Author Topic: Piccadilly Line and Brookmans Park Hotel  (Read 1752 times)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Piccadilly Line and Brookmans Park Hotel
« on: February 24, 2016, 01:57:46 pm »
I saw this link on the Streetlife forum and wasn't aware of this at all; does anyone have any more details? Apparently the Brookmans Park Hotel was originally built as the Piccadilly Line was meant to come to Brookmans Park:

The brewery was owned at that time by a limited company, Harris Brown Ltd. There were four directors: Mrs Harris Brown; Mr Leaney; Capt Dudley Moseley and Mr T Duncan. It was very much a family business - friendly and with great loyalty, both given and received from workers, management and customers. We owned 4 houses and 3 off licences. There was the Star Tavern at Barnet (now a shoe shop); the Victoria at North Hill, Highgate; the Bridge House at Potters Bar; and, later, we built the Brookman's Park Hotel - a large venture for us and not a very successful one, because the Underground did not, as we had hoped get extended beyond Cockfosters to Brookman's Park.

Taken from

http://newsletters.hadas.org.uk/volume-2---1975---1979/newsletter-104-october-1979

Is this in any way accurate?

James

James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
Re: Piccadilly Line and Brookmans Park Hotel
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 06:29:16 pm »
Hmmn...interesting but I do not think so.

According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccadilly_line_extension_to_Cockfosters the Piccadilly line was only ever intended to extend to Cockfosters, with the stations between Manor House and Cockfosters opening between 1932 and 1933.

The Brookmans Park Hotel was originally conceived as a much smaller establishment, but because of the fears of having nothing more than a common "beerhouse" in the local residents midst, the design was worked up to include a hall (for the benefit of local residents) to enable planning permission - not because of the Piccadilly Line (I wonder what they would have thought if they had known that the hall would end up as a restaurant?)

The BP Hotel was finally constructed in 1937 some four years after the opening of Cockfosters station. The GNR main line station had already opened at Brookmans Park in 1926 and it was this infrastructure that spurred on the development of Brookmans Park.

Image from North Mymms Ratepayers Association handbook c1948.

Tags: