Author Topic: New street lighting  (Read 2157 times)

Offline larrylamb

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
New street lighting
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:01:00 pm »
The new lighting the council have fitted is clearly incorrect, we have gone from relatively poor lighting albeit a fairly even spread to areas of the road in complete darkness!

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
Re: New street lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 06:37:33 pm »
Have been in contact with HCC and they have acknowledged the new light fittings are incorrect and will be replaced soon with the correct type.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 06:41:35 pm »
Have been in contact with HCC and they have acknowledged the new light fittings are incorrect and will be replaced soon with the correct type.

Result, well done.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jmj

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:30:31 am »

Any idea if this was done?  ???
They still seem very odd along Calder Avenue.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 03:04:30 pm »
No - it appears HCC have gone back on their commitment to fit the correct lighting heads.

Any idea if this was done?  ???
They still seem very odd along Calder Avenue.
No - it appears HCC have gone back on their commitment to fit the correct lighting, received an email last week stating that "the necessary works have been carried out. no further action is planned" Lets hope that there is not an accident or fatality due to the now reduced lighting. If there is I will make sure the appropriate authority knows that HCC were on notice that the lighting is not fit for purpose which they chose to ignore.

Offline Helen

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 11:21:39 am »
I've noticed this on Mymms Drive & Georges Wood Road (I haven't been down Calder for a while) - I nearly put a post up (not realising there was one already) as I couldn't believe the people responsible (council or private contractors as they're private roads?) could possibly think they were fit for purpose. It's so dangerous, especially as these two roads have no pavements - tiny shaft of light directly under the streetlamp itself, with the rest of the road in stygian darkness.

Offline Purrfect

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 03:05:51 am »
I agree Helen the street lamps along Georges Wood Rd appear to be more decorative than functional. When walking home from the station, my wife needs to use a powerful LED torch and I use my mobile phone torch to avoid the many trip hazards along GWR.

And since the street lights have been switched off completely in Pine Grove (long before the last trains arrive and sometimes well before midnight), I find it much safer to walk (or run when exercising) in the road since so few cars are around that late.

Together with the likely withdrawal of (or extra charges for) some recycling services soon, it does seem tempting to hold back a good portion of our council tax payments which are supposed to pay for street lighting (late at night when most needed) and garden/food recycling (to reduce landfill/fly-tipping)!!

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 09:41:58 am »
I agree Helen the street lamps along Georges Wood Rd appear to be more decorative than functional. When walking home from the station, my wife needs to use a powerful LED torch and I use my mobile phone torch to avoid the many trip hazards along GWR.

And since the street lights have been switched off completely in Pine Grove (long before the last trains arrive and sometimes well before midnight), I find it much safer to walk (or run when exercising) in the road since so few cars are around that late.

Together with the likely withdrawal of (or extra charges for) some recycling services soon, it does seem tempting to hold back a good portion of our council tax payments which are supposed to pay for street lighting (late at night when most needed) and garden/food recycling (to reduce landfill/fly-tipping)!!
If enough people held back a portion of council tax it would certainly send a message to the authorities. we talk about a progressive society but we are really going back to the dark ages, what does not add up is with all the economic migrants in the UK with the additional tax receipts why are we still regressing?

Would be interested to understand where the trip hazards are in GWR please, we do take care of our road only this morning we had to call out a private contractor to clear the road of a load of loose concrete aggregrate deposited on the carriageway.

Offline Purrfect

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 02:18:22 am »

Thanks larrylamb,

Since there is no pavement in GWR, the uneven grass and extended / often raised driveways themselves are trip hazards in the dark or for those with impaired vision which is why so many pedestrians choose to walk in the road instead (presumably this is why the 20mph speed limit signs were installed).

The attached photo of a raised BT box in the footway in Brookmans Ave at the junction of Golf Club Rd/GWR is another trip hazard! Hence, torches or mobile phone torches are recommended after dark until the street lighting is improved, either by changing them to a much brighter/wider beam coverage like the older orange lamps provided or by installing more to fill in the gaps.

For those lights which turn off at 11pm/midnight, extending them to 2.30am would certainly improve safety for those walking from the last trains; there are several dog-walkers out after midnight too and extended lighting times would result in more mess being visible/picked up too.

Offline Adrian

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 06:21:26 pm »
Looking at the bricks marking the edge of the foot way on either side, it appears the path may have worn and the BT box was once flush with the pavement.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 07:54:29 pm »

Thanks larrylamb,

Since there is no pavement in GWR, the uneven grass and extended / often raised driveways themselves are trip hazards in the dark or for those with impaired vision which is why so many pedestrians choose to walk in the road instead (presumably this is why the 20mph speed limit signs were installed).

The attached photo of a raised BT box in the footway in Brookmans Ave at the junction of Golf Club Rd/GWR is another trip hazard! Hence, torches or mobile phone torches are recommended after dark until the street lighting is improved, either by changing them to a much brighter/wider beam coverage like the older orange lamps provided or by installing more to fill in the gaps.

For those lights which turn off at 11pm/midnight, extending them to 2.30am would certainly improve safety for those walking from the last trains; there are several dog-walkers out after midnight too and extended lighting times would result in more mess being visible/picked up too.
Hi Purrfect,

Yes you are correct it is because there are no pathways/pavements in GWR we fitted the 20MPH signage, in addition we have warning signs stating the roadway has no pathways and the carriageway is shared with pedestrians.

If I could ask you to put your views to HCC about the lighting this can only help. I must say I dont envy anyone walking down GWR especially in the dark, if I had to I would wear a hi viz vest.

Take care.

Tags: