Author Topic: Speed spin  (Read 12785 times)

AgentOrange

Re: Speed spin
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2004, 06:24:12 pm »
May be working on the top factors in accidents would be a more effective approach than dumb speed cameras!
The answer has to be better driver training and on going education - it might cost a little more, but it will retain one thing the police and the courts need more than anything - our support.

AgentOrange

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2004, 06:25:44 pm »
PS The EU costs us 1% of the UK government tax take and that is before our rebate.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2004, 06:42:53 pm »
PS The EU costs us 1% of the UK government tax take and that is before our rebate.

The EU has cost us our way of life, industry, assets,self determination etc. It has imposed costly legislation which has achieved nothing.
The title of this thread "SPIN" comes to mind.
1% is a heck of a lot of money!
regards,
jet

Offline trinity

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2004, 11:18:15 pm »

The answer has to be better driver training and on going education - it might cost a little more, but it will retain one thing the police and the courts need more than anything - our support.

I've always believed in periodic re-tests. And would support far more stingent bans and the like. The trouble is that they're just about impossible to enforce. Or at least, their enforcement leaks like the proverbial sieve, and will do so absent the sort of personal monitoring that no government could be trusted with.

Offline trinity

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2004, 11:19:33 pm »

Is that before or after the increases arising from the Brown kleptocracy ?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2004, 11:23:03 am »
Herts Co Co is claiming that a survey of public attitudes has revealed that speed cameras are "more popular than you thought". Click here to read the local authority's findings.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2004, 12:20:24 pm »
Having just had my 33 year clean driving licence ruined by being done at 63 mph on an open dual carriageway (60 mph) I tend to disagree.
Having read the latest paperwork that comes with the intention to prosecute I find that there in now no way out, no real right to fair trial and absolutely no recourse to ones so called human rights.
For instance the keeper is now responsible even if they were not driving.
Now my licence dissapears into the system for one month which means I cannot hire a vehicle or go abroad.
Fair? I don't think so.
regards,
jet

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2004, 03:42:37 pm »
jet

I may be wrong but I always thought that your speedo had to be accurate to within 10 % therefore you would not be done for speeding at 63 in a 60 limit as it was within the margin od error.

Can anyone comment on this ?

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2004, 01:36:27 am »
I would also like to warn readers that the lads are out in a white van with chevrons on the back, which they park on grass verges just where you might be speeding up, like the last bit of A414 going out of Hertford towards Hertingfordbury, or going up the Stanstead Road hill out of Hertford towards Foxholes. I think I was OK each time, but am awaiting the postie with dread....

Just to warn you, the camera pokes out of the back, and it looks just like a highway maintenance van parked on the verge until you get really close, in which case it's too late....

And no warning signs either (not that they should need them, but at least you know where a normal Gatso is likely to be, and can see the stripes in the road).

And they say that they are not doing it to raise money.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2004, 01:48:30 am »
Did you know that Herts Co Co publishes a list each week saying where the mobile cameras will be?  

Click here for the list.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2004, 01:53:56 am »
The law is absolute, simple as that. No reasons are allowed.
The annoying thing is that people speed through this village faster than I was going on an open road first thing in the morning.
A pal was done at 33 mph in a 30 mph area by a cop jumping out from behind a bush.
The real annoyance is the cruel and unusual punishment levied on me by not being able to hire a vehicle or drive abroard. Sure I can apply for a licence for a special reason but thats going to take paperwork, time and bull.
Will I drive any differently, of course not.
Another £60 to the cops at Stevenage who cannot cope with the ammount of fines they have to deal with.
The recent figures state that cameras save 100 lives per year, what bull, its the increase of survivability caused by vehicle design that does that. There are more accidents than ever.
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 12:35:52 pm by jet »

John_fraser

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2004, 12:10:43 pm »
Why are you complaining? You admit you were speeding and you appear to know what the limit was. Were you planning to hire a car or drive abroad? If so, then do the paperwork.

So your driving habits won’t change – typical boy racer.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2004, 12:35:01 pm »
Who was complaining? not me.
Just letting you have a laugh at my expense.
The point I am making is that there is no mitigation and no consideration for past record.
As I have said we have law in this country but no justice.
Sure I could fight it, sure I could ask for the daily certificate of accuracy required for the camera, but the truth is that this would cost more than the fine. Also they state that any such disclosure is retained by the police to aid the prosecution case and is not available for the plaintif.
In the old days a warning worked wonders, a fine just breeds contempt.
This is one of the reasons why I decided not to be a magistrate. There is no justice available under current guidlines, if you are poor you get done. Rich you can get your brief to tie em up in knots.
JF I hire vans regularly for my business. Yes I was planing a trip abroad to aid my migration from this fascist state.
regards,
jet

Tags: