Author Topic: Best thing about the village  (Read 3896 times)

Offline brookmans.com tech support

• Administrator
  • Opinions on some things
  • James Bentall
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Best thing about the village
« on: August 01, 2002, 07:25:16 pm »
We've had lots and lots of threads on the forum about things that some individuals think are wrong with the village, so I thought it might be time for a different idea. What do people think the best thing about living in Brookmans Park is?
Brookmans Park Community Website - content created by the community for the community

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Best thing about the village
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 12:45:56 am »
 This is obviously a very sour subject. People tend not to notice the good points as they are too busy looking for those bad areas which need improving. When you you look at something you will never be 100% happy with it and if you are then you will look for ways to improve on it. I guess this is how people look at the village. On several of the other threads you hear people say how much they love living in the village, but then they all have their own view on how it could be better.

Offline Margaret

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 01:57:29 pm »
 :D
The best thing about the village is just that it is a village and the village green is surrounded by shops with (on the whole) friendly people serving you, and a great community spirit. Unfortunately on that sour note, this has been somewhiat eroded by Chancellors change of status alienating themselves from their community and increasing the number of children who have their own communities, outside the area. Also there seems to be more people who live here but don't join in the village life like using the local facilities. But I still love living here and hope things will improve.

Offline anna

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 03:22:39 pm »
I feel very lucky to live here. The streets are pretty and well cared for. To take a walk round here is always a pleasure.  People I have met have always been very friendly.  Of course no where is perfect, but you have to drive through some of the very built up areas in London to realise that we are surrounded by beauty.

I agree with others and think its a shame that more people don't get involved with the community, and perhaps if Chancellors can re-consider the admissions, we might get back some of that community spirit. It would be nice if the village were a little more united, and the kids got to know other local kids. That might reduce some of the traffic on the roads.

But on the whole, I'm very happy here..........

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2002, 02:32:25 pm »
This is indeed a nice and pretty village to live in, and in that I fully agree with the previous posts. However, there are two areas that could be improved upon, which would make Brookmans Park a friendlier place to live in.

Anna mentioned the lack of community spirit. I agree, and also would call it a lack of 'sense of belonging to a community'. The village is spread-out and people tend to use their cars to get around - thus talk less. More pedestrian walkways (e.g. Georges Wood Road) might help herein and also improve safety. And what about cycle paths? True - there are some hilly stretches, but on the whole cycling would be very feasible. Cycling would be a lot safer if there would be either cycle paths or parts of theroad designated for cycling, and it would also enable more school children to go to school on bike rather than by bike. Welwyn Hatfield Council has been actively propagating this in other parts of the county. It's just an idea - any comments?

Secondly - the lack of youth facilities. There is as yet no good focus for activities for young people in this village, as is being discussed elsewhere on this Forum. It indeed would also help if Chancellor's would reevrse its admission policy, so that more local youths could stay here rather than being bused or driven elsewhere.

Caroline
Caroline

Offline Zorro

• oppressors tremble at my name
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2002, 09:18:58 pm »
Buenos Dios muchachos,
eet eees a strange theeng, on veeseting the local hostelry I went to tie up tornado to the bushes of zee otel and caramba zae are gone, ees most inconvenient,
I look at ze shops and I see a new won which loooks more like sometheeng in your soho, ho ho. Santa Maria eet gets worse I notice gangs of bandidos on mopeds tearing around and meeting een various groups, mucho noise, mucho bad driving.All een a feew weeeks, is BP trying to twin with 'atfield or P.B. so sad no won cares.
Tears before siesta time I thheenk,
up Tornado and awaay
Zorro Defender of the oppressed

Offline aqueous transmission

• liquid communication ... simple really
    • digitalblasphemy
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2002, 11:00:41 pm »
haing lived here for 11 years now, a good two thirds of my life, i can say i love pretty much everything about brookmans park...much better than where i used to live in potters bar. strres are (on the whole) fairly quiet, gobians is always there if you wanna get away, the village is but a stone's throw away (safety notice: don't throw stones) all my mate's houses are strategicly place around the village in case i wanna freeload.

now i'm just dreading the day when i have to up sticks and leave :-(

aqueous,
              satisfied resident
'to obtain a bird's-eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze'

Offline Ann

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 11:55:17 pm »
 :)   Little has changed since my childhood of:-
      The Village Green
      The Primary School
      The path along by the railway line

And at my age it is nice to reflect on your life in Brookmans Park.
How many other residents can say that, I wonder.....

Tags: