Author Topic: Horses in the Leach Fields  (Read 9606 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Horses in the Leach Fields
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:42:26 pm »
If anyone knows who owns the horses in the middle field (into the footpath through the main entrance on Bluebridge Road and then straight up), could you please let the owners know that the horses were standing round an empty water tank at about 6.30pm.

They may well have other water tanks on site somewhere, but I thought I ought to say something just in case they don't.

Offline larrylamb

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Horses in the Leach Fields
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:53:56 pm »
If anyone knows who owns the horses in the middle field (into the footpath through the main entrance on Bluebridge Road and then straight up), could you please let the owners know that the horses were standing round an empty water tank at about 6.30pm.

They may well have other water tanks on site somewhere, but I thought I ought to say something just in case they don't.
why not take some water up there if you are concerned, no one will criticise you for doing the right thing.

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:57:45 pm »

why not take some water up there if you are concerned, no one will criticise you for doing the right thing.

Seconded.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:27:30 pm »
The last two comments are tantamount to trolling. Please don't. This site has a policy for this. Mermaid did the right thing to appeal to forum users who might know the owners in order to alert them. She is a lover of Leach Fields and of animals, and she will have done all she can to help the horses, but she will not be in the position to carry sufficient water to meet their needs. This site encourages public-spirited contributions and discourages trolling.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 11:15:56 pm »
The last two comments are tantamount to trolling. Please don't. This site has a policy for this. Mermaid did the right thing to appeal to forum users who might know the owners in order to alert them. She is a lover of Leach Fields and of animals, and she will have done all she can to help the horses, but she will not be in the position to carry sufficient water to meet their needs. This site encourages public-spirited contributions and discourages trolling.
David put aside your precipitous preconceptions and prejudices and then read what i have wrote.
the point of Mermaids post was concerning the welfare of the animals, my response was objective thats all.

perhaps in hindsight, and in the interests of the animal, maybe a call to the RSPCA would be wise?

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:24:08 pm »
Dave is right, I couldn't possibly carry the amount of water that is needed to fill the water tank and 2 watering cans full wouldn't even have covered the bottom. I would have used the hoses laying in the undergrowth nearby but I couldn't find the stopcock/tap which would supply the water as the hose disappeared through a fence. I assume that the owners have an arrangement with one of the properties nearby as Leach Fields are not on the mains!!!

The horses are in good condition and may have water elsewhere in the field. There is no criticism of the owner(s) intended, see previous sentence and I will go over tomorrow to take another look.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:48:54 pm by Mermaid »

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 07:10:38 am »
Dave is right, I couldn't possibly carry the amount of water that is needed to fill the water tank and 2 watering cans full wouldn't even have covered the bottom. I would have used the hoses laying in the undergrowth nearby but I couldn't find the stopcock/tap which would supply the water as the hose disappeared through a fence. I assume that the owners have an arrangement with one of the properties nearby as Leach Fields are not on the mains!!!

The horses are in good condition and may have water elsewhere in the field. There is no criticism of the owner(s) intended, see previous sentence and I will go over tomorrow to take another look.
My expectation wasnt that you should fill the tanks!! just envisaged one trip with two buckets of fresh water.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 08:46:09 am »

I think the owners use this forum, as do people who know them. We met them once during a walk and they seemed lovely people who told us that many of the horses had been rescued, so I am sure they will be grateful that others are taking such a close interest in the animals.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:35:37 am »
I did go over earlier to check and the water tank is full   :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:39:19 am »
I did go over earlier to check and the water tank is full   :)

Good news, thanks for the update Mermaid.

Offline Therock

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 07:22:58 pm »
Maybe the Vet said that it was NIL BY MOUTH ????????

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:25 am »
These are the ones in the far field as one walks in a straight line from the entrance on Bluebridge Road.

If the owners/carers are forum members, please contact me. If not, can anyone who knows them, please contact me.

Many thanks.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 01:55:45 pm »
Sent PM

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 08:56:54 am »
Police are investigating who was responsible for letting horses and foals out of their field near Gobions. The animals were found wandering round the local footpaths on Saturday morning, August 2. Officers say they are trying to establish whether the indecent was related to a report of youths spotted in Gobions the previous night. Police are keen to hear from anyone who has any information. You can contact the local community police officer on 01707 354192, or email William (dot) mccaskie (at) herts (dot) pnn (dot) police (dot) uk.  I have shared the info on our Twitter account.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 07:27:43 pm »
Just finished a walk in Gobions. At least 3 gates are standing open in Leach Fields and there are three horses running free in the big field bounded by the lake and the woods (I call it the 'buttercup field'). As far as I know, there shouldn't be livestock there and I'm a bit concerned for their safety. Anyone know anything about it or know the owners?

LBN01

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 01:25:11 am »
Yes, I called these in to 101 (on the advice of a police officer) about two hours before you posted as we were similarly concerned for their welfare. I hope they are OK.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 07:34:55 pm »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 06:57:53 am »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 06:34:59 am »
More from our Facebook page...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 11:00:16 am »

Offline Webman

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
    • Webmech
Re: Horses in the Leach Fields - dead horse found
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:06 am »
A dog walker found one of the horses this morning. It was clearly very ill when it died and will probably pose a health risk to the others/local wildlife. If you know the owner then please inform them. The police and RVC have been notified.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 09:52:41 pm »
A screen grab of the discussion over on our Facebook page as of 21:50 on Wednesday night.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 07:28:56 am »
More information on our Facebook page.

Tags: