Author Topic: Buncefield explosion felt in Brookmans Park  (Read 15928 times)

rognjac

Re: Buncefield explosion felt in Brookmans Park
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2005, 11:26:30 am »
[
In a statement, the council says that it has been "working towards reopening, but the safety of children and young people has been paramount and we have followed health guidance".

A translation of we have followed health guidance is exactly as said: donít blame us because we didnít make the decision either

In this instance the advice was given by the Health Protection Agency. The HPA doesn't have the power to shut schools - only school governors / Education Authorities can do that. So the HPA gives the advice and the governors / Ed. Authorities make the decision, base upon that advice. Can't see too much evidence of CYA in that, or any other way in which it could work.

John_fraser

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2005, 07:12:51 pm »
Sorry, but I canít see how what you wrote differs from what I said. One party gave Ďadviceí i.e. they did not make the decision. The other party closed the schools and libraries because of the advice they received i.e. they canít be held responsible for making the decision, which effectively means that they did not make the decision. If the welfare of the children was the main concern then why where cinemas, pubs, play centres, private schools, offices and numerous other places that would have been affected by the lack of fire cover not also closed?  If the reason for closure was, as James suggested, the danger of pollution then the above should have been closed anyway as many of the children off school on Tuesday would have gone to some or all of these places and why were the parks not closed?

Interestingly the HPA Ė which is a new one on me Ė posted the following on Monday, the day before most of the schools closed.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/explosions/hemel_Q_As.htm
Q. My children were playing outside when the smoke cloud came over. Are they at risk?
A. No. If they did not experience any symptoms at the time of the exposure they are unlikely to have any now.

P.S. Sorry if anyone finds 217 words too long to read

rognjac

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 05:28:24 pm »
As an emergency planner outside Hertfordshire I was receiving† the advice given by the HPA during the event, which was that the smoke was of minimal risk to anyone except the vulnerable, which in this instance† meant children and elderly, plus anyone else at risk, asthmatics etc. The advice related to schools in a 10 mile radius. It was this advice that the Herts Education Authority acted upon.

The media put their own interpretation on the school closures, quoting reasons such as reduced fire cover, reducing trafffic congestion etc. No truth in any of it, although obviously eliminating the school run in Hemel could have been a beneficial side effect.

Offline bazza

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2006, 01:50:24 am »
Slept through the whole thing ;D

Tags: