - may have helped.

John_fraser

« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2007, 09:33:54 am »
ive had bt come and install a radio filter (2yeiars ago now probably) and i can still here voices down our phone line

Isn't that the point?

Offline speerchucker

« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2007, 01:46:57 pm »
Adding to previous discussions on this topic (late as always).  Having recently got completely fed up with having no decent up-time on my aol broadband and constantly being told it was a BT problem, I decided to move to BT Broadband and give them all of the problems to sort out. 

True to their word, they fitted a nice home hub and gave me internet connectivity (Hooray!!).  However, now we have had it for a couple of weeks we seem to get intermittent connectivity again - it seems to go to sleep! 

The only way to wake it up seems to be to use the phone.  However, it can go down every 5 minutes or so making it very frustrating.  Anyone managed to overcome this?  Am I unique?  Help?

Offline sherlock1a

« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2007, 03:35:46 pm »
I suggest you contact the local 'A1 PC Doctor', I know he has solved many PC/connectivity problems, and in my experience he is first rate. He is not expensive.
Contact him on: 07976 386 271
Good luck!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2007, 04:00:46 pm »
If the problem was evident with AOL and BT Broadband it seems very likely it's a problem with the line.

Why not just report the fault to BT and let them sort it out - there shouldn't be any need to pay for a third party at this stage.

Offline speerchucker

« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2007, 05:34:43 pm »
Thanks.  Tried getting BT to look at it and they simply get it to run once while they are there, charge you because they could access broadband after a number of tries therefore 'it couldn't be the line' and then run like heck.  PC maintenance guy (not A1 but also well recommended) concluded that it must be a line issue. 

All very frustrating but what can you do?

I am resigned to frustration I think but thanks for the suggestions

The Chucker

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2008, 05:07:20 pm »
What speeds are people seeing in the village ?

I was originally on a 512Mb connection, I've just upgraded to an 'up-to-8M' service (same ISP, Plusnet) and my modem is now indicating 2848k down and 448k up. This is the first day since the upgrade and I know the line has to 'learn' the maximum speed it can support over a 10 day period - however would be interested to hear what others are getting.

I'm in Peplins Way which I believe is one of the roads furthest away from the exchange.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2008, 05:11:52 pm »
Hi sasquartch,

I recently had mine upgraded from 1m to a possible 8m. However, I am told that we are near the end of the line, so the speeds won't reach 8m (village end of Moffats).

I use the Speed Test site (http://www.speedtest.net/) to check and the speed fluctuates during the day (I work from home a lot).

Just tested it at 1710 and the download speed was 3324 kbps and the upload speed was 360 kbps. I am with BT Business.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: