Author Topic: EDITING  (Read 6186 times)

observer

EDITING
« on: November 09, 2002, 08:47:32 pm »
Has anyone else had their comments edited? I have! If this is a forum then people should be heard...I hasten to say my supposed mistake was to give my impression of how I found a local establishment very old fashioned!
I think this kind of censorship can only undermine the principles on which this site was first started. Can this be the end of interesting local topics or shall we go back to more traditional methods of free speech and use the village green????  Hopefully not edited!!!!!!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: EDITING
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2002, 08:53:13 pm »
Dear Observer,
Editing is done to save the poster and the site owner getting into litigation with any potential wounded party.
Mind you I could think of a few "heads I could hit" round this village :) :) :) :)
Don't feel hard done by if there is no free speech in this country any more we cannot expect any on a private site.
regards,
jet

observer

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2002, 09:04:52 pm »
Good on you Jet!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2002, 09:19:04 pm »
I think this kind of censorship can only undermine the principles on which this site was first started.
Observer, if you have an issue with a local business please raise it with the business itself not here. The principles this site was built on have not changed and can be accessed by clicking here.  The forum agreement is also still available to all to view and can be accessed by clicking here.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2002, 09:58:59 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

observer

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2002, 10:10:42 pm »
Exactly my point...we all listened to the comments re tatty shop...did you refer everybody to the new owners then...no..you allowed them....I think youre too selective...to say that in my opinion a certain establishment makes me think of an oap home is just that...my opinion...if there's a legal problem with that then we must be living in china....you were wrong to alter my forum comment!!!! Therefore it isnt a forum, its a mouthpiece for what you deem correct!

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 12:23:47 am »
I think our Editor does a fantastic job, and is absolutely right to 'edit' comments that might run the site into trouble. He has an impeccable journalistic background with both national and international media and knows the score when it comes to defamation and libel. Anybody that feels differently, and thinks they know better, is perfectly free to set up their own site where they can say/do what they want - and see where it gets them. But don't bitch about the results of somebody else's hard work, commitment and professionalism!

observer

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2002, 10:36:06 am »
Thank you so much...I could not have hoped that my point would have been demonstrated so clearly!
You have used the words 'impeccable' and 'fantastic job',- if you had used these words in a reference you could be liable yet  my considered opinion re a local holstery should only result in them pulling up their socks to the benefit of us all. The editor has shown he is not consistent!. As regards his journalistic background, lets hear more, surely we should know more about this 'impeccable' and 'fantastic' person who seemingly thinks nothing of censoring and manipulating comments in B P Newsletter.

John_fraser

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2002, 10:04:53 pm »
I also had a derogatory comment about a local business censored. I stand by what I said, but I understood Daveís point on how it could have been construed to be even worse than I meant. If I had felt strongly enough to repeat the comment I would not have whinged on about it here.

If you donít like the rules of this forum post your comments on your own site, where you can take the risk of any legal action.

If you want to see Daveís CV, ask him for it, but post your own up first - we know not your name, sex or age!

If you canít see the rules are consistent, then I suggest you avoid reductio ad absurdum type arguments and grow up

Offline MC

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2002, 01:34:35 am »
It's Dave's site and at the end of the day he has the ability to determine what appears on it.

That said I also have issues with the scope and consistency of policy. Most of the threads are derogatory about someone or something at some point yet it is only certain topics that get edited or in some cases canned altogether.

It is a tough line to tread between risking too much or falling into excessive legal paranoia.

I have mixed views. On the one hand the site is great and a fabulous effort. On the other hand there have been some exremely relevant posts and threads that have been censored into extinction thereby denying the community the ability to discuss useful topics at all. I think that has been inappropriate on occasion but there's no point bitching about it because you can't change it. All you can do is recognise the forum for what it is.

Offline Largey

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2002, 02:16:38 am »
Before this thread is removed as it should, can I add an observation about "Observer" without any worries about legal action.
Below are two of your own quotes which you posted back in February when you joined this forum.

1) "I am sick of people trying to dismantle anything that has a shred of good for the community because of petty small mindedness."

2) "Stop whingeing and being obnoxious or move away!"

Can I suggest that you stick to your own ideals and leave the editing to the "Editor", it is his job. This forum has a warm community feel where people should feel comfortable with views expressed by all. Occassionaly comments need to be ammended so as not to offend. I am sure Dave has the majority in favour of his editing so lets leave it that way.

Astra

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2002, 03:10:51 pm »
Before this thread is deleted, I would like to make a comment here.

I have had some of my posts in the past edited or removed and although I was a bit miffed at the time, I can. in hindsight, see the logic used.

The problem with the majority of posts is that they are made when the individual is all riled up about something and just because they have 'put pen to paper' and aired their views does not usually cause them to calm down. †Then the post gets edited and off we all go again. †If we really thought about what we were writing in the first place and were aware of the laws regarding so called free speech, we would edit our own posts so as not to land ourselves in hot water. †But we don't.

You also mentioned the thread on the so called tatty shop. †This shop was empty at the time so no damage to business goodwill could be caused. †I also had someone reply to a post of mine and they mentioned where I live. †Fortunately this was edited very quickly.

Please, please be careful what you write. †The editor is looking out for you. †Just because you do not have any details logged on the system does not mean that you cannot be found if someone decides to sue you. †Big Brother is watching us constantly.

Astra
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 07:30:10 pm by Astra »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2002, 09:25:41 pm »
You're quite right, I thought I was anonymous until a fairly well known local person said "Hello Alfred" when he saw me. So now I have to be careful! Not that I would say anything bad, you understand, but there is a temptation to light the blue touch paper and stand well back   (now we're back onto fireworks......).

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline eric

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2002, 06:41:43 pm »
A WEEK ! of silence on this site ?!  
Hope that everbody hasn't been edited out of existence ?!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2002, 10:51:32 pm »
Dear Eric,
see transport below :)
regards,
jet

Tags: