Author Topic: Grant Shapps MP  (Read 46517 times)

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
Re: Grant Shapps MP
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 11:26:02 pm »
Hi Nemesis, I came on line this evening to say pretty much exactly what you have so eloquently written! Thank you.

Grant, you put yourself up as a representative of us, the people, and as far as I can tell you have been involved with/campaigning for public office for some considerable time. Given this I dont understand why a) you chose to try and disguise your ownership of HowToCorp and b) why having been 'found out' you are continuing to dodge the question and evade giving an answer.

As I say, you chose to put yourself up as a public servant, and having done so I do not think it an unfair request that you be asked to give a clear explanation of what seems to have been a less than transparent action by you.

supersonic

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 11:33:14 am »
Given the choice between Grant Shapps and Melanie Johnson, people preferred Grant as their MP.  Would it have made any difference if you had known how many businesses he has?  No.

All this attempt at muck raking is just sour grapes, as witnessed in the letters page of the Welwyn Hatfield Times.

Just read that paper any week and see how often Grant and his wife Belinda get mentioned for positive reasons i.e. they have done something for Welwyn hatfield.  Compare this with our previous MP and be glad that we have now got an MP who is interested in his constituency. 

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2006, 12:25:06 pm »
Supersonic you seem to be saying that the fact that Grant has a business he didn't publicise makes him dodgy or unfit to be an MP in some way.

It wouldn't have affected my decision to vote for him in any way.

His main business is PrintHouse which he has always made clear, the business to which you refer is US based and probably has little relevance to his constituents.

So what if he uses a different name ?? He has explained the reason. You might not agree with him but I think his reason is perfectly acceptable to me.

Grant has done everything properly and so far has been an excellent MP. He is a sucessful businessman and hs exactly the  right sort of experience to make a difference and get things done.

Why are people so hell-bent on portraying every little thing into some sort of negative context ? If there really was something dodgy about him I'd want to know but there simply isn't anything in this.

Let's be grateful we don't have an MP like George Galloway !

John_fraser

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2006, 12:31:20 pm »
I agree that he should have made all of his business dealings clear, as (I hope) he has done now. In public life transparency should always be the default. That said, however, as far as I can tell HowToCorp is not a dishonest or disreputable company nor do there appear to be hordes of disgruntled customers lining up to list grievances. It is not Enron and if Grant had declared his interest prior to the election I very much doubt that it would have changed the minds of a significant number of voters Ė if any. My own personal opinion is that his election was mostly to do with the very real failing or our last MP as well as the real and perceived failings of the government.

Grant does not appear to have broken any laws or rules and Nemesis does not appear to be accusing him of having done so. While I agree he wasnít 100% transparent, I donít feel that he was being dishonest or particularly disingenuous, although a few may disagree. It appears to me that this thread was started to cast doubt upon his integrity, but it lacks any substance.

P.S.
(Prior to his appearance on Celebrity Big Brother) I would have happily voted for George Galloway.

Offline southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2006, 12:36:35 pm »
I agree totally with the 2 posts above. I did not vote for Grant for 'political' reasons. However, ironically I was delighted when he was returned as our MP.
Whatever their political persuasion I want an MP who is passionate about local issues and about representing the needs and views of their constituents.
I e-mailed Grant to see if there was anything to do to get the police to take the break-ins seriously and to take some measures to improve security in BP in general. He acted immediately . What more can we ask for ?

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 05:03:55 pm »
Good luck to Grant who is sleeping on the streets tonight to get an insight into how it feels to be homeless.

I think it would be a good idea if other MPs did this sort of thing to know how life is for other people

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 06:59:59 pm by Cassie »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2007, 09:50:57 pm »
Perhaps it would be more usefull if he did the job he was elected for and concentrated on removing the opposition from power, thus preventing poverty at source rather than performing a cheap gesture that acieves nothing but self publicity?

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2007, 10:27:21 pm »
Welcome back Jet
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2007, 11:34:00 am »
Did JET comment on another 'cheap stunt' when a certain 'GB' went to Iraq during the Conservative conference to (re) announce troop withdrawals? 

The only way the Opposition can force an election is by winning a vote of no confidence in the Government.

As someone who now lives in Eire, could JET tell us whether or not Eire is going to hold a referendum on the EU Treaty, or whatever name the Constitution hides under nowadays?  Another 'cheap stunt' pledge that disappeared mighty quickly once you know who got elected.

What will 2008 bring us, I wonder?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2007, 06:24:01 pm »
There will be a referendum in the Republic this year.
It is part of the Republic written constitution ( something that divided Britain has never had) that anything that affects the country as a whole must go to a vote.
Eire is the only country not to sign up without referendum and guess what if we reject it? All the other countries signitures count for nowt.
This may happen purely because Eire has been the recipient of some of the worse individuals from Eastern Europe this last two years and the indiginous population has had enough.
As for Grant, his words were "publicity stunt"  not mine. I added my own word as I saw fit.
His "stunt" made the media ( BBC) and teletext/cefax letter pages ( read by millions)
The Labour party soon jumped on Grants "stunt" by calling him to task over the lack of housing caused by the Conservative parties policies 11 years ago.
Now if we ( I am a British citizen with an English abode ) ever want to kick this lot out and get people like myself ( and many others from BP who have left ) to return we need better attempts than the Tory's have managed this last few years.
I did not coment on "GB" because it was something particular to Britain rather than BP and therefore not a local issue. Grants performance is a local issue.
Slan Abhaille you all

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2007, 11:46:00 am »
Thanks JET for letting us know about the Irish referendum.  Something juicy to look forward to in 2008!

I am not sure which is harder - being the ruling party or being the opposition.  When you think about it, both have been doing publicity stunts for centuries e.g. King Canute failing to stop the tide coming in.  Cromwell and his Roundheads opposed the Crown and finally became the rulers.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2008, 04:56:03 pm »
Just think Bob 1 million Irish votors could save 200 million people from the reality of being ocupied by an EU police force or EU army!
Those who use publicity stunts get remembered for all the wrong reasons :o
What oposition party are you refering too, I was not aware of any opposition to new labour ???

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2008, 12:34:32 am »
My frustration about homelessness is that the media aren't particularly interested in covering this subject. I'd published a couple of carefully researched, well-meaning, reports during the past year, but the pick up was minimal, despite the really startling facts contained within them.

But when I slept rough, that brought the media out to cover the issue and if that meant that people were talking about homelessness over Christmas, then that's a good thing. The only thing is that homelessness is a problem 365 days a year, so we shouldn't forget about it now.

There's BBC coverage here and an article where I explain why I did it and what I found here:
http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php?topic=2525.msg22887#msg22887

Happy New Year,
Grant.

John_fraser

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 06:13:13 pm »
I see Grant is now Minister of State for Housing and Planning: "Grant Shapps appointed as housing minister"

Congratulations to him.

LongTallSally

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010, 08:40:21 am »
Well done Grant and good luck.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2010, 09:17:52 am »
Grant

Let's hope you are able to address the concerns of many of your constituents regarding recent developments in Welham Green.

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 04:16:47 pm »
Seems The Guardian had the story first, but this is from The Telegraph. More at the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/digital-media/9517370/Grant-Shapps-business-plagiarising-software-and-breaching-Googles-rules.html

And just as there's a reshuffle looming. Some of his quoted comments seem ... well, form your own conclusions.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:32:52 am by David Brewer »

Offline Therock

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 06:52:48 pm »
A excellent MP for us, and Lovely wife and Family.  Dont worry about petty things go after the BIG BIG Fish who are robbing millions of us.  He is doing a Great Job and is Not Going anywhere Mark my Words. Keep it up Granto.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 11:05:29 pm »
He has done good things as an MP and he puts the effort in. As a constituent I have taken pride in being able to say ďMy MP came out OK in the MPís expenses fraud scandalĒ. Grant deserves credit for his record.

However, this is an own goal. It appears seedy and opportunist. One bad mark does not erase a job well done, however I hope this is not a taste of things to come. Politically, Grant may be destined for greater things, but with that comes greater scrutiny. Grant, are there more skeletons waiting to be exposed? Weíve given you our vote and trust, donít embarrass us!

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2012, 08:54:11 am »
I think this is the website

http://trafficpaymaster.com/

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2012, 10:10:38 am »
I'm having trouble understanding what's wrong with this.

It's a software product for SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) - one of lots of solutions around. Are people saying it's illegal, or immoral, or what ?

What exactly is the issue with Grant having business interests, he is a successful businessman (which he makes no secret of) and as long as other people are running the business on his behalf and he is putting all his engergies into being a government minister and our local MP that's fine by me.

Compared to our last MP Grant has done an excellent job.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2012, 10:36:41 am »
I agree that Grant has been a very good MP and I donít object to him having a business interest, I object to software which auto generates pages and pages of recycled content on the net. Pages the creators themselves donít read or have any human editorial input in.

Such software may be a cash generator for the person who uses it to recycle other peopleís material but what benefit does it bring to general web user. None. It bloats out the web with content already available. To me it should be bracketed with junk mail through the letter box and annoying cold callers at your door or phone. Why not do something unique, something that benefits others. This software has no merit and the web would be a better place without it.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 10:46:43 am »
But does this have any bearing on his abilities as an MP ?

Completely irrelevant to Grant's political activities and nothing to do with the government reshuffle which the OP seems to allude to.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2012, 02:31:38 pm »
Just heard on the radio that Grant is now Conservative Party Chairman.

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2012, 02:40:25 pm »
Yes it didn't do him any harm :)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2012, 02:49:08 pm »
Is Party Chairman considered a promotion from Housing Minister ?

(Genuine question :-) )

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2012, 03:16:08 pm »
Traditionally, the most important posts have been PM; Chancellor; Foreign Secretary. But in answer to the question, I'd say party chairman was more important than a housing minister.

--------------

Congratulations to Grant on his new role as Conservative Party chairman.

Now he'll no longer be able to say that he is just an MP, and get Conservative-controlled HCC to change its plans to build an incinerator in Hatfield.

Of course, he could maintain that it would be improper for him to intervene but that would only fuel suspicions that he has just been saying he is against it to appease the voters (hence the self-sabotaged petition and the sale of glorified anti-incinerator rubber bands).

Question for voters is: do you want a powerful MP who is not prepared to use his influence for the benefit of the people who voted him into power?

Of course, if he is not capable of getting members of his own party - on a single county council - to change their minds it rather raises a question about his suitability for his new, enhanced role.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2012, 02:20:37 pm »
Some interesting (to me anyway) comments in the Daily Telegraph recently including a comparison of our MP to 'Marmite' - you either love him or hate him.  This is evident in the letters in the WH Times.
One advantage of being so close to London is that Grant does live in his constituency and is out and about in the area most Fridays at least.

It seems that he has a major task of increasing Tory Party membership which has lost about 81,000 members (258,000 in 2005 to 177,000 now) during Mr Cameron's period as leader.  Grant is a great salesman but he has to have a good product to sell.  We shall see.  Having been secretary of our local Green Belt Society for 17 years until I stood down this year, they would be losing my vote if they relax the protection of the Green Belt.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2012, 08:48:49 pm »
But does this have any bearing on his abilities as an MP ?

As with all public servants it comes down to integrity. A free press is there to ask questions on behalf of the electorate and then scrutinise the answers. All healthy stuff.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2012, 09:08:22 pm »
More developments on this story published on The Guardian website this evening.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/sep/07/google-blacklists-websites-grant-shapps-family
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: