Author Topic: Interference with car remote locks  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Bluebottle

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
  • Posting since: 11/06/2004
Interference with car remote locks
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:53:12 pm »
I live in Swanley Bar.  In recent days, the remote locking key fobs for our vehicles have not been working when they are parked at home unless used close to the receivers on the cars; they work as normal elsewhere.  The same problem has been noted by a couple of our near neighbours.

Our gate and garage door openers have also been affected in a similar manner.  We have called out the gate opener engineer but, as the senders and receivers seem to be functioning correctly, he does not understand what is happening but believes that there is some localised interference.

Have any other people noticed the same or similar problems in Swanley Bar or any other areas?  Can anyone explain what might be happening?

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
  • Posting since: 12/12/2010
Re: Interference with car remote locks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:32:16 am »
I'm afraid, I've no idea what is the cause of the problem.

However, it reminded me of an article I just read:

"Researcher Barnaby Jack at security firm McAfee has shown that this open communication poses risks. In just two weeks of work, Mr Jack found the radio signal used by an well-known insulin pump and discovered how to hijack them to compromise the device. The result is an attack tool that could scan a crowd for people fitted with pumps and then transmit a signal that told any implant to dump its entire cartridge of insulin into its host's bloodstream."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17631838

Offline Jacqui

• Forum Member
  • Posting since: 30/08/2005
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:35:38 pm »
We've always had a problem with remote car locking when parked at the Dutch Nursery.  I assumed it was the BBC masts.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Posting since: 31/01/2002
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:43:46 pm »
Have any other people noticed the same or similar problems in Swanley Bar or any other areas?  Can anyone explain what might be happening?

We have lived in Swanley Bar Lane since 1986 and never had any problem with remote car locks.  Our radio was affected by interference causing the DAB signal to disappear at the same time as a VHF signal had buzzing.  It stopped when a neighbour had a new central heating boiler fitted.  Co-incidence?  I doubt it.  You could ask the transmitting station if they could send someone round to investigate your problem.

We did have interference on the telephone line particularly when I had my computer in the back bedroom.  The telephone wiring upstairs acted as an aerial and picked up an asian music station broadcasting from the former BBC transmitting station.  These transmissions have been blamed for lots of strange things like headaches, illnesses, and music from radiators.  The RVC insulated certain buildings to stop equipment being affected by radio waves.

Offline jmj

• Forum Member
  • Posting since: 30/10/2011
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 09:44:24 am »
Perhaps a neighbour has (incorrectly) fitted a wireless burglar alarm? This was the problem for someone I know and prevented the remote locking on nearby cars until it was fixed.

Tags: