Author Topic: Has anyone lost a skinny white cat?  (Read 11629 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Has anyone lost a skinny white cat?
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:28 am »
A bedraggled and sick looking white cat has been stalking the birds in our garden. I regularly chase it away and it runs down towards Bluebridge Avenue and over the fence. It runs the same way every time.

The poor thing looks like it could do with a few robins and sparrows - it's all skin and bones. (And yes, for the benefit of all the cat lovers on the forum, I do feel guilty chasing it, but I don't like treading in and then clearing up cat mess in the garden).

The cat is snowy white, not a speck of colour on it. But it looks like a stray or as if it is badly neglected. I will try to take a picture next time I see it, but if anyone has lost a white cat please send me a private message via the forum and perhaps we can catch it and reunite it with its owner.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Re: Has anyone lost a skinny white cat?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:10:20 am »
It could be deaf as that's something about white cats that is quite common.

Not robins or sparrows please but maybe the odd pigeon is ok!
 :)

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:15:02 am »
It could be deaf as that's something about white cats that is quite common.

Apparently something to do with them having blue eyes
Deaf White Cats

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:31:41 am »
It sounds as if the cat may need help. I've just spoken to the Cat Protection lady in our local branch 0845 371 1855. If you ring her, she can set up one of their volunteers to come and catch the cat. They have an arrangement with a local vet to scan for a chip, give a health check, de-worm and de-flea and then, if it's determined that it's a stray, they will neuter it. The only downside is that someone will need to volunteer to keep the cat in an outhouse, shed or garage whilst it recuperates from the op as the Cat Protection cannot take any more cats into accommodation.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:54:26 pm »
It sounds as if the cat may need help. I've just spoken to the Cat Protection lady in our local branch 0845 371 1855. If you ring her, she can set up one of their volunteers to come and catch the cat.

Thanks will call her tomorrow.  David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:54:52 am »
Here are some pictures of the cat taken just now from a long distance. Sorry they are blurred but branches got in the way.  The first shows it isn't wearing a collar, the others show how thin it is.  Does anyone recognise it? 

We have been in contact with the cat protection people and are trying to capture the animal.

Offline Aqila

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:18:01 pm »
Hi David

There is a white cat registered on a missing cat list that looks very similar. 

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/7/683752.html?1330597019

I don't know what area she has gone missing from.  I'll register this evening so I can contact the owner.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:30:43 pm by Aqila »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 12:57:03 pm »
Hi David

There is a white cat registered on a missing cat list that looks very similar. 

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/7/683752.html?1330597019

I don't know what area she has gone missing from.  I'll register this evening so I can contact the owner.

Jacqui

Thanks Jacqui, It might be that the cat is local and is fine. It's going to be hard to catch I think.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:08:15 pm »
It's a beautiful cat, but very nervous - just seen it 2 doors up the hill from you Dave.

I would gladly give it a home if it's not already owned   :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:52:28 pm »
It's a beautiful cat, but very nervous - just seen it 2 doors up the hill from you Dave.

I would gladly give it a home if it's not already owned   :)

Glad you saw it too.  I just have a hunch it's not being cared for. The trouble will be catching it.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 01:23:10 am »
Oh for gods sake, offer it a bit of ham ( a vets trick) and it will bite your hand off!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 06:57:48 am »
Oh for gods sake, offer it a bit of ham ( a vets trick) and it will bite your hand off!

I wish it were that easy, Jet. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a pattern to its visits and  it has so far ignored all food put out for it.

Offline Shirley

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 12:24:08 pm »
Have CP brought a trap? My friend who's an expert trapper has success  using Felix Oh So Fishy as the bait at the back of the trap!

Good luck!

ps where's Brookmans Park anyway?? (Have seen the Cat Chat thread re the missing white cat)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 12:37:07 pm »
Have CP brought a trap? My friend who's an expert trapper has success  using Felix Oh So Fishy as the bait at the back of the trap!

Good luck!

ps where's Brookmans Park anyway?? (Have seen the Cat Chat thread re the missing white cat)

Hi Shirley,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, we have a trap and I have been replacing the food each day with the recommended nibbles.

Brookmans Park is in south Hertfordshire just north of the M25 at Potters Bar (imaging the M25 being a clock, well we are at the top of the hour).

David

Offline Shirley

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 01:26:00 pm »
Thanks!  :)  Looking forward to hearing the cat's been caught! I volunteer for CP Wolverhampton as the Lost and Found person, but go trapping with my friend sometimes! It's a wonderful feeling when they're caught and you know that's the start of a better life for them!  :)

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 05:55:08 pm »
Any update on this, David?  And is it the one which was mentioned by JacquiW?

Offline Shirley

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 06:12:29 pm »
 :-[ :-[   It's Whiskers Oh So Fishy, not Felix! Duh!!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 07:51:11 pm »
We have left the cage open with food in for a week. Something has been eating it. Now we will set the catch to spring shut when visited. Watch this space.  David

Offline Shirley

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 09:22:39 pm »
Fingers crossed!

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 01:30:49 pm »
I hope it's the Beast of Brookmans Park!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 08:04:10 pm »
Given up on the skinny white cat. Not seen it around for ages. And I don't like idea of using a cage to trap it. A different cat got into the cage tonight and was clearly extremely upset. I let it out and cleared up the cat food. The cage and a box of cat food will be going back to the nice cat protection guy in the morning.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 09:54:28 am »
A word of warning for those encouraged to use cages to try to catch sick cats. I have just been cleaning the one we were loaned before I hand it back and found blood inside.

A different cat got into the cage tonight and was clearly extremely upset.

I didn't see the blood last night when I released the trapped animal in the dark. I guess it must have damaged its paw trying to get out. Perhaps the cage traps are useful in extreme cases, but this one injured the animal and clearly traumatised it. I should have left nature to take its course. Apologies if it was your cat.

David

Offline Jay

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 04:20:41 pm »
I've just seen this post and am writing to tell you that this is our white cat and we live in Moffats Lane, behind Bluebridge Avenue. She is very well fed, well looked after and very fussy, which is why she refuses all the food you offer to her.
She was part of a litter of six cats born to a stray cat who took up residence and gave birth in our friends garden. We were fortunate to have found hones for all of the kittens and the mother and I did in fact advertise my white cat and her brother on this very forum but as every home arranged for her fell through we kept her and love her dearly.
She is naturally slim and healthy and does not put on weight no matter how much she eats.
Our Pharoah Hound dog and 'Pinksy' our little white cat are regularly seen by our vet in Brookmans Park. 'Pinsky' is nervous of other people because by the time we managed to catch the kittens they were partly wild. However she is now very tame and affectionate with us but is wary of people outside of the family.
No matter how many collars we have bought her she manages to lose them, however she is microchipped. I'm very glad you did not catch her as she would have been traumatised.
 She can run to the top of the trees and back down to the ground again with ease. Although she stalks birds, fortunately  she tends not to be interested in actually catching them and only seems to catch mice, which she lets go after she is bored.
Thank heavens I saw this post, albeit rather late in the day.
I'm thinking of buying her a kitten/companion and hopefully it will keep its collar on.
Thank you for caring.

Tags: