Author Topic: Important WWII defence emplacement found in Brookmans Park  (Read 969 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Important WWII defence emplacement found in Brookmans Park
« on: March 23, 2018, 03:19:41 pm »
Hidden in undergrowth, to the west of Station Road, is a WWII emplacement, possibly used for a spigot mortar in order to defend the Brookmans Park railway bridge. The find has only just come to light after a local man spoke to local historian and archivist, Peter Miller, telling how he and his pals used to play on the site when they were children in the 1960s.

Wartime defence emplacement found in Brookmans Park
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Important WWII defence emplacement found in Brookmans Park
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:36:05 pm »
I thought everyone knew of this. But then I suppose I have been around these parts for a rather long time now!
Having said that, I looked out for it from a car recently, but couldn't distinguish it, and assumed it had been removed. Perhaps it has been reduced in size, up to 1970 it was a fairly comfortable summertime perch for a band of us schoolboys awaiting a northbound 343 to continue our homeward trek, having arrived from Hitchin by train.

I seem to remember it had sighting/firing slits in its wall.  It was roughly a shallow 'U' in plan, much like a traditional domestic bay window wall. There was no organised floor behind, just bare earth, which was eroding back then and somewhat undermining the wall itself. I found someone's stash of naughty magazines hidden there in a polythene bag on one occasion!

Incidentally, I wouldn't have noticed this to reply to had it been posted only on the History site.

The following users thanked this post: Editor, epiphany

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 05:13:27 pm »
I seem to remember it had sighting/firing slits in its wall.  It was roughly a shallow 'U' in plan, much like a traditional domestic bay window wall. There was no organised floor behind, just bare earth, which was eroding back then and somewhat undermining the wall itself.

Hi Nimbus, may I add this sentence to the feature on our history site, please?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Nimbus

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 05:34:58 pm »
Glad to help; PM sent!

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 06:23:05 pm »
Incidentally, I wouldn't have noticed this to reply to had it been posted only on the History site.

Hi Nimbus,

I forgot to respond to this point.

Please bookmark the new history site the North Mymms History Project. New local history features are being added on a regular basis, and all have a comment box at the bottom of the page for anyone who is able to add any fresh information. There is also a contact us form at the bottom right of every page for anyone who wants to submit or suggest a piece for the site.

We currently have 110 features, books, documents, and memories on the site, which is far more than we had on the old history section. The team behind the project is keen to enlist the community in making this a dynamic history site. Every new addition is also tweeted from @NorthMymmsPast, the project's Twitter account. If you are on Twitter, please consider following us, too.

David

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 04:22:28 pm »
Could there have been a Tett Turrett defending the Transmitter station.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 05:40:53 pm »
Could there have been a Tett Turrett defending the Transmitter station.

Hi Abbot, after examining the exif data attached to your image it comes up with this location. Is this correct?

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 11:38:11 pm »
Yes

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 10:38:02 am »
Well it definitely looks like a Tett turret to me. Some more pictures below.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 10:38:35 am »
A couple more pictures...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 04:07:11 pm »
Thanks to Abbot, we've now put together a short feature on the Bell Bar Tett turret for our local history site, the North Mymms History Project. Please contact us if you have any local history information you would like to share with the site. You can find a contact form bottom right of any page on the site. And you can also sign up for email alerts when new material is added (top right of any page on the site).

Bell Bar's WWII Tett turret and tank traps

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 11:38:07 am »
The Welwyn Hatfield Times has published a slightly edited version of our piece on the Tett turret find, with our permission - thanks again to Abbot for sharing.

Tags: