Author Topic: Return of the beast of Brookmans Park??  (Read 65904 times)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Re: Return of the beast of Brookmans Park??
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2006, 01:22:12 pm »
Once more this topic is back in the news....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4811820.stm

It seems we might not be alone after all...

A

John_fraser

« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2006, 03:19:55 pm »
slow news day

Offline Beez

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2006, 09:59:38 am »
Just before Christmas 2005, I searched the internet for any sightings of a large cat.  My wife and I have a stable yard and 20 odd acres just outside Northaw.  I was interested to read about the so-called Beast of Brookmans Park.  The reason for my search was that on arriving one night at the stable yard, one of our Shetland Ponies was discovered having been wrestled face down in the mud covered in blood. She was just standing but very shaken up.  Horse injuries are quite common and assumed she'd been kicked by one of the horses.  Due to the amount of blood and the severity of the injury we called our vets - the RVC.  Having cleaned the wound, the emergency call-out vet found two very deep cuts to her neck surrounded by other scratch marks.  The cuts were too deep for a dog and could only put it down to some kind of large cat. 

I am a member of Cuffley Tennis Club and over a pint one night shortly afterwards, I discovered that 20 or so people had also spotted this panther/puma strolling as large as life one Sunday afternoon along Northaw Road East.  In fact my tennis partner, who is somewhat of a sceptic, also spied it and called the police and was later interviewed by the Hertfordshire Mercury.  Our regular vet didn't actually believe his colleague who was on emergency call out that night, but couldn't actually put it down to anything else.  I have since learnt from a lecturer at Oaklands College that he was told that a collector of black pumas allegedly released three pumas into Cuffley Great Woods some years ago after a change in the dangerous animals act.  Whilst this was probably a few years ago, it is quite possible that a couple of these pumas may have bred.  I have also learnt that pumas have large territories (several miles square) and live on their own.  Our farrier has a client near Tewin who has also spied a puma but couldn't get to his gun quick enough.  So it is quite possible that there are two or three pumas out there which would account for the reports coming in from such a wide area.

All has been quiet for a few months until last night.  We came to the yard to find the same pony with another huge gash on her neck.  As luck would have it, our regular vet was on all out duty and came quickly.  The wound was this time on the other side of her neck and was about 2 inches deep and had penetrated 3 to 4 inches down.  The vet could put his whole index finger in the gash.  She also had the same tell-tale scratches around the area.  Our vet can put it down to nothing else but a large cat.

Our little pony Thelma used to be a very cheeky and churpy little pony, but hasn't really got over the first attack.  She has become sullen and subdued and we don't know what affect this latest attack will have on her if she survives.  She is the oldest and smallest pony we have and obviously the most vunerable.  We also have a couple of over-fed pet sheep and were curious as to why they weren't attacked.  But we have been told that pumas don't like the taste of sheep and find their wool a problem.  Our dogs (two black labs)  have picked up some strong scents over the past few days.  In fact one of the neighbours thought that she'd seen one of our dogs yesterday day time as she saw a large black animal walk across the drive, but the dogs were not there all day.  We have checked our CCTV but can only make out a small blob, which in fairness could be aything.  I have, like some of your readers, also heard blood chilling screams of animals being killed over the past few years.  The victims are clearly in a lot of pain.  We are surrounded by woods which is brimming with wildlife, probably the ideal environment for a puma.

I completely understand why people would be so sceptical.  But with so many sightings and evidence such as this (and hundreds of pounds of vet bills to boot!), I am frustrated that no-one seems to take this seriously.  I appreciate that a wild puma is extremely unlikelyand the stories seem far fetched, but it is not impossible.  I feel angry when I read sarcastic comments on this forum.  When will people actually sit up and take notice - when it eventually attacks a child??!!!  If anyone has seen a sighting recently, I would very much like to know.  And please don't get in touch if you just want to make fun!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2006, 05:35:31 pm »

Our little pony Thelma used to be a very cheeky and churpy little pony, but hasn't really got over the first attack.  She has become sullen and subdued and we don't know what affect this latest attack will have on her...

The owner tells me that Thelma is recovering well after her latest ordeal. We have a picture of her (taken before the two attacks) in a news item about the incident on the site. Click here to read it.

Coincidentally, this weekend there is a conference on big cats in Britain. The first national British Big Cats Conference is being held between March 24-26 at The Sun Inn Hotel, Marston Trussell, Market Harborough, Leicestershire. Click here for the conference website.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2006, 10:54:17 am »
The Welwyn Hatfield Times has followed up the story of Thelma, the Shetland pony, who was victim of a mysterious attack. The paper has a fresh picture of the pony taken after the attack. Click here for the WHT article.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2006, 04:12:47 pm »
The Welwyn Hatfield Times is reporting that a TV crew is going to try to capture the so-called 'Beast of Brookmans Park' on film. According to the WHT, the Channel Five show Big Cat Search.

Click here for more details.

Offline Govvy

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2006, 03:05:12 pm »
LOL, I hope they catch the big cat, that would be fun if they do get some footage. Then we can discard the myth of Jet on her midnight strolls. :)

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2006, 08:29:23 am »
I've just been reading all the reports about the Return of the Beast. I personally find it hard to believe there is a big cat in the area because it would be so easy to track with a well trained dog as a big cat like a panther would have such a strong scent.  I've done alot of hunting and find it odd that a dog has not been used for this purpose. You don't need state of the art tracking devices, just two good dogs would do the trick. Go to  the area where the cat was last seen, let the dogs pick up the scent and I'd guarantee you 100% success of finding the 'beast'! I would offer to do this myself but now live in Australia where I often track wild domestic cats which are a huge problem to the native wildlife.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2006, 12:58:49 pm »
On the BBC today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5353882.stm

So perhaps not quite so unlikely...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2006, 01:06:08 pm »
I'll get working on the headlines now.

"The panda of Potters Bar" and "The wallabies of Welham Green".

:)

David

Offline Govvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2006, 12:46:56 pm »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2006, 05:24:43 pm »
'My panther' !!!!

So it is yours.  At last we have found out who owns the animal!

Offline Largey

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2007, 09:43:45 pm »
I am not sure about all thisbeast business but... At the beginning of the year whilst walking along a footpath from the A1 / Swanland Road towards the Mott & Bailey castle, I saw a footprint on the floor which I could not attribute to a particular animal. Maybe someone on the forums can assist.
I drew a ring around the paw print.....Thoughts please ?

Paul

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2007, 09:49:09 pm »
I think it was my mother-in-laws!!

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2007, 10:40:37 pm »
Clearly it's not your mother-in-laws, there's no grooves where the knuckles dragged.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 10:42:19 pm by nightlondon »

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2007, 11:16:32 pm »
You know her then?

John_fraser

« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2007, 09:12:58 am »
It also seems to have six toes. Most cat paw prints have four

Offline francis

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2007, 09:19:22 am »
you would think with all them there vets in the neighbourhood, ONE of 'em should have been able to tell us from the photo what animal it is       Or will they want to send in a bill first ?

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2007, 04:43:07 pm »
The paw print in the mud could have been made by a polydactyl cat. Our normal moggy gave birth to 3 lovely kittens some of which had 6 toes. Apparantly, this phenomenom occurs in cats occasionally. Ernest Hemmingway had several of these 6 toes cats which are sometimes known as Hemmingway cats. It would be interesting to know just how big the footprint was. See http://cats.about.com/od/felinegenetics/a/polydactyl.htm for more info.

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2007, 04:46:43 pm »
Have a look at polydactyl cats under Wikipedia.    Apparently they are most common in the UK in the South West of England, so perhaps the Beast of Bodmin Moor has thumbed a lift up the A30 for a visit. ;)

I think the photo looks like somebody has pressed part of a jelly mould into the mud. :D

Neville, just seen you have been posting while I have been typing.

Offline Largey

« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2007, 02:23:34 am »
I am going to try and get back to the place where I saw this impression over the next day or so. As it was originally seen over 3 months ago I am not too hopeful but you never know.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2007, 12:08:28 pm »
Driving along Swanland Road this morning I saw a brown shape disappear into the bushes at the side of the road.  My guess is that it was a muntjak deer.  I got me wondering if the various sightings of 'the beast' in poor light was really a muntjak and not some wild cat?

Obviously this does not explain the large paw marks but could be the answer to other sightings.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2007, 08:52:07 am »
There does seem to be a lot of muntjac around these days. I was working in someone's garden in Mymms Drive recently and one was in the garden with me! When I first spotted this animal move, it was a surprise, in the dark, it would be easy to jump to conclusions one had seen a 'beast'! I have also noted sadly a lot of road kill, on the A414 & M25 in the past couple of days, they are probably on the increase locally too.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2007, 03:22:50 pm »
I find it rather insulting when people suggest muntjac deer instead of a panther!!!!  ::)  I have perfect 20/20 vision and don't suffer from senile dementia. 

A few years back I saw a large black cat in the area.  Now, I might well conceed from a distance I got my sizes all wrong, but IT WAS A BLACK CAT and it had a tail.  For christ sake...how many little BROWN fanged deer have long tails that curve up at the end, that were black and stalked low to the ground? D'uh?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2007, 04:40:59 pm »
No offence intended.  It was just a thought about sighting of 'something' at night or in the twilight.

Offline Govvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2007, 08:56:31 pm »
I miss the beast, I did see that he has been eating Mr Ramsay's sheep know. I thought it funny, because I only watched the F Word because they phoned me up the other week asking me to recollect the events of my sighting.

Shame they didn't give me a TV interview. heh. :)

John_fraser

« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2009, 12:50:34 pm »
Is it back again: Has big cat been spotted on film?

Looks like a black splodge to me.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2009, 12:56:32 pm »
Strange story. First they call it the 'Beast of Brookmans Park' but whatever it is was filmed in Datchworth. Then they quote the bloke, who they say is 28 saying he was driving to his son's house.  So presuming his son owns or rents a house he must be around 18 years old, so the guy who spotted the cat was a dad at 10? And then they talk of the 'legendary Beast of Brookmans Park'.

John_fraser

« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2009, 12:58:17 pm »
so the guy who spotted the cat was a dad at 10?

Maybe he used to live in Essex :)

Tags: