Author Topic: Church in salisbury close  (Read 5270 times)

inda_loft

Church in salisbury close
« on: June 21, 2005, 09:37:31 am »
Hi this is more of a PB history question but the PB websites are pretty poor at the mo. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the church that stood where the memorial is now. I live in Salisbury Close and would love a picture of the church before it was knocked/fell down
many thanks
matt

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Church in salisbury close
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 09:50:23 am »
Hi inda_loft,

Welcome to the forum.  The Potters Bar History site is growing and it looks like a lot of effort is being put into creating a valuable archive. It might be worth emailing the site. The address is on this page http://www.pbhistory.co.uk/.

They have a photo gallery on this page http://www.pbhistory.co.uk/images.html.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

inda_loft

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 06:53:24 pm »
Funny you say that because i acually went to school with the guy who created the site and i know that progress has been slow so i have asked if i could take over the site because i have so much to add but also there is so much missing. I have been looking for a picture or even a drawing of the church and also am having problems finding any info like even its name!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 07:05:49 pm »
Why not post a message on that site too, just in case it jogs memories. I have started a thread on the Potters Bar Community Forum.
Click here to go to the thread.  

I know it takes a fair amount of work to build a new site and raise interest in it. I also know the webmaster has been searching for material because we've given permissioon for a number of articles from this site to be reproduced including the history of Coal Posts (click here to read) and the story of the Zeppelin that crashed near Potters Bar (Click here to read that story).

Here are those same stories on this site.

Hertfordshire's coal posts - click here to read
Zeppelin brought down over Potters Bar - click here to read
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 07:15:15 pm by Editor »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

PBCF.Zero

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 11:19:27 pm »
Hi this is more of a PB history question but the PB websites are pretty poor at the mo. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the church that stood where the memorial is now. I live in Salisbury Close and would love a picture of the church before it was knocked/fell down
many thanks
matt

There are 3 different Potters Bar websites, the history, forum and main site. The forum and history site were only created this year, whereas the Brookmans Park Newsletter has been going since 1998. As one of the people who had put alot of time, effort and some of my own money into this project, I am quite offended that you decide to dismiss these websites as "poor".

As the editor at Brookmans Park Newsletter quite rightly stated, these community ventures take time to build and get the interest of the rest of the residents. Im sure you can appreciate the time its taken for you just to research just this church, and the webmaster at the PBHistory site has huge amounts of data to research and publish, not to mention their own activities.

You could help support the sites, especially the forum where the content is basically the opinions of everyone, by registering and contributing to the discussions  :D. If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear from you.

(Sorry for "hi-jacking" the Brookmans Park Website :-\!)

inda_loft

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 12:04:10 am »
Maybe poor was the wrong word to use no offence meant!!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 06:26:32 am »

(Sorry for "hi-jacking" the Brookmans Park Website :-\!)

Not at all, that is what the forum is for. By the way, I remember the hours I spent scanning page after page of history books back in 1997-1998. I had an old scanner that took two mins per page. Then there was the spell checking (pleased don't look at some of the earlier stuff because I am still finding typos)

:-\

If you have a backlog, it might be worth appealing for volunteers on your site. Perhaps you could post a message on your forum. Many people have fast scanners these days. I am sure some forum members would be willing to help out on such a worthwhile community project.

Also, the other two Potters Bar sites need more links to your history site. I have put a link to it on this site's front page (bottom right under 'Local Communities') so that people can go straight to your site.

David

Offline Mallow

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 01:35:01 pm »
I remember the church was called St. John's

Regards.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

inda_loft

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 09:23:44 am »
Mallow if you have any more information like when it was knocked down why is was and if you have a pic i would be eternally greatful

Offline Mallow

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 05:42:50 pm »
Ok this information is courtesy of my 85 year old mother.

Apparently St. Johns Church had become unsafe.  Something to do with the pre-cast concrete they had used to build it.  The replacement for St. John's is St Mary's at the top of The Walk.  After St. Mary's was built, although not completed because they ran out of funds, St. John's stood unused for many years until it was finally demolished. 

Neither of us can remember about when it was demolished however it must be  over 20 years ago.

Regards.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

inda_loft

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 09:07:58 am »
Thanks mallow..... still looking for that elusive picture tho!!!

Offline PB History

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 04:04:40 pm »
Hello,

Apologies for the slow progress on PB History.co.uk at the moment.  This is due to work commitments which have taken over all else.

I have managed to get a picture of St Johns Church!  It can be seen at http://www.pbhistory.co.uk/images.html (bottom left)  Click on the thumbnail for a larger image. 

The church became derelict after the opening of St Marys at the top of the Walk in June 1915.  The last vicar at St Johns was Father Preston, he was moved to Potters Bar from the slums of Poplar in 1913 by the Bishop of London in order to oversee the building of a new church (St Marys).

I do have more information but Haven't enough time to publish it at the moment.  If you would like I can prepare a piece and publish it on PBHistory.co.uk.  Let me know.

India_loft - You say you went to school with me?  You've offered to take over the site?  I've never received any contact from you? 

Cheers,

Chris

P.s if anyone has any history information to offer me to add to PBHistory please contact me at info@pbhistory.co.uk  Any information will be greatfully received.  I am currently looking into the schooling of Potters Bar.  I hope to have this finished soon and will publish a piece online when its done.

Tags: