Author Topic: Do 'thank you' totals serve any real purpose?  (Read 889 times)

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Do 'thank you' totals serve any real purpose?
« on: November 04, 2016, 10:39:50 am »

While I'd agree that the 'thank you' button is a convenient way of agreeing / appreciating a post (without actually posting those sentiments), I find the running total of them attached to one's identifier odd.

I know of instances on another site when someone has been thanked for posts which are inaccurate.

While a good post if not 'thanked' in this way remains just another post (like David's point about the Garden Waste Collection Charge - Reply #16).

So it seems to me these running totals just take up bandwidth.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Do 'thank you' totals serve any real purpose?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 11:36:52 am »
Hi Trekbat, I guess it's all subjective and based on whether or not someone thinks the post adds value in terms of sharing information. I also thank people for taking the time to comment on a current issue if I feel it helps me understand it better. We are all busy, and bothering to log in and knock out a reply means that someone cares about something. I've even thanked people with whom I don't agree, simply because their point of view sheds a different light on the matter. Not sure it takes up a great deal of bandwidth though. Anyway, thanks for the comment.   :)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

The following users thanked this post: Angel

Tags: