Author Topic: Does BP need a tea room?  (Read 13567 times)

Betty

Re: Does BP need a tea room?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2002, 03:08:13 pm »
How about half book shop, half cafe? Has there been a book shop before?  ???

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2002, 06:06:05 pm »
 How about the library being moved to the site of the old furnisher shop. Then half the site can be a cafe and the other could be the library with a few computers with internet access. The cafe could be open the same time as the library is and you can be allowed to take books out to read in the cafe. Extra money will then be brung in from the cafe side. The internet access would only be available to a few computers as it is not necessary for there to be to many as most people have computers at home. Anyone else thinks this would be a good idea? However, I do understand the costs could be a problem.

Offline MC

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2002, 06:40:17 pm »
I think the whole concept has possibilities but I'm not sure it would necessarily be a success. There would be capital outlay up-front in terms of shop fittings and PCs etc and the income from such a project would then need to cover operatings costs as well as providing a return on the investment. I think this would be tough to achieve.

The library idea is novel  ;D but a non-starter as described. The library service is just that - the Library Service run by the Council; it is not something that is about to branch out into food and beverages.

However the idea of a reading room type of arrangement is interesting. There is a bookshop in the States called Barnes and Noble which does something similar - customers are allowed access to some stuff (possibly the whole book/magazine inventory I'm not sure) while they are taking refreshment at the in-house cafe.

The trouble with all these ideas - great thought they are - is that a large amount of space would be required to support them all.

Mark

Offline Margaret

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2002, 11:32:01 am »
I remember that there was a tea/coffee place, where the chinese restaurant now is, :D that was very nice and I often used to go for a quick coffee with a friend after dropping children of at school, but it closed due to lack of support. Have not tried Jans for coffee but do buy my bread there when there is any.

John_fraser

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2002, 12:27:58 pm »
Never had an issue getting bread at Jan's, but we do have an order with them.

Offline Margaret

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2002, 03:18:38 pm »
Used to buy my bread at Jans after dropping the children of at school but now I don't do that so I go down later and I have noticed they run out of bread by about 10.

Offline CarolineB

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2002, 01:59:55 am »
Tearoom with reading area would be lovely - great idea. Jan's pantry is fine as it is, but not enough for a more social getting together. Both would be OK without interfering with each other, in my view.

Caroline
Caroline

Offline Eggysheggedra

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2004, 12:29:56 pm »
Love the idea of a tea room/book shop idea.  It would have to have delicious home made carrot cake though.  There's a lovely little place in Windsor nr Eton.  Very quiet, relaxed with classical music playing, art works on the walls and lots of plants.  How about something similar in BP - then perhaps we could start a poetry/literature/philosophy group?!

John_fraser

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 04:38:25 pm »
Five an a half years after Mark started this thread, we actually do have a tea room in Brookman's Park now - Bean-to-Cup. It's in the front of Lavendula. It doesn't do hot food, so it's not going for exactly the same market at the Bakers.

I also heard that the old Silver Apple place will become another Deli. With that, Oaks, Bean-To-Cup and The Bakers, caffe culture might be arriving in Brookmans Park.

Offline Merri

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 09:48:25 pm »
Is this right John old silver apple to be a deli great .Hope the person who will be running it knows how to smile unlike some deli people ,although he is improving ,think he's got the hint about village people and I don't mean the singing ,dancing variety!

Tags: