Poll

Should people report those ignoring the hosepipe ban? Report a Waterhog.

Yes, the ban needs to be enforced.
14 (73.7%)
No, it's okay for people to use hosepipes if they want.
1 (5.3%)
Couldn't care less
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Hosepipe ban  (Read 18127 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Hosepipe ban
« on: July 19, 2005, 01:54:56 pm »
Three Valleys Water has sent out the following news release.

HELP US TO AVOID A HOSEPIPE BAN  

We are calling on all customers to help us avoid a hosepipe ban this year by voluntarily easing up on tap water in hot weather. 

Being sensible about water use will mean there's enough for everyone. Huge surges in demand at peak times means some people are experiencing low water pressure, but we can stop this happening if we all ease up. 

We don't want to spoil people's fun in the sun, but filling large leisure pools and using hosepipes and sprinklers means the strain on the water supply is immense. 

We can all make a collective impact by taking some simple measures such as:

• Having a quick shower rather than a bath
  • Refraining from using a garden hosepipe and sprinklers
  • Using a bucket of water to wash the car
  • Using a cup when cleaning your teeth rather than leaving the tap running
  • Using washing machines and dishwashers on a full load

« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 04:12:52 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Max

Re: Hosepipe ban
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 07:10:58 am »
A few years ago we had quite a bad water shortage in Greece (my bit of it, anyway), and amongst other measures, we collected shower water in buckets and used it to flush the toilet (really, there is no need for water used for this purpose to be clean enough to drink!)

After a few days of doing this, I later had the idea of placing an old oil drum below the bathroom window and syphoning all shower/washing water and the water from the washing machine into this - a very simple thing to do, which leaves you with a bulk supply of water suitable for all manner of purposes, other than drinking.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 06:17:47 am »
The BBC is reporting that water companies in south-east England are being urged to introduce hosepipe bans to avoid more extreme water-saving measures such as standpipes and rota cuts.

The warning comes from the Environment Agency.

The companies include Three Valleys Water, which serves this area.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 06:23:04 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 08:51:22 pm »
A local hosepipe ban comes into force from Monday, April 3. According to Three Valleys Water, the ban will continue indefinitely. Click here for more details.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:08:17 am by David Brewer »

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 09:26:40 pm »
Looks like both of the Great cars will be washed on Sunday morning then.   ;D
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

sarg3

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 11:15:34 pm »
ahhh but mine is a company car,,, therefore no ban as i read the rules

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 10:41:24 am »
The water levels in Gobions Woodland are as high as I've seen them in recent years. There are no dry river beds at all. I wonder how many downpours we need to replenish the reservoirs.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 10:06:30 am »
In an effort to help gardeners cope with the hosepipe ban and expected drought, Herts County Council is offering water butts for less than half the recommended retail price. Click here for more details.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 07:47:05 am »
Have to be careful here not to break forum rules, but I know that one of the local retailers in the village also sells water butts a lot cheaper than you might expect, and it would be good if people supported their local shops rather than ordering from the county council....
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 08:14:59 pm »
Hi James, any help to save money is welcome. I will start at one of the four hairdressers and work my way round the village until I find the retailer you are referring to.

;)

David

Offline mungroo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 08:09:39 am »
Do they also have those water diversion kits ? These are very useful (in fact I found my water butt to be as much use as a chocolate tea cup without one) but even rarer than gold dust at the moment.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 04:09:38 pm »
Interesting discussion in the pub last night with two friends about whether you would report someone for using a hosepipe during the ban. Should people report neighbours for ignoring the ban? Three Valleys has a page where you can do so anonymously. Click here to access it. So, what do people think? I've added a poll to test public opinion. Scroll to the top of this thread to vote.

David
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 04:13:56 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 09:44:50 pm »
Well I ain't naming names but I know of at least two people near me who have used water for garden irrigation or pressure hosing their patio in the last few days. I don't think I will report them to 3V (unless I see it happening again..........).

But it begs the question, if a garden irrigation system is underground, fed by "pipes" not "hose", is it covered by the ban or not? Ditto with the pressure washer - I realise there's a hose connecting it to the tap but not a conventional green/yellow one.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 10:06:11 pm »
I presume people are still allowed to fill swimming pools (sorry I know I should look it up - not that I've got a swimming pool mind!)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 10:08:24 pm »
Do the people who voted 'Couldn't care less' not mind if we are forced to used stand pipes? No dish washers, no washing machines, no showers, no baths?

Scroll to the top of this thread to vote.

David
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:34:46 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 03:39:52 pm »
The reason why we are running out of water is because of the environment. The world is warming up and water is running out, the government obviously need to think about the rising population and slow it down by stopping people moving here. If they started to reduce all the pollution and Co2 emissions then things may improve. Ken livingston was obviously stupid to reject a de-salination plant, at lest this would provide more water from the sea to resovoirs. Think what it will be like in 30 years time if all the pollution and water shortages occur!!!!!

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 08:45:44 pm »
The Independent had an interesting front page today on water shortages across the country. It split the map of the UK into areas of 'high risk', 'at risk' and 'normal risk' of drought across the coming summer and also looked at each water company's % of water leakage. There are probably no surprises there - we are in an 'at risk' area - but at least Three Valleys Water has the lowest leakage at 10%. The highest is Thames at a whopping 32.7%!

John_fraser

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 01:05:06 pm »
This drought is terrible. We’re not allowed to use a hose to water the garden, but the dry spells are too brief and too short to allow us to water gardens with a can. No wonder the lawns are all turning brown and dyeing. If the drought doesn’t end soon we’ll be getting socked to the skin while we wait in a queue for the stand pipe.

Offline pinegrover

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 09:58:31 pm »
A thought...is it true that the rain that prevents the watering of the garden in the summer is not the same as the rain that fills the reservoirs in the winter. 

As a starting point:-
It falls at different times of the year.
The ground temperature is different.
One is over in a short period, one lasts somewhat longer.
Usage varies over the seasons.

Now if we want to move this on to a discussion about bills, post away...

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 02:42:05 pm »
My grass (lawn???) is too wet to cut, as is the hedge which is growing like mad.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 03:57:33 pm »
I don't think we can cut our hedges till the end of the nesting season anyway can we? I'm sure Dave put something to that effect on the website last year .....

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 03:17:46 pm »
Water meters, whether you want one or not . . .
From the Times

MILLIONS of households in London and the South of England may be forced to install water meters to guarantee security of supply.

Click for more..

Makes sense to me. We have a water meter, although they were an option when they were introduced. Certainly makes you careful about what you use.

David

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 04:09:19 pm »
Yeah a good idea for the environment and for using water wisely...but my gripe is that it's just making the water companies profit.  That article said:
"Profits at Anglian Water trebled to £109 million this year and Yorkshire Water reported a rise in profits of 16 per cent to £174 million. "
Perhaps they should plough some of that money back into the infrastructure and making more reservoirs etc.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 04:14:00 pm »
I was interested in the following stats about Three Valleys Water on the BBC News Online site.

Apparently leakage accounts for the equivalent of 120 litres per property per day, which is 149m litres a year.

• Population supplied: 2.9m
  • Daily supply: 897m litres
  • Mains pipe: 14,000 km
  • Leakage: 149m litres/day (120 litres/property/day)
  • Supply source: 39% surface, 55% ground, 6% mixed

Click here for the report.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 05:41:07 pm »
And I heard recently on a news programme on TV (don't know how true this is!), but last year Thames Waters sold off a couple of reservoirs for development....go figure.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 05:59:14 pm »
Yes, but that was denied on one of the lunchtime radio shows, either World At One or Five Live, can't remember which I had on.

David

John_fraser

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 06:29:18 pm »
from www.telegraph.co.uk 2nd May

Thames Water's reservoirs are almost full and it has banned the use of garden hoses and the washing of cars. But it relies on reservoirs for only a third of supplies and for the rest on ground water - now very low - and what it can take from the river at times of high rainfall. London receives less rain than Dallas, Istanbul and Rome and 55 per cent of all that falls is used, a rate exceeded only in the world's driest places, such as Israel and Jordan.

Defending its £1 billion five-year programme to replace leaking mains, Thames says that more than 30 per cent of its pipes - totalling 3,000 miles - are more than 150 years old. Many of the worst leaks date from the Blitz, when iron pipes were patched up to restore services damaged during nights of bombing and not replaced when the war ended.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 06:46:32 pm »
We had the pipe the connects our house to the main in the road replaced a few years back. What they dug out was a twisted, corroded tangle of metal (I think it was lead). Having seen that, I am not suprised there are so many leaks. After replacing the pipe we immediately noticed an improved flow. The water even seemed to taste better, although that was probably in our imagination.

David
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:48:16 pm by David Brewer »

Offline barmy

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 11:28:58 pm »
Hosepipe Bans, like all measures introduced to lock the stable door after the horse has bolted, is ridiculously contradictory and clearly written by a cheap intern from the Mongolian Steppes, working at TVW HQ.  I illustrate:

1.  You are NOT allowed to use a hosepipe or any kind of irrigation system to water you garden.  You CAN, however, use a hosepipe to water your patio?
2.  You are NOT allowed to use a hosepipe or pressure water to wash your car.  You ARE however allowed to use a pressure washer for "Other Purposes" - but are asked to be "Sensible".  So presumably I can pressure wash my garden / patio freely?
3.  You are allowed to use a hosepipe to top up ponds, fill swimming pools and paddling pools - most of which require a large amount of water!
4.  You are allowed to fill your watering can with a hosepipe - so presumably, I can connect my hosepipe to my watering can and wonder around the garden watering my plants - if the pressure washer were to break?

So really, it's a great big waste of time.  :icon_jokercolor:

See link:  http://www.welhat.gov.uk/environmentplanning/dnld_100006/Three_Valleys_hosepipe_ban.doc

And then download the fact sheet!

B

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 09:26:17 am »
I don't recall ever having received any letter from Three Valleys about the hosepipe ban - so how enforcable is it anyway ?

If I said I had not heard about it through the media what would the position be if I was caught using a hosepipe.

And is it just an urban myth that a helicopter is used to spot people watering their gardens with a sprinkler ?

Tags: