Author Topic: Grant Shapps MP  (Read 46463 times)

John_fraser

Re: Grant Shapps MP
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2012, 01:24:11 pm »
I think a sense of perspective is required here:

• This software is not illegal to use or sell and no-one is suggesting otherwise. You could use it to breach copyright, which may be illegal, but there are many things you can buy legally which can be used to break the law. Google doesn't like it, but they don't yet get to set the law. They made a statements about the importance of copyright, but they have their own critics on this issue
  • The moral aspect is grey. There are some valid uses for this software, although I doubt most of it users use it in a way I would agree with. In the worst case people can create a site full of copied articles as suggested by the articles. I don't like that, but there are much bigger "crimes" on the internet. If selling TrafficMaster is HowToCorps biggest sin it's significantly more ethical than most companies (including newspapers - The Leverson Enquiry anyone?).
  • Like all ministers, Grant Shapps gave up his business interests when he became a minister. Which is why he no longer reports an interest in the register. HowToCorp current activities have nothing to do with him. His wife, sister and mother now run/control/own these sites and these ladies were not elected by us and do not represent us. They are private individuals and what they do should be regarded in the same light as any other private individual. TrafficMaster is sold by a number of other sites, but none of the articles see fit to mention that or name the people who own them.

IMHO some journalist started digging round to find some dirt on politicians who came out of the expenses scandal looking clean. This was the worst they could find. It's minor and not directly connected. Of course the journalist can't write the headline "We can't find anything wrong doing by Grant Shapps", so they wrote this article instead and tried to made it look like a big deal. Most people can see this story doesn't have legs and will die soon.

Offline Therock

• Opinions on many things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2012, 07:44:41 pm »
As I said in my post Nothing will happen to Grant,its all Pathetic scaremongering by the Crappy press.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2012, 07:56:16 pm »
As I said in my post Nothing will happen to Grant,its all Pathetic scaremongering by the Crappy press.
you wordsmith.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2012, 09:04:33 am »
I think a sense of perspective is required here:

Perspectives are good, but they are subjective. Perfectly okay for forums like this where the general public discuss issues.

However, regarding news coverage (as opposed to opinion pieces), journalists should ensure that what they investigate is in the public interest, is objective, impartial and fair, and that all facts have been checked thoroughly. Not all succeed, some don't even try.

Today's story in The Observer claiming that changes were made to the Grant Shapps Wikipedia entry, if true, would be in the public interest.

Friday's piece in The Guardian about his Twitter habits is, if true, more amusing than anything. Probably not worth running as a separate piece.

But the latest Daily Mail story just seems to be a mean-spirited rehash of old material and is, in my opinion, of dubious value. I would not have run the piece if it had been up to me.

Applying the public interest test should be at the heart of all robust journalism.  Sadly it's not.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2012, 12:08:11 pm »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2012, 12:13:21 pm »
So it appears one 'blogger' who clearly isn't using his real name has made a complaint.

Which hasn't been investigated yet.

So it appears that this is just a desperate exercise to try and drag up some dirt on a government minister.

I can't help feeling there are far more worthy targets in the government and elsewhere

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2012, 04:20:52 pm »
.. there are far more worthy targets in the government ...

So you agree, he is a worthy target then.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2012, 04:34:48 pm »
So it appears one 'blogger' who clearly isn't using his real name has made a complaint.

Shocking, posting under a false name? Clearly, we can't trust a word that blogger writes/says.  But don't worry Sasquartch, I am sure the Advertising Standards Agency will be thorough, fair and will use totally transparent and fully accountable procedures.

:)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2012, 04:39:47 pm »
The only point I am trying to make is that a complaint has been made.

That's all, until such point that it is upheld I don't think he should be prejudged as guilty, that's all.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2012, 04:46:22 pm »
That's all, until such point that it is upheld I don't think he should be prejudged as guilty, that's all.

Who on this forum is saying he is guilty of anything?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2012, 04:53:15 pm »
Oh no, it seems Nightlondon has changed his identity to Mr Green, and the avatar of his name badge saying Michael Green must prove it is him, or does it? Hard to know who to believe anymore.

:icon_jokercolor:

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
Hard to know who to believe anymore.
 :icon_jokercolor:

Working out who to believe is a process of elimination. Start with politicians and salesmen (they're really just the same anyway) - add in anyone claiming to represent god and hopefully you'll be left with a manageable number.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2012, 09:00:35 pm »

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2012, 07:49:40 am »
Front page of The Independent this morning:

"The company founded by the Conservative Party chairman Grant Shapps is to be investigated by the advertising watchdog after he was found to have been posing as a web guru named Michael Green to sell get-rich-quick advice over the internet.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has begun an investigation into an allegation that the business has misled the public by presenting "Michael Green" as a genuine businessman with a personal fortune of $28m (£17m)"

"A key focus of the ASA investigation will be whether the claims made by HowToCorp's Green, who has told potential customers of his $28m fortune and ownership of two high-end luxury aircraft and offered to disclose his business tips in the advice manuals advertised by the firm, are misleading."

Full story at http://www.independent.co.uk/

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2012, 09:02:19 am »
WHT identifies the complainant:

"AN investigation into MP Grant Shapps’ former internet business could be over before it has begun – after the complainant published a private letter from the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA)...The complaint, by university lecturer Aiden Byrne, argued that the website painted Mr Shapps’ pen names of Michael Green and Sebastian Fox as real businessmen, and asked the authority to examine whether online testimonials praising HowToCorps’ products were genuine."

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/grant_shapps_web_business_investigation_could_close_1_1572135

"Aidan Byrne is a Senior Lecturer in English and Media and Cultural Studies based at Wolverhampton City Campus. His research covers Welsh literature, working-class writing, the literatures of 1939-45, children’s literature and new media. He is also interested in political discourse and theories of reading. He is a member of the English Society, the Association of Welsh Writing in English, a peer-reviewer for its journal, Almanac, and an Editorial Board member of Australasian Canadian Studies."

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=23613

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2012, 02:50:11 pm »
Seems an odd for him to use aliases like Michael Green and Sebastian Fox. Surely he must have known that this would come out - particularly as he was rising in the ranks and was bound to have his life gone over with a fine-toothed comb. And if he didn't then that's a bad judgement call.

Interesting also that although this story has been boiling away for some time the WHT have only really decided to cover it in this week's issue - and even that is largely to rubbish it. No one else seems to be saying that the ASA is not going to investigate the complaint.

Last time I checked he hadn't issued any statement on his forum - at least not in his own name.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2012, 09:30:20 pm »
I'm having trouble understanding what's wrong with this.

Grant isn't - the software has been taken off sale.

Why would you do that?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2012, 07:32:53 am »
You can switch the advert off after five seconds.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2012, 09:18:40 am »
Love the news clip above, I watched it on 4News last night and enjoyed it so much I watched it again and 4News+1.
I seem to remember another bit on a book he had released which was a copy of an old - out of copyright - text.
Shapps Green  was claiming it was a valuable hard to find book -  but Michael Crick had bought a copy on-line for £7.42 and there are electronic versions available for FREE. LOL.
This is turning into our own local soap opera.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:40:03 am by Mr Green »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2012, 09:26:31 pm »
The Guardian is leading tonight with an update on the How To Corp websites.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/oct/08/grant-shapps-how-to-corp-michael-green

And Michael Crick is not giving up on his search for answers.

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/grant-shapps-and-the-mysterious-testimonials/1765

And there are claims the ASA has decided not to investigate.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 09:51:08 pm »
And there are claims the ASA has decided not to investigate.

If this is true, many across our land may cry cover up and scorn their inability to right this wrong.
Us WelHat folk however have a privileged opportunity to demonstrate our displeasure at the polls.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2012, 09:55:34 pm »
Most people can see this story doesn't have legs and will die soon.

If a day is a long time in politics how long is a month?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2012, 07:55:40 am »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2012, 01:29:01 pm »
Political commentator and author Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick in Tory conference pass mystery, but still seems to be chasing the ASA story.  Busy on Twitter this morning.

And he is not the type to give up easily.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2012, 08:12:25 pm »
Totally agree our local MP and Co Chairman of the Tory Party should be challenged and held to account, but concerned this forum should be non political. Including 6 posts from Twitter in this forum which are from a former election agent for the Labour Party and a number of books published with a left wing perspective, is unlikely to have an unbiased view on a Conservative MP. Just a thought...  ;)

This weeks Welwyn Hatfield Times has a 2 page spread "After weeks of allegations, Grant Shapps MP talks exclusively to the WHT" He claims that he has been "Open about (his) pen name" and "People will have to come to their own conclusions whether they think this is an effective smear campaign"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2012, 09:11:23 pm »
Totally agree our local MP and Co Chairman of the Tory Party should be challenged and held to account, but concerned this forum should be non political. Including 6 posts from Twitter in this forum which are from a former election agent for the Labour Party and a number of books published with a left wing perspective, is unlikely to have an unbiased view on a Conservative MP. Just a thought...  ;)

Hi Ferdie, don't worry, this site is non-political and will remain so. In regards to Michael Crick's tweets, he has been investigating this story trying to find answers and the tweets (only a few of many) touch on some of yesterday's developments.  Today he has blogged "Testimonials story a ‘political smear’ says Shapps", quoting our MP's rebuttals.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:49 pm »
Michael Grant on Question Time tonight, should be good. I wonder if Corinne Stockheath will ask a question.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2012, 11:07:41 pm »
Unlikely I feel. Along with some of the other real reviewers Grant had, they seem to have moved on to running a debt counselling business

http://creditcardsandhelp.com/testimonial.php

Or was it that they were busy bringing up a family?

http://iamparent.info/testimonials.php

James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2012, 08:06:43 am »
Quote from last night's Q-Time

David Dimbleby "If we had Michael Green, Alias Grant Shapps as prime minister, I'm told we could give him $200 to buy some software and we would make $20,000 in 20 days or get our money back."
Shapps "You shouldn't believe everything you read"

You got that right Grant, we can't even be sure some people exist, let alone what they say. :icon_scratch:

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2012, 08:19:59 am »
A blogger has published what he claims is the text to which Dimbleby may have been referring.  The blogger claims to have saved an archived copy before the site became unavailable.

Here is the link to the piece referred to in the tweet above which was sent out this morning.

http://www.bloggerheads.com/archives/2012/10/howtocorp-2020-challenge/

Tags: