Author Topic: Online Residents' Association  (Read 14463 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Online Residents' Association
« on: April 12, 2002, 11:28:31 am »
Two years ago this summer the North Mymms Residents' Association (NMRA) held its final meeting. Four people turned up for that gathering including officials and it was closed because of a lack of interest. However, judging by contributions to this site's forum people remain concerned about local issues and continue to have strong views.

So should/can that interest and concern be harnessed to achieve results? Could the NMRA become the NMORA - the North Mymms Online Residents' Association or the VNMRA - Virtual North Mymms Residents' Association, with its meeting place becoming this site's forum?

Good idea or bad idea?  Anyone want to set it up?  Please add your comments for and against below. more details  

David Brewer - Forum Administrator

« Last Edit: May 28, 2002, 12:02:49 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

Re: Virtual Residents' Association?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 11:38:31 am »
A first rate idea. My own situation, which I know many share, is the hours I work. I can’t reliably attend meetings and as a result, not wanting to let people down, I don’t volunteer for anything except occasional stuff and stuff I can do in my own time. There is a danger of it becoming a virtual talking shop, but the work done on the Golden Jubilee is encouraging.

Definitely an idea that should be investigated.  

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2002, 02:50:54 pm »
A good idea, better than what we have at the moment ie. nothing. :'(
I volunteer for chair(person) politically correct you note as long as there are compulsory meetings in the pub. :)
Would it not be nice to organise as neighbourhod watch with co-ordinators from each road.
As for enthusiasm wait untill we publish results of Jubillee Do next week ???
regards,
jet

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2002, 09:23:49 pm »
I think its a great idea.......and here is a first issue, why isn't the village green prettier........why can't we make a blaze of colour make a feature of it! It would give the whole village a much nicer look.

But anyway, yes a great idea but I agree with Jet it would be nice if on occassions we could meet to discuss things in more detail. I can't give a huge amount of time, and certainly don't think I'm to running it......but would love to involved and help out.

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2002, 12:46:39 am »
A great idea if you can make it work.  I would gladly sign up to be an offshore member (a non resident owner of a house in the  parish).   But and it is a big but - this site has been a little quiet over the last couple of days - can the momentum be kept up for a residents association.  And an even  bigger but, this is a great website for BP, but North Mymms includes Welham Green, Little Heath and other outlying places (forgive me, I cannot remember the parish boundaries).   If we want a true VNMRA, it has got to be sensible to get in touch with the Parish Council and the local Welwyn & Hatfield Councillors who cover North Mymms to spread the word amongst the parish to see if there is real support.  Bill Storey comes to mind.    Otherwise a VBPRA?    

I liked Anna's comment about the village green - it could be so much better.  Personally, I preferred  it when it was full of rhododenrum bushes (you could hide in them), but equally I like pretty bedding plants.  But think about it, BP isn't the only village green in the parish.

Regards from a place that has lots of pretty greens with lots of bedding plants, and an economy that can afford to water them.  

Regards
Mary

PS Daughter of a father who was on the Committee  of the North Mymms Ratepayers Assoc (predecessors to the Residents Assoc) who spent many hours discussing the merits of siting public toilets on the village green in BP in the 50s and 60s.  Bet you are glad they didn't!!!! or perhaps you are not! ;D ;D

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2002, 12:37:17 pm »
Dear Mary,

Since the village green is effectively my front garden, I am very glad they didn't!

I also agree with Anna's idea of making it prettier - I suppose also for the selfish reason that I can look at it out of my lounge window...

Aidan

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2002, 01:51:49 pm »
I have spoken to a former committee member of the old NMRA and picked up a few tips.

If a new ‘virtual’ Residents’ Association is formed it needs a name and a recognised group of officials – a committee - to decide what issues should be taken up on behalf of the RA, how those issue are raised and with whom. So it probably needs a chair, a secretary and a treasurer - although if this is all done online there will probably be no need for a treasurer with no postage or paper necessary. Those recognised 'officials' and any others anyone can think of would then agree on the Association’s agenda.

To save postage and paper I can set up an e-mail alias, say residents@brookmans.com , which could point to the mailboxes of the committee members.  They could then send and receive mail to and from residents@brookmans.com .  A signature could be added to all mails with the name of the Association etc.  I guess no mail should be sent on any issue unless the committee agrees.

I see JET has already put his hand up for the position of chair.  
I volunteer for chair(person) politically correct you note as long as there are compulsory meetings in the pub. :)
Anyone wants to challenge that or volunteer for other positions.  Obviously it would be good to get a broad representation of views and backgrounds on the committee.

Mary raises a good point when it was suggested that a Virtual North Mymms Residents' Association be set up that it should include the whole parish of North Mymms.
If we want a true VNMRA, it has got to be sensible to get in touch with the Parish Council and the local Welwyn & Hatfield Councillors who cover North Mymms to spread the word amongst the parish to see if there is real support.

So I could set up a secure area of the forum visible only to certain forum members who are on the committee.  There they could discuss issues to be raised and agree on wording…all online and all without having to leave the house/office. All members of that group could have the title Residents’ Association Official and that could follow all their postings on the Forum. They could then post issues for debate in the general area and take the conclusions back to the Residents’ Association forum before they are raised with the various authorities.

Anyway just a few thoughts to add to those already set out.  For those new to this thread here is the article on the site explaining the background. more details  

David Brewer - Forum Administrator
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline anna

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2002, 02:44:59 pm »
Ok I'll volunteer for a position.........I just don't know what!

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2002, 07:07:24 pm »
I too would be interested.

Aidan

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2002, 08:32:27 pm »
So we seem to have four volunteers for the NMVRA (North Mymms Virtual Residents' Association), JET, anna, Aidan and Mary.  John F seems to be hovering.  Anyone else want to be on the committee.  I suppose the next job is to elect officials etc?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2002, 08:34:18 pm by admin »

John_fraser

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2002, 10:09:37 pm »
Me hover? Thought I was always forthright in my views.

Yes, count me in

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2002, 10:28:38 pm »
Excellent John.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2002, 03:20:39 am »
I would like to be chair "person" as it entails a gavel and a medium sized stick to keep order, meetings around my place I provide chairs others provide refreshment :)
Seriously though  lets get it going once we have sorted out Jubilee, a poor anglo irishman cannot do two things properly at once ;)
regards
jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Online Residents' Association?
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2002, 06:17:03 pm »
Interest is growing. Update on front page of site. click here

Offline MC

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2002, 07:53:05 pm »
I'd like to lend a hand too.

Mark

Offline Margaret

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2002, 07:56:16 pm »
You can count me in too.
Margaret

Offline CarolineB

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2002, 02:15:57 am »
I think it is an excellent idea, and favour it being a Brookmans Park group. I would be happy to be involved.

Caroline
Caroline

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2002, 06:17:43 pm »
Caroline and Margaret, a short update on NMORA, the North Mymms Online Residents' Association, has been posted on the site.

Offline anna

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2002, 11:53:48 pm »
Just wanted to say a quick welcome to Margaret  and CarolineB.  We are having a break over the next few months, due to holidays etc, but plan to resume in the September, but hopefully we will arrange a social meeting, down the pub, so we can all get to know each other a little.

The NMORA, is a voice for  BP and the surrounding areas, as many are inter-linked.  We are all really pleased you have decided to join us, and if there are others interested please let us know!  

« Last Edit: May 27, 2002, 11:57:52 pm by admin »

Tags: