Author Topic: In memory of Roger Youngman - 1943-2017  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
In memory of Roger Youngman - 1943-2017
« on: July 03, 2017, 04:47:52 pm »
The family of the late Roger Youngman, formerly bar manager at The Brookmans Park Hotel and, more recently, bar manager at The Brookmans Park Golf Club, has sent the following to be posted on the site.

YOUNGMAN, ROGER of Brookmans Park, died suddenly while on holiday.  Much loved and greatly missed by all his family and friends.  Funeral service to take place at West Herts Crematorium, Garston, WD25 0JS on Friday 14th July at 1.20pm.   Afterwards at Brookmans, Bradmore Green, Brookmans Park, AL9 7QW. Family flowers only please.  Donations, if desired,  to Cancer Research UK c/o Nethercott Funeral Service. Tel: 01707-652288.  An additional memorial service at Burgh Parva Church, Melton Constable, Norfolk, will be held at a date to be advised.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ellie

• Opinions on some things
  • Give me peace
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Zumba
  • Reading
Re: In memory of Roger Youngman - 1943-2017
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 06:22:47 pm »
I have very fond memories of Roger from his time at the Brookmans Park Hotel. He always managed to find us girls somewhere to sit, even on a Friday night when it was really busy. Bless you Roger x

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 06:33:27 pm »
A lovely, old-fashioned bar manager who took no prisoners. Roger ran the place. The best beer on hand pump in those days was Marston's Pedigree. I was a bit fussy, I suppose, but I liked my beer fresh and not cloudy. If it was slightly lacking, I would take it back. Roger would always say "well, nobody else has complained", immediately making me feel guilty - and then, with a twinkle in his eye, and that lovely smile, he would grab my pint, empty it and pour me a fresh one. Class act.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 12:31:03 am »
More comments posted on our Facebook page...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 10:04:41 am »
I am adding any comments about Roger, made on The Brookmans Park Newsletter's Facebook page, to the post above. You can add your own memories on that Facebook thread or here in the forum. Below are a few pictures of Rogers serving behind the bar in the old Brookmans Park Hotel shortly before it was refurbished in 2000. Sorry the images are poor quality, I can't find the originals.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 08:13:56 pm »
For those of you not on Facebook but who would like to read the tributes to Roger, I am updating an earlier post in this thread with the latest contributions. Almost 30 messages as of 8pm July 4.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:57:25 am »
Lovely to read all the tributes to Roger that are still being posted on our Facebook page, and copied here in an earlier forum post (for those not on Facebook). He clearly made many friends in Brookmans Park.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 03:25:35 pm »
The tributes to Roger continue to pour in. So much so that the thread above with all the updates, copied over from our Facebook page is taking far too long to load, so I am starting to add the more recent below. This latest one is a really lovely memory which I am embedding and copying in full as an image. Nice memories; similar to mine when we moved here 20 years ago.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 07:31:36 pm »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:26:07 am »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 10:07:39 pm »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 02:01:02 pm »
A reminder that the funeral service is at West Herts Crematorium, Garston, WD25 0JS on Friday 14th July at 1.20pm. Afterwards at Brookmans, Bradmore Green, Brookmans Park, AL9 7QW. Family flowers only please. Donations, if desired, to Cancer Research UK c/o Nethercott Funeral Service. Tel: 01707-652288.

Tags: