Author Topic: Brookmans Wines extended hours  (Read 1535 times)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Brookmans Wines extended hours
« on: October 21, 2016, 11:05:25 am »
Residents of Bradmore Green may be interested in this licensing application which has been submitted to the local council. The closing date for any response is 28 days after the 10th October.

James

James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Brookmans Wines extended hours
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:11:32 am »
Residents of Bradmore Green may be interested in this licensing application which has been submitted to the local council. The closing date for any response is 28 days after the 10th October.

Thanks for sharing that James. So it seems the change is that the off-licence will stay open until 4am. They must have researched a business case for being open in the middle of the night. I am surprised there is a demand.  :icon_scratch:
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:12:14 am »
I just hope all these people turning up at 3:30am to collect their wine and beer are going to be nice and quiet bearing in mind it is a residential area as well!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 11:16:09 am »
What's to stop an off-licence putting tables and chairs outside like others do?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 04:40:11 pm »
I think the term off in off-licence means products are sold off the premises so doubt they could set up chairs outside :-)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 05:17:52 pm »
I think the term off in off-licence means products are sold off the premises so doubt they could set up chairs outside :-)

I think you meant to write 'products are consumed off the premises.  ;)

But what's to stop them putting a few chairs and tables on the pavement outside like the cafes in the village do, or do the cafes have a difference type of licence which allows them to spill on to the pavement?

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 11:48:12 pm »
Part of the license request on Welwyn Hatfield website includes a request to allow consumption on the premises as well. I'm trying to find out more details about that, but the WelHat licensing officer is away until Wednesday.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 08:25:05 am »
Part of the license request on Welwyn Hatfield website includes a request to allow consumption on the premises as well. I'm trying to find out more details about that, but the WelHat licensing officer is away until Wednesday.

I followed the link that was in the image you shared at the start of the thread and made a screen grab of the relevant section. The application includes "consumption of alcohol on the premises for wine/beer tasting functions". I also notice that representations have to be in by Thursday 3 November and that no representations have yet been submitted (according to that grab made at 8am on Saturday 22 October).

Offline brosey2

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 11:28:53 am »
Think this will be good. The Coop does close rather early on the weekend and if you need to stock up on supplies there are no real options. There is clearly demand for this otherwise they could not justify time/money to stay open. Think we should support a local business and have faith that the community will be respectable entering and leaving the premises.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 01:54:42 pm »
The application for consumption on the premises appears only to be for 'tasting functions' - I'd doubt that a licence for regular on-premise (or pavement) consumption would be granted given that there are residential properties above the shops

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 02:00:11 pm »
The application for consumption on the premises appears only to be for 'tasting functions'

Yes, I checked out the application and saw that, too.

The application includes "consumption of alcohol on the premises for wine/beer tasting functions".

I always appreciate it if I am able to sample wine before I buy. The retailer I currently use in WGC has their recommended promotions available at a tasting table and it's good to be able to sample before forking out.

Offline Pixel Crazy

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 02:31:47 pm »
Seem to remember in the distant past, that use to happen at the wine shop.  Was is Jan and Dave who ran it then??

I would be worried working in a small shop like that at 4.00am in the morning. Honestly cant see the demand.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 02:47:05 pm »
Seem to remember in the distant past, that use to happen at the wine shop.  Was is Jan and Dave who ran it then??

Yes, I remember that, too. I'd forgotten until you mentioned it. Drawing up a rota to staff from 8am to 4am won't be easy or cheap though.

Tags: