Author Topic: Garden Waste Collection Charge  (Read 30353 times)

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
Re: Garden Waste Collection Charge
« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2017, 02:02:04 pm »

Perhaps the council elections next month are an opportunity to express our opinions of yet more bad decisions!

Totally agree Aquila.

I note that Stephen Boulton, who is the current Borough Councillor for Brookmans Park and who recently voted in favour along with all the other Conservative Counciilors for this fiasco now states the following 'good reason' why you should vote Conservative in his election leaflet for the forthcoming County Council elections on May 4th.

"REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE - With local District Councils, we have increased recycling to more than 50% compared with 44% nationally and continue to reduce waste going to landfill"

I am not sure how instructing every household in Welwyn Hatfield to cease placing their food waste in the brown bin for composting and now place the food waste in the black landfill bin "continues to reduce waste going to landfill".

Perhaps Mr Boulton, who lives locally, would like to explain on this forum?

The following users thanked this post: Angel

Offline LMS

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2017, 02:46:17 pm »
I agree wholeheartedly with Aqila, the council have not thought this through at all and after their mismanagement and lack of proper planning over the incinerator fiasco I for one will not be giving them another chance - its definitely time for a change.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2017, 02:59:58 pm »
Interesting quote from "a council spokeswoman" in the WHT...

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/welwyn-hatfield-food-waste-options-1-4984732

ďIn the meantime, we will be promoting better food waste management to help keep waste diverted from landfill.Ē

But no details of what better food waste management means!
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Purrfect

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2017, 01:19:05 am »
We normally dispose of approx. 1 Stone of landfill/black bin waste every two weeks, but with all the extra food waste, I was staggered to see the weight increase to over 7.5 Stone (excluding the bin) i.e. well over 7 times the normal weight, and the bin being totally full instead of less than one third full. This excludes any garden waste/flowers etc or compostable food which wonít attract flies/vermin in the garden.

Iím unsure how many households there are in Welwyn Hatfield, but if itís about 43,000, then thatís potentially an extra 1.8 Million extra Kg (1,800 Tonnes) of food being diverted into landfill every two weeks (= 47 Million extra Kg or 46,800 Tonnes per year) until the council re-instate the food recycling!

Please excuse my figures if they arenít correct but it gives a rough idea Ė some smaller households will have less waste and some larger ones more.

Perhaps we can all pool our resources together to buy 43,000 food waste bins at a large discount, lease a lorry and hire staff to collect the bins every two weeks and deliver them to a recycling centre who will subsidise the scheme? Oh hang on, isnít that a service weíre already paying for in council tax but not now receiving? !!

Also, weíve noticed a large increase in bonfire smoke after dark recently, so I guess some residents are now burning their garden waste to avoid the £35 charge?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2017, 06:48:14 am »
Perhaps Mr Boulton, who lives locally, would like to explain on this forum?

Good idea Epiphany, I have invited him via Twitter (tweet below). You might want to follow up with a phone call. His details are online. http://www.welhat.gov.uk/StephenBoulton

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2017, 02:22:54 pm »
I've started a new thread with some tips on how to set up your own kitchen waste recycling scheme, it's entitled Build your own kitchen waste compost bin. Please add any tips and tricks re compost to that thread. Thanks

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2017, 10:14:31 am »

... I wonder why?

::)

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2017, 01:34:33 pm »
Perhaps the council elections next month are an opportunity to express our opinions of yet more bad decisions!

Unfortunately, it may take a year or two of consistent voting in expensive elections across Welwyn Hatfield to alter the balance of power sufficiently to achieve a change at the top - as the article below (first published here in Reply #97 on February 18, 2017) explains:

ĎWelwyn Hatfield election shake-up could save thousandsí
"Welwyn Hatfield council chiefs are wilfully refusing to make a simple change to the election system that could make major financial savings and boost turnout, opposition critics have claimed."
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/welwyn_hatfield_election_shake_up_could_save_thousands_1_4895860

The following users thanked this post: peppermint

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2017, 07:19:06 am »
For those interested in the Council Election results:

Offline epiphany

« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2017, 06:31:52 pm »
What a  shame our Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council is so environmentally irresponsible.

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/potters-bar-residents-urged-to-recycle-their-food-waste-1-5011060

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2017, 01:50:27 pm »
"Council figures covering April to June this year revealed rubbish sent for reuse, recycling and composting had fallen to 46 per cent, down from 54 per cent during the same period for 2016...Welwyn Hatfield Council also infuriated critics by lowering its recycling target for the period from 53 per cent to 42 per cent, which opposition members claimed reflected its resignation to failure.
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/recycling-plummets-after-welwyn-hatfield-council-s-brown-bins-charge-latest-figures-reveal-1-5250542

Offline epiphany

« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2017, 12:45:44 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2017, 01:24:19 pm »
Is that a trick question ?

Offline epiphany

« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2017, 01:33:18 pm »
Is that a rhetorical question?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2017, 04:34:48 pm »
Why is our Conservative Council consistently so useless???

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/brown-bins-u-turn-welwyn-hatfield-council-changes-food-waste-policy-1-5264068

Explaining the legal implications, a council document says: ďIndependent legal advice has been sought regarding the placing of food waste into the brown bins and whilst it is possible for the council to collect brown bins containing a mixture of garden and food waste, the council will need to make it clear that the charge is for the collection of garden waste only and that we will continue to collect the food waste for free.Ē

So does the clumsily-constructed ambiguous paragraph (above) mean that if someone hasn't paid for the brown bin charge, they can put food waste in their old brown bin and have it collected free-of-charge every other week as long as it doesn't contain any garden waste?

Or will the council now have to provide a new container for collecting food waste which they seem to have committed to collect "we will continue to collect the food waste for free" (sic).

(The use of the word "continue" is a bit of a puzzle because the food waste has not been collected free-of-charge on a continuing basis.)

And if we are no longer being encouraged to compost food waste, will they be sending a truck round to collect all the black composting bins they dished out a few months ago?

:icon_scratch:

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2017, 05:08:16 pm »
Seems fairly clear to me

If you have paid £35 for a brown bin collection you can put food waste in there along with garden waste
If you haven't paid £35 you just continue to put it in your black bin which will continue to be collected (as general waste always has been)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2017, 05:10:03 pm »
Seems fairly clear to me

If you have paid £35 for a brown bin collection you can put food waste in there along with garden waste
If you haven't paid £35 you just continue to put it in your black bin which will continue to be collected (as general waste always has been)

Thanks Sasquartch.

Offline Aqila

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2017, 06:11:31 pm »
A very interesting u-turn!  However I am still a little unclear. 

- The latest collection date card that came through the door only a few days ago still says "No kitchen food waste" for the brown bin.

- If indeed we can put food waste in, does that include cooked food?  I understood that could only be processed by special high temerature composters, which I assumed WH were no longer sending the waste to.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2017, 04:31:10 pm »
Still no official notification from the Council that we may put food waste in the brown bin.  We are not doing so - cannot risk the whole bin being rejected as "contaminated".

Offline Nobby

« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2017, 04:35:46 pm »
I'm sure I read somewhere that we can. I've been brown-binning food waste for the last month with no problems.

Offline Helen

« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2017, 05:17:45 pm »
I emailed the council earlier to check. I received the following reply:

I confirm that if you have subscribed to the new garden waste service food waste can now be placed in the brown bin.
We do ask that the food waste is not wrapped in newspaper but compostable bags can be used.
Further information can be found on the update and FAQs section on the following link on our website :
http://www.welhat.gov.uk/gardenwaste

Offline Nimbus

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2017, 05:26:31 pm »
...And if you haven't "subscribed" to the brown bin? What, food waste goes in the black bin? But brown bin subscribers still have a black bin, so what's the problem if they put the food waste in that? Surely it's better to have food confined to one waste stream borough-wide?

Offline LMS

« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2017, 05:30:14 pm »
Obviously our council donít care about the environmental impact so Iíve now also given up. I shall put our food waste in both bins and so have a weekly collection, with no smelly food waste hanging around.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2017, 03:00:13 pm »
Obviously our council donít care about the environmental impact so Iíve now also given up. I shall put our food waste in both bins and so have a weekly collection, with no smelly food waste hanging around.

Latest flyer from Serco is clear, no food waste in brown, garden bins .

Offline LMS

« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2017, 03:26:45 pm »
I emailed the council earlier to check. I received the following reply:

I confirm that if you have subscribed to the new garden waste service food waste can now be placed in the brown bin.
We do ask that the food waste is not wrapped in newspaper but compostable bags can be used.
Further information can be found on the update and FAQs section on the following link on our website :
http://www.welhat.gov.uk/gardenwaste

Latest flyer from Serco is clear, no food waste in brown, garden bins .

Now Iím totally confused!!!???🤔🤔

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2017, 06:19:32 pm »
If you go through to the link provided by Helen, it is quite clear that you can put food waste into the brown bin. Furthermore, you can put the food waste into compostable brown paper caddy liners before putting it into the brown bin.

At the end of the link, it says that the latest flyers were produced before the decision was taken, and that the website information supersedes the flyer.

Offline Helen

« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2017, 06:43:59 pm »
There's no joined up thinking I agree, but yes, i was told that the latest bin collection day calendars that are coming through our letterboxes imminently are already out of date & that the decision to allow food waste into the brown bins again was made after they were printed.  ::)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #177 on: Yesterday at 09:42:23 am »
There's no joined up thinking I agree, but yes, i was told that the latest bin collection day calendars that are coming through our letterboxes imminently are already out of date & that the decision to allow food waste into the brown bins again was made after they were printed.  ::)

Thanks Helen,

I wonder why they feel it a good idea to waste council resources delivering out-of-date information. Of course we will probably never know. I am still putting all our raw veg/fruit kitchen waste in the lovely free compost bin the council handed out. The other day I opened the small door at the bottom and saw I have some lovely brown compost for the spring. So we will continue to compost; perhaps the one positive to come out of this whole confusing/confused WHBC strategy.

David

Tags: