Poll

Should the 30mph Speed Limit be reduced to 20mph in Brookmans Park area

No
16 (59.3%)
Yes
11 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Introducing 20 mph speed limits in Brookmans Park  (Read 9891 times)

Offline larrylamb

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Introducing 20 mph speed limits in Brookmans Park
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 12:49:13 pm »
;D
Agreed "no Excuses" means go faster!!!

Alex
Wouldn't jest about using excessive speed, If you are unfortunate to be involved in a incident involving inappropriate speed, statements such as these can often come back and bite you on your backside.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 02:03:04 pm »
Wouldn't jest about using excessive speed, If you are unfortunate to be involved in a incident involving inappropriate speed, statements such as these can often come back and bite you on your backside.

I have no problem with the 20 mph speed limit. I think it's a great idea. But I think the signs could be more friendly and welcoming. I really don't like the current 'No Excuses', so I've bashed out a few alternatives for the GWR residents committee to consider at their next meeting.  I'd be happy with any of the three below. :)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 02:44:15 pm »
Actually think we don't need to be nice. 'Speed Kills' is actually the message. And before the trolls start, 'inappropriate' is obviously relevant in most cases. A residential private road with no footpath, yes 'no excuses' is indeed correct. I went to a funeral of a child who had been run over, (although in that incident speed wasn't the cause) and the memory of that child's coffin will live with me. With Chancellors nearby, there are no excuses and speeding there could indeed cost lives. Happy that sign stays the same.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 03:03:17 pm »
Waste of time

If people kept to the 30 limit it would be a big improvement - for example I always try and get a 'smiley-face' when driving past the speed detectors on Bluebridge Road and Station Road yet frequently I'll have some idiot driving about 6 inches away from my rear bumper who clearly wants to go much faster

There are no police for the most part to enforce anything so not convinced yet more signs are a deterrent

And it's not just youngsters in their chavved-up Corsas and the like, I frequently see big V8 Mercs and similar accelerating hard away from the village

The following users thanked this post: Editor, Red-Point

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 03:10:50 pm »
Actually think we don't need to be nice.

But Ferdie, what does the sign actually mean, and what message does it convey? I have been overtaken on GWR doing 20mph. Now that is dangerous on a road with no pavement. 'No excuses' suggests that when people are stopped action is taken. Is it? Who by? I have never seen traffic police on the road. Who is it that won't accept excuses? Better, in my view, to have a more friendly sign rather than an aggressive and unfriendly message. I think the middle of my three would be better 'Asking Nicely'.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 04:43:14 pm »
Speeding motorists will always have an excuse as to why they were using inappropriate speed, when there is seldom a valid reason. The "No excuses" signage is not new to GWR and is in place around Bucks and Beds, It is designed for impact and to try to get drivers to think about their actions.

In the absence of effective policing in dealing with the speeding in GWR we are simply doing all we can to mitigate.

Yes the signage might seem aggressive but so is a speeding vehicle on a residential road with no pathways.

David please dont be offended and look for negatives, put your sensitivities to one side and support and not undermine what we are trying to do, you may not agree with the wording fine, but please lets have support not diminution on this public forum.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 07:14:08 pm »
Yes the signage might seem aggressive but so is a speeding vehicle on a residential road with no pathways.

David please dont be offended and look for negatives, put your sensitivities to one side and support and not undermine what we are trying to do, you may not agree with the wording fine, but please lets have support not diminution on this public forum.

Larry, you have my support. I think 20 mph is fast enough on that road. I just don't like the tone of the wording that's all; and I am glad you agree that it's aggressive. But I am certainly not asking or campaigning for the 20 mph signs to be removed. Far from it. Leave them there, just consider my options for a more friendly tone.  :)

As for GWR having no pathways, people can walk along the verges and avoid walking on the road the entire length on both sides except for two spots, one on either side, where the verges have been cordoned off with bits of string and sticks, forcing people to step into the road.

Perhaps the residents committee should have words with whoever is responsible and ask them to remove them on safety grounds?

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 09:14:28 pm »

Larry, you have my support. I think 20 mph is fast enough on that road. I just don't like the tone of the wording that's all; and I am glad you agree that it's aggressive. But I am certainly not asking or campaigning for the 20 mph signs to be removed. Far from it. Leave them there, just consider my options for a more friendly tone.  :)

As for GWR having no pathways, people can walk along the verges and avoid walking on the road the entire length on both sides except for two spots, one on either side, where the verges have been cordoned off with bits of string and sticks, forcing people to step into the road.

Perhaps the residents committee should have words with whoever is responsible and ask them to remove them on safety grounds?
Unfortunately older pedestrians and users of wheel and pushchairs using the verges doesn't work for obvious reasons, yes on private property there are pieces of garden twine around some sticks but this does not force people to step into the road, if people need to step away from danger a piece of garden twine is no barrier. Some households have unmade drives, high kerbs and trees and bushes, I would imagine these are more likely to force people into the road than garden twine.

We have large signs on GWR stating that the roadway is shared with vehicles and pedestrians, I'm sorry if you haven't seen it, perhaps the signs should be more aggressive.

Offline wendypugh

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2017, 11:08:38 am »
Hi
I would support the 20 mile limit any where in the village, we have been passed in Bluebridge Road trying to keep a smiley face by cars not interested in slowing down.
Also Peplins Way by the school is another area which drivers need to be reminded, just because they have dropped off their children they go hell for leather to get away, I am surprised (but glad) there has been no accidents

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2017, 12:14:07 pm »
Hi, I would support the 20 mile limit any where in the village, we have been passed in Bluebridge Road trying to keep a smiley face by cars not interested in slowing down.

Agreed, I would support 20 mph on all roads in the village. I have also been overtaken several times in the 30 mph areas and doing 20 mph on GWR, so I guess that, whatever the speed limit, there will still be those prepared to overtake. And I just wonder whether overtaken a motorist observing the speed limit would increase if all village roads were 20 mph. And, if so, would that be an increased danger? I notice from the poll at the top that 64% of those who voted would not want a 20 mph limit.

Tags: