Author Topic: Scam warnings  (Read 19369 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Scam warnings
« on: April 17, 2004, 11:32:19 am »
Beware of bogus e-mail messages asking for your banking details.  I received a warning when I logged on to my online banking this morning (see below).
A number of fraudulent e-mails are currently in circulation. The e-mails request that customers verify their security details by clicking on a link in the email. We would never ask our customers to do this. Please do not click on the link.

Last night a friend told me he had received something similar. The scam is aimed at collecting your private banking details. My bank's advice is to never click on the links offered or fill in details and to report it to them and delete the e-mail.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 11:42:53 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline trinity

• Opinions on many things
Re: Scam warnings
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 05:56:22 pm »
My bank's advice is to never click on the links offered or fill in details and to report it to them and delete the e-mail.

Why should your bank mail you, anyway ?  If it does, it should be encrypted (your public key), and signed (your bank's secret key).

If you get anything in cleartext from any bank, it should be automatically deleted - since it is either illegitimate, or the bank is being clueless.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 09:36:31 am »
Police have e-mailed this site warning that hoax letters are dropping through local letter boxes promising to deposit large amounts of money in your bank account. Officers are urging people not to respond to the scam, which they say could leave the victims in debt and possibly associated with criminal activity. More details.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 09:45:56 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 12:40:07 pm »
I recently received my computer line phone bill. Usually this is virtually nil except for the service charge.
I had been billed nearly £50 for three consecutive 12 minutes and 57 seconds premium rate numbers.
Initially BT said they would refund it. Now they are saying it is down to me.
The numbers were dialed by remote access to my computer by a company in Germany which is under investigation.
The regulator of the premium rate industry www.icstis.org.uk is investigating this number. They give details of the person concerned on their site and it is up to me to sue them for the money.
I would advise everyone to get call baring to these numbers to prevent it occuring. BT do this and charge for it of course.
Please be warned.
regards,
jet
And before anyone asks no I did not ring the pervy sites involved, it is a pure scam.

Offline Swan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 11:57:59 am »
Jet

Just in case you haven't already, you need to check your PC for diallers, any problems PM me

Swan
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 08:40:32 pm »
An all too common scam I'm afraid.

Something that broadband users are (should be)immune to !

However a friend on broadband was caught out - he had forgotten to unplug his modem after getting broadband and incurred about 30 quid's worth of bills before realising what had happened.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 08:32:04 pm »
Herts police have e-mailed this site warning about a threatening mail scam operating in the area. According to the police, letters claiming to be from a clairvoyant have been sent to residents in Hertfordshire from Geneva.

The letters state that the addressee has luck coming their way, but in order to receive this luck, they must send the clairvoyant money and confirmation of bank and credit card details.

The letters then warn that if money is not paid, 'a shifty shadow wearing a mask may enter the householder’s life and property with disturbing consequences.

Chief Inspector Fiona Gaskell of the Community Safety Team says the mail scams work by preying on the fears of householders and are often very persuasive.

“We would like to remind people about the dangers of giving out personal or banking details to any stranger. If you receive any suspicious mail, please report it to the Trading Standards Hotline on 0845 60 444 66.”

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 10:57:23 pm »
In the Welwyn Hatfield Times this week there is a letter on page 17 headed 'Phone scam plays on your good will'. (I think that our editor can provide a link to it - I can't, I'm not 'techie' enough). It describes a situation where a respectable looking woman presents herself at your door and asks to use your phone because her car has broken down and she needs to call her husband. You allow her to do so, she takes a few minutes because 'they have to get him out of a meeting'. Eventually the call is concluded and she leaves. When your next bill comes in, you discover that your visitor has rung a premium rate number, set up by herself in advance, which charges £50 per minute!

Season's Greetings!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 11:01:42 pm »
Hi Mermaid,

Here is the link to the letter you refer to.  

Click here to read the letter on the WHT site.

:)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 11:41:27 pm »
Unlike the Welwyn Hatfield Times to fall for something like that - it's (Yet another) 'hoax' the sort of which you might get flooding your email box with fake viruses. See

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/phonescam.html

There is, to the best of my knowledge, and also to the writer of that article, no phone line in the country you could set up to be £50/minute - the most is £1.50. Who on earth would pay £50/minute for information anyway?!!!

Note that in theory this could happen (although probably with a much lower cost), but the article above has not found any proof that is ever has happened.

James
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 11:47:59 pm by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 08:20:13 pm »
A user of this site, who has a brookmans.com email address, has warned that a scam seems to be doing the rounds. He received an email that said it came from 'webmaster@brookmans.com with a heading which said...

"Warning your e-mail account will be closed. We attach some important information regarding your account. Attached is a download attachment 'instructions.zip"

If you receive one of these don't download it. The mail did not come from this site and therefore it could be a suspicious download.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 10:19:00 pm »
It appears that yet another scam is doing the rounds.

I have just received this...

BANK Transaction Confirmation
Please retain for your records
Thank you

Transaction details:
Transaction for the value of: GBP 286.95
Description: DVD Zone Shop Payment
Merchant's bank ID: (they give an id)
Pre-Authorisation Date/Time: 21/Aug/2005 11:41:52
Transaction ID: (they give a transaction ID number)
This is not a tax receipt.

This confirmation indicates that your bank transaction has been processed successfully.
Your new account has been successfully created with the following details:

Web Address: (they offer a URL - clearly wanting you to click on it)
Login Name: (they give a user name)
Password: (they give a password)

If you have any questions about your order (including refunds, delivery status, wanting to
cancel your order),please do not hesitate to contact our sales team by emailing (they then give an email address - clearly, if you respond they then have another valid email to spam or sell on to other spammers)

Thank you for shopping.
DVD Zone Shop Team.

As with all these things, don't click on anything, don't reply (and thereby confirm you exist and open yourself up to spam), just delete and then empty your waste basket.

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 08:49:35 am »
Thanks for the warning

Just keep checking those credit cards / bank balances  ;)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 05:42:42 pm »
Another banking scam seems to be going the rounds. I've just received this. If you get one of these, don't click on the link or enter personal details. (I am not even a Woolwich member, but someone who receives this will be). Clearly, by the wording of the text, they try to scare people into logging on and revealing information. Don't be fooled.

The service mail

Dear Woolwich member,

Woolwich is commited to maintaining a safe environment for our customers. To protect the security of your account, Woolwich, employs some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our antifraud teams regulary screen the Woolwich banking system for unusual activity.

We are contacting you to remind you that on October 17, 2005 our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account. In accordance with Woolwich User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been compromised, access to your account was limited. Protecting the security of your account and of the Woolwich is our primary concern. Therefore, as a reventative measure, we have temporary limited access to sensitive account features. To restore youj account access, please take the following steps to ensure that your account has not been compromised: 

Login to your Woolwich Internet Banking account. In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to fill in all the required information, including your name and your account number

Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawals or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure that no changes were made. If any unauthorized activity has been taken on your account, report this to Woolwich staff immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

Log On for Internet Banking (here they offer a link, which I have removed)

Thank you for your promt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure meant to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience. 

Sincerely,
Woolwich, Account Review Department

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 11:22:24 pm »
Although this is a far from failsafe way of identifying scams, check for the quality of the written English. A lot of these emails are written by individuals in other countries and their grasp of English is not the best (although they are getting better). Things like

We are contacting you to remind you that on October 17, 2005 our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account. In accordance with Woolwich User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been compromised, access to your account was limited.

This just scans really badly - there shold be the word 'the' before Woolwich and I wold have put 'has been' before limited at the end. And 'remind you?' 'tell you' surely!

Just remember that, as others have said, reputable companies and banks will NEVER email you asking you to visit webpages where you have to type in your username/password/account details/credit card number/PIN etc for 'security reasons'. Find a phone number and ring them up if you are in any doubt.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 10:21:03 am »
A good thing to do is to get in the habit of NEVER clicking on a link in an email supposedly from your bank or other financial institution. One institution which is very poor in this respect is Egg, who DO unfortunately invite you to log in to your account from a link in an email.

So, for example, in the example James quoted, just start your browser and type in www.woolwich.co.uk - then you can be sure you're starting at the right site.

With banks etc, check that after logon you are on a secure site (URL begins with https://) and that (on IE anyway) the padlock symbol is displayed.

Even if a URL looks OK it may not be, there was an eBay scam recently when a link in a bogus email was to http://my.ebay.co.uk.eBayISAPI.dll.something.com which looks at first sight to be OK.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 12:00:41 pm »
Sadly the quality of English is no guide today!  Neither is spelling since I have been guilty of not checking my rather inadequate typing for spelling mistakes.  Sorry about that but we all seem to be guilty of that.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 07:26:29 pm »
The Neighbourhood Watch liaison officer has issued a warning about a manure scam currently operating in the area. Two men have been driving round the area in a white and brown open back truck, dumping manure on gardens and the demanding payment.  Click here for more details.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 06:34:07 pm »
Has anyone else received scams like this one?  Anyway, beware, and don't click on the link.

Dear Customer.

You've specified this e-mail as reachable. 

Sorry,we were unable to process your transaction at this time for the following reason: 

Transaction Denied by Bank. 

Order details:

Date: 10/28/05
Order number is: 033865

You have ordered the following:

Price
RING 1        170.80
RING 2         50.00
Setup fee       9.00

+VAT            4.52

Click on the LINK TO INVOICE:

(this is where they place a link - probably to confirm your email address)

GOLDNOW SHOP Billing Team.

Thank you for choosing CCBill as the eMerchant for your subscription!

Clearly, by clicking on the link you'll be giving them info you may regret passing on.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 09:03:41 am »
Another email scam warning. A user of this site has received the following message. If you get a similar message, please don't click on the link. The messages have not been sent by the Brookmans Park Newsletter team and the link points to another site.

Here is the type of message you might receive.

Mail Delivery Failure

If the message will not displayed automatically,
follow the link to read the delivered message.

Received message is available at:

brookmans.com/inbox/youremailusernameisusuallyinsertedhere/read.php?sessionid-****

Again, if you receive one of these emails do not click on this link. There is no such file on the www.brookmans.com server and a link to another site is hidden behind that URL.

David

Offline falkor

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 10:25:41 am »
You may be interested to read this small success against spammers published on BBC News Online    Click the headline to read the article. Businessman wins e-mail spam case 

;D

Editor's Note: Edited to remove copyright material. The BBC's rules on copyright can be read by clicking here. It's okay to paraphrase content in the forum, give an attribution and then link to the content, but not to copy it directly.  This site's rules on copying content from another site are covered in the fourth paragraph in the forum agreement all signed up to when registering. Click here to read the forum agreement. The only exception is where organisations offer this site content to publish as in the case of news releases from Hertfordshire Constabularly etc.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 11:52:56 am by Editor »

ottoD

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 10:44:44 am »
Please ensure that all personal information contained in your rubbish is properly destroyed by shredding or tearing up addresses and account numbers.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 06:14:09 am »
A new scam dropped into my mailbox overnight. It was a spoof mail pretending to come from Amazon. I have blanked out various details in the message below. It read...

Dear customer!
We're writing to let you know that we've initiated a transfer from your bank account (Last 4-digits: ****) for the following amount:

GBP 313.14  (ORDER #******* , DATE #20.03.2006)

Funds should leave account in approximately three to five working days.

See your statement details in attachment.

To review your account at any time, please access your Account Summary:
https://***********************************
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this settlement, please contact us at *****************

Amazon.co.uk  Marketplace -- Amazon Services Europe S.a.r.l.
Sell Your Stuff
http://www.amazon.co.uk

Clearly, the aim is to get you to click on the link and, as usual, confirm banking details, thereby giving them away. The card number they had for me was presumably a randomly generated number, because it didn't match any I have.

David

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 12:29:16 am »
A new scam dropped into my mailbox overnight. It was a spoof mail pretending to come from Amazon.

I've had at least 5 of them today on various different work and private email addresses.

supersonic
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 12:31:41 am by supersonic »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 02:25:07 pm »
I've just read a warning on BBC News Online. According to the BBC, spam e-mails are being sent out which contain BBC News stories. The aim is to trick users to click on a link that takes them to a malicious website which installs software in order to monitor online financial activity. Click here for the story.

Offline ChessMan

• Forum Member
    • LH and BP Chess Club
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 10:53:44 pm »
New one from our local police:-
There is a Mail Scam passing around the Hertsmere area.
You may receive an Official looking Card through your Letter Boxes from a Company called PDS ( Parcel Delivery Service) or similar name, stating you have a Parcel awaiting Delivery Instructions. The Card states you have to ring a Number 0906 6611 911 to find out more about this.
This number and numbers like this will Start a recorded Message which will cost you over £1.50 a Minute.
Calls can last for 5 Minutes or more.
Please DO NOT FALL FOR THIS MAIL SCAM.
If you get one of these Cards please DO NOT RING THE NUMBER, but do contact your local Trading Standards
Office an Inform them of this attempt to get money out of you. Some of the Cards have the details of the costs printed in very small print.
Please be on your Guard, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Seems very feasible to me!

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2006, 12:36:51 am »
Thanks for that.

I heard about this somewhere else this evening.  The fact the number is an '09' number should be enough to warn people it's a scam.  (I have blocked all 09 numbers anyway having once been caught out by an internet dialler! - you can ring BT to block them for free)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 10:13:21 am »
The latest scam - as far as I know!

This came today from 'Webmail support team'.  If anyone replies to this, they need their head examining.  It says;

Attn: Webmail Account Owner
This message is from web mail admin messaging center to all web mail account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account center.We are canceling unused web mail email account to create more space for new
accounts.To prevent your account from closing you will have to update it below to know it's status as a currently used account.

CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW
Email Username :  ...........................
Email Password :  ...........................
Date of Birth : .............................
Country or Territory:........................

Warning!!! Any account owner that refuses to update his/her account within Three days of this update notification will loose his/her account permanently.

Thank you for using web mail
Support Team
Warning Code :ID67565434
Contact email:webaccount

Tags: