Author Topic: Major timetable change May 2018  (Read 1491 times)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Major timetable change May 2018
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:18:19 pm »
The time of EVERY train from Brookmans Park towards London or Welwyn Garden City will be changing on the 20th May. Local residents are strongly advised to check the times of new trains in advance to ensure they get to their destinations in time!

Despite claims of 'massive improvements' claimed by the rail companies, as I have mentioned before we are actually suffering a reduction in service from our station during off-peak times, so I strongly recommend you check! Updated timetables can be found on timetable planners such as

http://www.traintimes.org.uk

or from the rail company's information site at

http://www.railplan2020.com/timetables
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Major timetable change May 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 06:25:27 pm »
This of course is all to enable through services to some places south of The River. But as far as I can determine, we're not even provided with any opportunity for a cross platform interchange from our southbound services. The rearrangement of our remaining services may just increase my customary round trip time to the point where I abandon the associated activity.

On the other hand, it's an ill wind etc. Perhaps there will be less daytime parking pressure when drive'n'park commuters discover the service from the Hertford loop is so much better than ours!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

The following users thanked this post: Angel

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 07:54:50 am »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 07:09:18 am »
Is there a separate one for weekends?

I couldn't find one. The message on the site states: "In common with other train operators, Network Rail have not yet finished loading the full timetable to journey planners and we continue to support them as they do so. The majority of services are now available via the journey planners. Please sign up for emails for updates."

Unfortunately, the line "Please sign up for emails for updates" didn't have a link, and I was unable to find a link on the site.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

The following users thanked this post: Angel

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:17:51 am »
We've put the new local timetable online for you to download and print. As most rail travellers are probably aware, Great Northern has published a new train timetable affecting every train to and from Brookmans Park and Welham Green. It runs from May 20 to December 8, 2018. But local commuters have reported that they've found it difficult to make sense of what's been published online - particularly regarding arrivals and departures. So we've picked up the local timetable, scanned it, and it's now available below to download and print on North Mymms News.

Important changes to local train times - download new timetable

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 06:25:04 pm »
One thing to keep you on your toes is that not all the train services on our line are shown on that timetable. Because some trains are now operated by Thameslink rather than Great Northern, there is another whole different timetable showing their services.

See

https://www.railplan2020.com/-/media/goahead/railplan2020/may-timetables/tl-may-2018-thameslink-in-to--from-great-northern-mondays-to-fridays.pdf?la=en

Yes, it's confusion city. Next week is going to be interesting.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 07:25:36 pm »
One thing to keep you on your toes is that not all the train services on our line are shown on that timetable. Because some trains are now operated by Thameslink rather than Great Northern, there is another whole different timetable showing their services.

See

https://www.railplan2020.com/-/media/goahead/railplan2020/may-timetables/tl-may-2018-thameslink-in-to--from-great-northern-mondays-to-fridays.pdf?la=en

Yes, it's confusion city. Next week is going to be interesting.

James

But James, I can't see any mention of Brookmans Park or Welham Green on that timetable. I can see Potters Bar and Hatfield, but not our local stops. How does that timetable impact commuters using our local stations?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 08:58:20 pm »

James, I think there is some confusion here, which a friend has just phoned to point out. The services you mention are included in the timetable I posted. It's all there. So people just need to download the timetable showing the times of the trains arriving and departing at the local stations and they should be okay. Below is the text at the top of the timetable I posted. It reads: "This timetable shows all Great Northern and Thameslink services that call at any station between Welwyn Garden City and New Southgate from 20 May to 8 December 2018." Here is the link for people to download and print the timetable I posted this morning.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 08:56:15 pm »
There seem to have been a lot of cancellations today - so much for all their announcements about an improved service!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 06:26:41 am »
Good luck today BP and WG commuters. Hope all goes well. Please share any updates.

Offline Nimbus

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 05:01:20 pm »

Offline Local Walker

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 07:05:08 pm »
Could I have some advice? I know the results from the weekend consultation will be published in June. However checking several consecutive Sundays, it has shown that local Great Northern services are a lot worse. It is still staying hourly, which to me makes no sense but more importantly there is no longer a connection with the Peterborough services at Stevenage or Hitchin (or rather there is, but you have to wait 54 minutes rather than the previous 6). Should I wait until the consultation results are published or should I start a petition online now?

It says on National Rail that Great Northern and Thameslink are running to an interim timetable but it also seems to imply on National Rail that these new services on Sundays are going to stay as they are, with the exception of during engineering works.

Tell me, what is the point of say travelling from WGC to Finsbury Park to reduce the connection time with a Peterborough train rather than travelling a couple of stops north?

Offline Nimbus

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 07:48:28 pm »
I can't see it getting better! The 'interim' service configuration roughly equates to running some TL services into Kings Cross rather than through the Core to their ultimately intended southern destinations. Those few miles through Thameslink Core have dictated pretty much everything which has been imposed on us. The target of 24 trains per hour on this short stretch has for instance dictated the austerity interiors of the Class 700 units purely to satisfy the need for rapid passenger loading and unloading on this stretch. Never mind that this makes it a distinctly unpleasant prospect to make use of the much heralded ability to travel direct from Peterborough to Brighton! The specification of these trains should be blamed on the DfT, btw, not the operating company. My experience so far is that the connections between the various service streams is one of the worst features. There are now slow services to Moorgate which close their doors for departure at Finsbury Park just as a faster service to Kings Cross arrives and opens its doors!

Tags: