Author Topic: Bomb Craters  (Read 1595 times)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Bomb Craters
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:24:39 am »
Even since I was a small child I remember several holes in Gobions Woods being referred to as the bomb craters.

I never knew whether these really were from WW2 or just a natural sinkhole

Having researched this a bit more with http://www.bombsight.org it seems that's not the case but a couple of bombs did fall in the BP area although not in populated areas

An interesting site for anyone interested in local history

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
Re: Bomb Craters
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:17:31 pm »
An urban myth!

I believe they are actually swallow holes.

Offline Nobby

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 02:17:40 pm »
Many of the hollows in local woods and fields are chalk pits or clay pits - hence Brickkiln Wood near railway station and the Chalkdrawers Arms in Colney Heath. One or two are dried out fishponds, e.g. alongside Tollgate Road as you approach Colney Heath.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 03:38:52 pm »
1935 O/S 25 inch to the mile map showing location of the swallow holes - Before WWII!!

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 05:47:54 pm »
Even since I was a small child I remember several holes in Gobions Woods being referred to as the bomb craters.

Some info here:
http://www.brookmans.com/history/waryears/ch3.shtml

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:37:39 am »

Some info here:
http://www.brookmans.com/history/waryears/ch3.shtml

I think Epiphany is right when he posts that the bomb craters are "an urban myth". The piece was written almost 20 years ago based on a booklet published by the old North Mymms Local History Society. I added to the text with what I thought, at the time, were facts. I am now updating all the history books. You can check the revised version here with a (hopefully authentic) reproduction of 'On The Home Front - The People and Parish of North Mymms 1939-45'
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 12:06:57 pm »
Well, I have to confess your post left me stunned. To think all these years I've been labouring under a misapprehension. I've been racking my brains to thing how this came about and the best I can come up with is the '-any' ending sounds like a couple of girls' names. Yes, I thought epiphany was a she (Sorry, epiphany).

As to the craters, it's probable that these are marl pits but there is the chance that at least one may be a bomb crater (anyone with a metal detector and the land owner's permission should be able to find out fairly quickly as there would be fragments of the metal casing if it was), as Queenswood School's hockey field took a direct hit during the war*.

If memory serves me correctly, there was some fevered speculation about the hole in Oak Grove Dell (encompassed by Oak Grove, Marylands and Grove Mead) in Hatfield several years back. Someone at the Uni thought it might be a meteorite impact crater with all the trees growing around the edge around the same age. Others pointed to its proximity to what had been de Havillands (whose Mosquitoes had so annoyed the Reich they even sent Eddie Chapman aka Agent ZigZag to nip over the wall with some explosives) and said it was Luftwaffe landscaping. Alas, it's just another marl pit, which compared to the previous two is the most boring explanation.

"*In 1940 the first 1000lb bomb dropped on Queenswood’s hockey field."
http://www.queenswood.org/The-History-of-Queenswood

Offline epiphany

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 01:11:56 pm »
A photo of the aforementioned Queenswood crater from Ms ephiphany  :)

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 03:24:20 pm »
Ooh!, You're awful but I like you. :icon_jokercolor:

Tags: