Author Topic: Will Hay and Mymms Hall  (Read 7438 times)

Offline Robert Rochester

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Will Hay and Mymms Hall
« on: July 05, 2005, 04:12:26 pm »
I found this wonderful site whilst doing some research on one of my favourite comedy characters "Will Hay" who starred in a film made in 1936 called Boys will be Boys.  Part of the film was made along the road outside the Octagon Lodge, North Mymms House and around the war memorial. Having just found this and some other sites today I was extremely pleased to find details of local history and very good photographs of the area and I was wondering if anyone could let me have via email a photograph showing the the war memorial, the cottages that I presume are on the right hand side of the church and which photograph might include the Octagon Lodge and gates. I'd come up to hertfordshire myself to take such a pho but am unable to travel at the moment due to illness.

Whilst at it could someone enlighten me on exactly where the church and house are situate as a friend did tell me once that the house was in South Mimms (Mymms) but from what I have read today on the various sites I believe the church, St. Marys, the Octagon Lodge etc., is betwixt North Mymms, Welham Green and Brookmans Park. Hope this doesn't open any old boundary disputes but I really am a bit confused.

Also has the war memorial ever been moved as from the on-site photos it seems to be in a different position to that shwn in the film and in the film there appears to be a either a small round memorial stone or could this just be a milestone. Sorry you young uns I know the film was made in 1936 but some of your granDparents migt know the answer to this one ;-)

Many thanks

Robert Rochester :)

John_fraser

Re: Will Hay and Mymms Hall
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 04:56:26 pm »
I love Will Hay and it's a great film, just like all of his films, but "The Boy's In Blue" was the dire Cannon & Ball remake. The film was called Ask A Policeman.

The lodge is about here

« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 09:23:50 pm by John Fraser »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 05:35:22 pm »
Hi,

There is more on the lodge in this article in the features section of the site. http://www.brookmans.com/features/2002/hendrien.shtml and two pages of pictures of the war memorial in this area of the site http://www.brookmans.com/galleries/memorial/index.shtml. Here is a picture from that section.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 05:36:31 pm »
Octagon Lodge is at the entrance to North Mymms Park.  It is at the War Memorial on Tollgate Road to the immediate west of where the road goes over a bridge over the A1(M).  Tollgate Road runs between Welham Green and Colney Heath.

there are some photos on the Gallery (see front page heading).  Click on Snow pictures January 2004 and then click on 'snow pictures taken by Bob Horrocks'.  The cottages are to the immediate left of the church as you approach it.  I can print some off and send them if you want.  E-mail me your address.

You can check out a map on www.streetmaps.co.uk (I think) and search for Post Code AL9 7TN, which is for the houses next to the St Mary's church. North Mymms House is 16th century.  Check out the history by searching for that name on the search facility at the foot of the front page.  You might also search for Octagon Lodge since there was something about a lady who used to live there as a child, I think, if memory serves me right.

Offline Robert Rochester

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 06:57:05 pm »

Hello John and many thanks for your very quick reply. I had spent sometime myself pondering over the variopus web maps and books I have here at home trying to find the exact spot and now thanks to you I have been able to find it on my own map.

Pleased to find yet another Will Hay fan. I belong to a group on the Yahoo web site called wheretheresawill in which there are about 200 and I am probably the eldest:-) I have never been a great collector of things as my main hobbies are genealogy and local history but I have always liked Will Hay and I am acquaintance of two of his grandchildren. I have everyone of his films apart from one short film called "know your Apples" whcih disappeared many years ago. As well as a film star Will was of course a very talented man in other areas he was a qualified engineer, pilot and astronomer to name but a few and I am priviledged to own a copy of his book "Through My Telescope" that he wrote circa 1935 and the book has been signed by him. I will stop now just in case I begin boring everyone who may have never heard of Will Hay.

kind regards

Bob

Offline Robert Rochester

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 07:00:08 pm »

Hi David,

Many thanks for your quick reply, yes I have seen some of the photos on the site and  am trying to keep my son off the computer whilst I try and read through all of the very interesting articles bothn in the forum and generally on the web site.

kind regards

Bob Rochester

Offline Robert Rochester

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 07:12:52 am »
Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your message and the details of exactly where Mymms Hall etc., is situate and hopefully in the not too distant future I may be able to get round the M25 to see the House, Lodge and church for myself.  I am able to drive but my wife doesn't and it's difficult to make any definate arrangements as I have multiple myeloma and do not always feel able to travel any great distance. I do however have a sister who lives in Potters Bar near the Leisure Centre there so she's not a million miles away from Mymms Hall however as she works on night duty she has not been able to help in my attempts to find and photograph this particular location.

As you may have seen both John Fraser and the Editor Dsavid have also kindly replied to my message so between you you have given me an awful lot of information about the location that I have forewarded to the Wheretheresawill group and I know it will be much appreciated by the members. the postcode was particularly useful as I have already received a couple of messages from one of my friends, who is actually writing and has almost finished an updated biography of will Hay. As I said in my earlier message my friend had always understood that the house was situate in South Mymms hence the reason for my question as to it;s exact location as my friend obtained his information frtom Gainborough Films who said the house was definately in South Mimms in 1935! and we have never been able to find North Mymms actually mentioned on our maps which kind of threw us until yesterday so if you or anyone else for that matter can give any further information as to whether there have been boundary changes over the years, whch no doubt there were, tat would be a tremendous help.

As to the various items on the site and the photographs i did go through some of them rather hurridly in my excitement in finding the Octagon Lodge and yes I did read the pice written by the dutch lady which of course was most interesting.

As for your kind offer to email me some of your photographs I'd be very much obliged if you could let me have some so that I could put them up on our groups site although of course most of the members wil have seen them by this evening as I have this site's address for for all of those members who would like to read for themselves all of the articles that I have found but in any event I'd very much like to have a decent photopraph that I cane enlarge and put up on my wall here at home;-) I did at one stage think of down loading some of the photographs direct from the web site but thought this was a bit of an impostion, I was sorely tempted but but then I did have copyright in mind and having just finished some 40 odd years in the legal profession I decided against that course and do the honest thing and ask.

Well by now probably you and most of the forum members will have fallen asleep reading all of this so I will cease writing save to say once again many thanks to you and the others for your help with my questions.

very best wishes

Bob

Robert Rochester

As for you kind offer to let me have some photographs

Editor's note: edited only to remove email address in order to prevent spam.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 10:00:21 am by Editor »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 10:03:32 am »
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. Glad it's proving useful. I have removed your email address from your most recent post to try to stop you getting spammed. People can contact you by sending you a message through the forum. When they do, you will be sent an email notifying you that they have been in touch. This way the spammers can't see your address.

Regards

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Robert Rochester

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 12:26:48 pm »

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. Glad it's proving useful. I have removed your email address from your most recent post to try to stop you getting spammed. People can contact you by sending you a message through the forum. When they do, you will be sent an email notifying you that they have been in touch. This way the spammers can't see your address.

Regards

David

Ho David,

Many thanks for that I have been reading the "help file" to see how you generally reply to messages as at the moment I an writing via the "quotes" mode which seems the simplest way for m,e at the moment. I expect I will get the hang of it as I subscribe to two or three different forums, mainly to do with Old British \Comedy films and radio broadcast and well as genealogy forums and each one seems to be set up quite differently and sometime new to me and to think I started messaging in the 80s when Microlink was the only way of communicating:-(

Anyway thanks again for your help

best wishes

Bob

Editor's Note: Edited only to fix the quote box. 

;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 01:52:38 pm by Editor »

Offline Robert Rochester

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 06:20:15 pm »
Many thanks, To The Editor Daviid, John and especially to Mr. Bob Horrocks for their replies and input concerning my quest for information regarding the Octgaon Lodge and Mimms Hall etc., Thankyou again Bob for the photographs, they are very much appreciated and I will be submitting them to the Wheretheresawill group for all the members to see.

Generally I will keep looking in on the site as I have found many interesting articles to read in the features and forums and I especially like all the old photogrpahs, particualarly those showing some of the people of yesteryear. The Parish Magazine was also well worth reading with the article by Jean Hoskings about the churches in Cornwall being right up my street so to speak as both my wife and I like "church crawling" and we were in Cornwall probably at the same time as Jean only only a few weeks although we were on the North coast, Padstow etc.,

very best wishes

Bob

Offline violet

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 06:37:44 pm »
Hello Robert,
My husband lived in Brookmans Park during the war and left in 1960 to come to the USA.  This is my first time on the Brookmans Park boards and although your post is last July it caught my eye, and felt I had to tell you a couple of things my husband had told to me about Will Hay.
Dalziel, my husband used to ride with the Enfield Chase, and he also would ride with a small riding stable on Dove Lane near B.P., owned by a Mrs Harris,  the name of the town slips my memory but I know a famous battle was fought there and there was a 'sharpening stone' (for the knights of old, in the middle of the town) there was also a pub there called  The Duke of York supposedly haunted years back, maybe it will come to me before I finish this.
To get to the subject Dal told me that Will Hay often accompanied them on their rides and was evidently a very interesting person, as you mentioned before,  with all his many interests.  Dal also told me that it was Will Hay that discovered Halleys (or Hayleys not sure of the spelling) comet.  Do you know anything about this?  Since you mentioned in your post that Will Hay was an astonomer I thought this was maybe a true story.
I am familiar with the area you were writing about and I believe the motorway was built through some of that area which probably made it more difficult for you to find what you are looking for. I also know the riding stable that I spoke of previously on Dove lane had to be taken down because of the motorway which was devastating to all concerned.
All the best on your 'quest'.       ;o)

Offline PB History

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 11:38:16 pm »
With regards to the above:

Dove Lane is in Potters Bar just off of Barnet Road.  The town you are thinking of I guess would be Barnet (Battle of Barnet) which is the next town along.  Interested about the Sharpening Stone though, was this In Barnet or Potters Bar?  Never heard of it in Potters Bar so guessing it is in Barnet somewhere.

The Duke Of York is at Ganwick Corner between Potters Bar and Barnet.

Dove Lane is a small cul-de-sac, cut off by the M25, gues the stable was towards the end of Dove Lane where the M25 now sits.

If you are interested in Potters Bar take a look at my site at http://www.pbhistory.co.uk

rognjac

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 10:37:09 pm »
The only "sharpening stone" that I am aware of is at Whetstone, (hence the name), which is about 8 miles or so south of BP. Alledgedly, the whetstone, which still exists on the High Road N20, opposite Totteridge lane, was used by one of the opposing sides, prior to the Battle of Barnet in 1471, to sharpen their swords.

A few years ago, when I worked for the Borough of Barnet, I had a complaint from a lady who alledgedly tripped over the whetstone. I had to gently point out to her that it had been there in excess of 500 years, and the local authority would not be removing it!

Offline violet

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 06:21:55 pm »
Yes to all of the above.  You have brought back a flood of memories.  Barnet is the word I was having difficulty with and 'whetstone'.  I remember touching it and wondering how many 'stories' it could tell.  500 years?  I enjoyed your reply to the lady that tripped over it.   It was almost out of sight on the left hand side of the street going towards London by a bus stop.  I would have thought there would have been a special sign on it,  and protection from vandels.  Although I suppose if it has been there that long?? 
Thank you.  I have so many memories from the five years we returned to Brookmans Park.  I will have to 'dig' up some more from my fading brain, before the dreaded senility takes over.  I like to pass these things on to my two daughters who did spend a short time in Brookmans Park school and although very young still remember some things with pleasure.

John_fraser

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 06:37:58 pm »
Halley’s comet has been known about for centuries. It was named after Edmond Halley, who identified that several comets seen between 1400 and 1700 were in fact the same and that it would next return in 1758 – which it did.

Will Hay was a keen astronomer. His astronomical obituary can be found here
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 06:50:56 pm by John Fraser »

Tags: