Author Topic: Barking dogs  (Read 10717 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Barking dogs
« on: January 22, 2005, 10:08:50 am »
At about 4am a dog was barking somewhere towards the south of Brookmans Park. This is not unusual and fairly common. I put ear plugs in and went back to sleep. However, I could still hear barking from the same direction  (and it sounded like the same dog) two hours later when I got up.

We don't have a dog and so I don't understand the issue here, but it caused me to think (and worry) about the dog. Perhaps a dog owner could help here by explaining what they think is going on in the dog's head.

By the way, this is not a moan. Ear plugs work fine, the dog can't help it if I am a light sleeper, and we live in a community where people have dogs and gardens. But the incident made me think, because it is not the first time it has happened.

Would a dog be barking at that time of the mornng because.

1) It has been put out in the garden and wants to come back in.
2) It is happy and wants to compete with the blackbirds and robins in the morning chorus.
3) It is in distress.

If it is the first answer (It has been put out in the garden and wants to come back in), that raises further questions in my mind.

a) Why is the owner ignoring it?
b) Can the owner not hear it?
c) Does the owner not care about...
     * their dog
     * their neighbours.

If it is the second answer (It is happy and wanting to be part of the morning chorus) I wonder whether this is appropriate in a neighbourhood of such close housing.

If it is the third answer (It is in distress), what should be the correct course of action?

i) Phone the RSPCA
ii) Ring the neighbour or knock on their door to tell them their dog is barking and seems in distress.
iii) Ring the police.

Do any dog owners have any clues as to what might be going on in a dog's head when it barks repeatedly in the early hours of the morning.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Barking dogs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 01:53:56 pm »
The main reason for dogs barking is that they have been left home alone.
It is a statutory nuisance if it continues on a regular basis.
Action can usually only be taken if an animal is left alone for more than 24 hours.
The RSPCA can seal the front door, usually with a police witness, if the seal is unbroken for more than a day then a warrant for entry can be obtained to remove the dog.
The whole procedure is based on relieving the animals suffering more than the inconvenience to others.
If an animal is in obvious distress then the premises can be entered subject to the reality of the situation at that time.
This type of nuisance is quite common and in my experience the owners could not care less and will never believe that their animal has been barking.
Excuses such as " It barks to deter burglars enit" are usual.
One can allways call Mr Plod if one suspects that intruders are causing the dog to bark. This will annoy Plod who will have a quiet word if it continues.
regards,
jet

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 04:57:24 pm »
Hi David,

WHDC like all local authorities now have to employ a Dog Warden. The webpage for theirs is http://www.welhat.gov.uk/default.asp?step=4&pid=181 and at the bottom of the page it gives the dog warden contacts as 01707 357822, or by email n.higgs@welhat.gov.uk

(BTW:Relating to another thread on this forum the Dog Warden webpage also gives details of where owners can buy dog poop bags and pooper scoopers, including at Boookmans Park Post Offiice).  

supersonic

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 06:35:30 pm »
I rather think the dog is suffering from points 1 and 3, and the owners from both points of C.

Down my road there used to be a german shepherd and a jack russel who lived next door to each other.  Both sets of owners worked all day and left both dogs in small gardens to get really fustrated and bark at each other.

As I occasionally work from home, it used to drive me nuts.  Thankfully before any action was taken (probably illegally by me!!), the shephed owner moved!!

I would love a dog, but both me and my SO work most days of the week, being responisible we don't have a dog. I wouldn't dream of leaving a social pack animal for the best part of the day all by itself.  It's just cruel and neglectful and is just another part of the current 'I don't give a damn' socieity we now live in.

The RSPCA has it's hands tied over many animal issues by law.  Why doesn't the RSPCA has more rights like the New York animal officers?

Birch

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:11:57 pm »
Has anyone else been woken up during the small hours by the sound of a dog repeatedly barking. I have many times and most recently last night at about 5am. It sounds to be coming from Georges Wood or Calder Avenue area, but it is hard to tell. I consider this to be extremely anti-social and will have no hesitation in supporting the EHO with an order against the owners.

Offline saffie

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:13:55 pm »
We have exactly the same problem with dogs barking in Oaklands Avenue/Westland Gardens.  Sometimes this starts at 3am in the morning and goes on  till 5.30am.  The owners I understand have been asked nicely to do something about this a number of times and as yet have not.  I think it is disgusting and agree with you nightlondon you should call the EHO.
I would be interested to know how mnay other people in Oaklands Avenue and Westland Gardens are disturbed by this night after night???

Offline hawk

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:31:54 pm »
We used to live along The Great North Road where a dog was kept outside at night and consistently barked and howled off and on at really antisocial hours. The only way to stop this nuisance and selfish behaviour of the owners is to contact the EHO of Welwyn Hatfield Council who are extremely good and will threaten to prosecute the owners. This we found effective enough to silence the neighbours dog permanently because the council can have the dog removed and the owners fined quite heavily. Its worth a try.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 11:42:17 am »
I have had considerable amount of problems with barking dogs. The direct approach to the owners did nothing whatsoever. Involving the EHO has improved matters greatly.
Advise, do keep a log of times the dogs are barking before approaching the EHO, this is admissible evidence.
How very sad that owners have little consideration to neighbours

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 02:03:52 pm »
Hi all,

I'm posting in regard to complaints about a dog which is barking throughout the night, often almost constantly between the hours of midnight to 5am. It's difficult to pin down the exact location, but the nuisance noise might be coming from the Moffats Lane area, though this isn't by any means conclusive.

I'm keen to have a word with the owner who may be putting the dog out at night without realising that it's causing such a problem or if necessary to resolve the issue via Environmental Services/RSPCA.

My question is whether anyone else is hearing the barking?

No problem mentioning general locations (i.e. is it Moffats Lane) on the forum, but please don't quote actual addresses on the forum. If you do have more specific information then please email me at grant@shapps.com

Kind regards
Grant Shapps MP

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 01:55:02 am »
If an MP within earshot cannot locate a dog that is barking loud enough to be a nuisance and does not have any faith in the local government who have both dog wardens and environmental health to fall back on, what chance the rest of the great unwashed ( prize for longest sentance please?)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 07:20:13 pm »

the nuisance noise might be coming from the Moffats Lane area, though this isn't by any means conclusive.

I live at the village end of Moffats and I haven't heard barking at night.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 12:52:59 am »
I cannot recal anight when some dog or other was not being a nuisance. Then again I had rubish double glazing. Perhaps its the dogs of war haunting a politician?

Offline saffie

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 06:01:39 pm »
There are dogs in Oaklands Avenue that bark late at night and early in the morning.  Could it be these?

Offline Aloo

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 06:08:10 pm »
There are dogs in Peplins which yap all day and given the opportunity bark all night.   

Offline aqueous transmission

• liquid communication ... simple really
    • digitalblasphemy
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 05:46:46 pm »
The little yappy dog in question lives in Moffats Lane, unfortunately, is over the fence outside my bedroom window.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 06:06:02 pm by aqueous transmission »
'to obtain a bird's-eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze'

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 07:25:18 pm »
Don't hold your breat if you contact the dog wardens, in their eyes the little mongrels can do no harm.
Now theres something for grant to get his claws into :-)
He now knows who it is, he has the contacts and he has a personal interest, so lets see if he can help.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 10:46:33 pm »
 ;D

Repprt all dog noise to environmental health and you will get action- thay are very helpful.

Dogs who bark have inconsiderate owners, and it they who need to be sorted.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 12:57:58 am »
But they don't do anything!  All words no action.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 06:31:34 am »
I find soft, sponge ear plugs, the type they dish out on flights, work a treat.

David

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 09:36:24 pm »
 >:(Come on David, we should not accept blinking dogs barking! Never mind the plugs, sort the owners out, or get environmetal health on the case- it worked for me. Do you know, if dog(s) persistenly bark, and the owners have had several warnings, then as a last resort, the dog(s) will be "removed".

Sort the beggers out!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 07:27:06 am »

>:( Come on David, we should not accept blinking dogs barking! Never mind the plugs, sort the owners out, or get environmetal health on the case- it worked for me. Do you know, if dog(s) persistenly bark, and the owners have had several warnings, then as a last resort, the dog(s) will be "removed".

Sort the beggers out!

Hi Alex,

I was just suggesting the plugs as a way to get some sleep, not as the only solution.

:)

David

Offline Johnny Redd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 10:20:23 pm »
Whilst wholly sympathising and without seeming a smarty pants, as with many things in life the answer may lie in the question why?

Perhaps this thread could be merged with "Return of the Foxes"..................... 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 10:05:15 am »
Whilst wholly sympathising and without seeming a smarty pants, as with many things in life the answer may lie in the question why?

Perhaps this thread could be merged with "Return of the Foxes"..................... 

Not sure it's the same thing. Wouldn't a fox see off a yappy dog?

Offline Johnny Redd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 09:40:07 am »
Are they "barking" or "yapping"  ???

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 10:17:33 am »
Are they "barking" or "yapping"  ???

Hey at 4am even if they were just whimpering it would be bad.....
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Tags: