Author Topic: Hawkshead Road Car Boot Sale Field  (Read 139724 times)

Midnight

Re: Hawkshead Road Car Boot Sale Field
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2014, 01:37:58 am »
The summary details of this case say "THE IMPORT OF 2,900 cubic metres OF CLEAN INERT SOIL FOR AN AGRICULTURAL UPGRADE ...". 

However I've seen lorry loads of rubble being emptied onto the site.  How can that be "clean inert soil"?  Maybe it's just me and "inert soil" has a different connotation in the agricultural world that includes building rubble.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2014, 08:52:44 am »
I have merged this thread with two existing threads which refer to part of the land currently being worked on. Those threads were the Friday Grove thread and the 20-acre field thread. Earlier comments (for those who want to click through), and concerns expressed, might be relevant in terms of helping people understand the history of the area.

Incidentally, from an earlier post quoting documents on the site, I read that we are getting 2,900 cubic metres of 'clean, inert soil' dumped on the waterlogged field at Friday Grove for the development.

The picture (below) is of one cubic metre of concrete. I am told that a lorry can carry five of these cubic metres. Not sure if that is true, but if it is, does that mean there will be 580 lorry loads? Or 1,160 return trips?

Attribution - The cube was cast by the Laboratory of Construction Materials at EPF (the École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne),  and the picture is by Rama
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #242 on: March 25, 2014, 10:02:57 am »
The summary details of this case say "THE IMPORT OF 2,900 cubic metres OF CLEAN INERT SOIL FOR AN AGRICULTURAL UPGRADE ...". 

However I've seen lorry loads of rubble being emptied onto the site.  How can that be "clean inert soil"?  Maybe it's just me and "inert soil" has a different connotation in the agricultural world that includes building rubble.

I believe the landowner has had permission to install some hardcore to allow the vehicles to get on and move around the site otherwise they would sink into the mud. I also believe he is required to remove it when the work has been finished.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2014, 10:39:20 am »

I believe the landowner has had permission to install some hardcore to allow the vehicles to get on and move around the site otherwise they would sink into the mud. I also believe he is required to remove it when the work has been finished.

James

So that will be on top of the 2,900 cm of 'inert soil', I guess?  Any idea how much hardcore has been allowed - in cm and lorry loads?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2014, 10:57:41 am »

The usual popular measure is in units of "Olympic-sized swimming pools", I believe. Can anyone provide a conversion in the case under discussion please? By any measure, that 'dip' in the field sounds enormous.

Offline Albert Ross

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2014, 11:53:26 am »
An average tipper lorry carries around 15 cubic metres of topsoil so on that basis there will be 193 lorry loads.

Offline Conor

« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2014, 08:45:32 pm »
The work has nothing to do with any form of development or traveller site, should be finished by next week and will be reseeded.
The work has nothing to do with boot sales and was granted permission on appeal by a government appointed planning inspector.
What I can't understand is why I am amazed that so much nonsense has been posted about publicly available information and would like to know if anyone knows what can be done about it.

Motherchuck

I notice on the responses to the emerging core strategy that Neil Bedford has kindly offered the piece of land currently being levelled as a potential location for housing. See

http://consult.welhat.gov.uk/file/862244

On the grounds that are now saying that your sole reason for levelling the ground is to provide an area for free range chicken farming, can we presume that you will be writing to the council to inform them that this land is no longer available for potential development?

Conor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2014, 10:11:36 pm »
The work has nothing to do with any form of development or traveller site, should be finished by next week and will be reseeded.
The work has nothing to do with boot sales and was granted permission on appeal by a government appointed planning inspector.
What I can't understand is why I am amazed that so much nonsense has been posted about publicly available information and would like to know if anyone knows what can be done about it.

Motherchuck

I notice on the responses to the emerging core strategy that Neil Bedford has kindly offered the piece of land currently being levelled as a potential location for housing. See

http://consult.welhat.gov.uk/file/862244

On the grounds that are now saying that your sole reason for levelling the ground is to provide an area for free range chicken farming, can we presume that you will be writing to the council to inform them that this land is no longer available for potential development?

Conor

Hi Conor,

That document makes interesting reading. I have embedded it below so that people can read it here on the site without having to download. (I have blacked out the address of the developer)

David

<a href="http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/50329FridayGrove.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/50329FridayGrove.pdf</a>

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #248 on: March 28, 2014, 12:48:39 pm »
Neil Bedford was not the only local landowner to offer their land for development, most - if not all - did. For example the RVC had 4 sites in mind, one of which has been put forward by consultants on their behalf. These documents can also be seen on the WHBC website.

I was more surprised to learn that someone can propose a site for development, without even owning the land. A family member of mine who has a single storey house on a nice wide plot was staggered to receive a letter from WHBC advising that the land and property had been proposed to them for development! 

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2014, 11:30:07 am »
What has happened to the post from Parish Councillor James Bentall at 01:48:51 pm yesterday?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:55:48 am by David Brewer »

Offline mannyd

« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2014, 09:26:08 pm »
Motherchuck - I don't know where the post has gone, but James posts in a personal capacity - the fact that he is a parish councillor is not relevant to his views on here

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2014, 07:58:06 am »
What has happened to the post from Parish Councillor James Bentall at 01:48:51 pm yesterday?

Hi motherchuck, sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. I have removed a couple of posts in this thread and edited others. In all cases I have written to the correspondents explaining the reason for the actions taken.

David

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2014, 10:38:24 am »
Hi David, can you please advise the rest of us the reason for the removal of the post from Parish Councillor James Bentall and why it has also been removed from my post yesterday at 11:30:07am?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2014, 10:45:39 am »
Hi David, can you please advise the rest of us the reason for the removal of the post from Parish Councillor James Bentall and why it has also been removed from my post yesterday at 11:30:07am?

Hi motherchuck, our policy is to explain the reason for edits or the removal of posts to the correspondents who posted in the first place, rather than publicly in the forum. David

Offline Homebird

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #254 on: April 10, 2014, 09:45:53 am »
Does anybody have an update on what's happening re the work going on in this field?  As I work away from BP a lot and when I'm at home I commute from BP station rather than drive past here on a regular basis I'm a bit out of touch on the current situation.

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #255 on: April 10, 2014, 01:45:33 pm »
Does anybody have an update on what's happening re the work going on in this field?  As I work away from BP a lot and when I'm at home I commute from BP station rather than drive past here on a regular basis I'm a bit out of touch on the current situation.

I assume whatever work they were doing is now finished.

I drive past the site twice a day and yesterday morning I had to wait whilst an articulated lorry reversed into the field presumably to collect the heavy earth moving / digging machinery that was on site.

This morning there were no workers in evidence, the road is a lot cleaner now as well.

Offline Ex Libris

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Research
  • Boules (pétanque)
  • Teaching
« Reply #256 on: April 16, 2014, 01:36:10 pm »
The following may be of interest.

On 20 March 2014, the Planning Inspectorate issued a Decision Notice dismissing the landowner’s Appeal against Welwyn Hatfield Council’s refusal to grant a Certificate of Lawful Use or Development (LDC) for the erection of a barn on what appears to be the car boot sale site.

The original application to WHBC for an LDC for the erection of an agricultural building/barn can be found at
http://publicaccess.welhat.gov.uk/rpp/index.asp?caseref=S6/2010/3136/AG

The landowner was seeking to build the barn under Permitted Development Rights – See “Developing farmland: regulations on land use” - https://www.gov.uk/developing-farmland-regulations-on-land-use 

WHBC refused to grant an LDC because it was concluded that the proposal did not constitute Permitted Development.  Therefore planning permission was required, for which a full planning application would have to have been made to WHBC.

No planning application was submitted, instead the landowner chose to challenge WHBC’s original decision on Appeal.  See http://publicaccess.welhat.gov.uk/rpp/index.asp?caseref=S6/2013/0465/LUP

The Appeal Decision Notice can be found by clicking on the PDF icon to the left of “Appeal Decision” on the above link or at http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk/pcsportal/ViewCase.asp?caseid=2202085&coid=353

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #257 on: April 16, 2014, 03:07:14 pm »
Hi Ex Libris,

I have embedded the appeal decision below to save people having to click through to find it.

<a href="http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk/pcsportal/fscdav/READONLY?OBJ=COO.2036.300.12.6392930&amp;NAME=/DECISION.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk/pcsportal/fscdav/READONLY?OBJ=COO.2036.300.12.6392930&amp;NAME=/DECISION.pdf</a>

David

Offline Aqila

• Forum Member
« Reply #258 on: April 16, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »
Am I the only one confused here?  If  the appeal was refused, why has the work gone ahead?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:10:57 pm by Aqila »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:23 am »
Am I the only one confused here?  If  the appeal was refused, why has the work gone ahead?

J

Aren't they different appeals? One to deal with the waterlogged field and the other for buildings?

Tags: