Author Topic: Recycling household waste  (Read 56699 times)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Recycling household waste
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 10:35:08 am »
Although I used HP as an example, it seems most laser printers use a combined drum / toner combination. Therefore if buying a new toner cartridge you are also getting a new drum, wiper, roller etc as well as new toner, so it is likely that quality will be better with a new cartridge.

Possibly a cartridge could be refilled once or twice without detriment to quality, however it's unlikely that you can carry on indefinitely as the drum and other components are obviously designed only to last the life of the toner.

Also some makes (not sure which) have some sort of electronics in them to record usage to force you to replace toner, even if not really necessary. Obviously there really can't be much profit for manufacturers to produce laser printers retailing at £170, they probably make their profits from the consumables instead.

Unfortunately, running costs are high for all colour printers. Certainly it is cheaper to get photos printed at somewhere like Asda than try and print them at home.

Inkjets are always expensive for high volumes, although the best bet for occasional use.

For a recommendation I'd recommend looking at the 'A' list at www.pcpro.co.uk. PCPro is a well respected magazine who review all sorts of computer products on a proper scientific basis (ie proper tests and facts and figures, not just this printer looks really cool). I have most of the recent back issues so if you need help let me know and I'll find a recent issue with a group test.

Offline barnabus

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 03:38:58 pm »
Thank you that is very helpful - pcpro had a review of the OKI 3200 and it seemed reasonable. Our home use is not very great so I would hope the toner would last us a very long time and then we could replace them one at time spreading the cost. I have got a bit fed up with the old inkjet as my exisitng one (epsom stylus c60) has a blocked jet on the red colour way and i have tried unblocking theses things previously and ended up wrecking the machine (good for keeping ones cool and prayer life!).

KR

Barnabus

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 08:51:46 pm »
I am very pleased to hear about this but as usual wonder whether the cost of fuel driving to the drop off points (in terms of pollution, raw materials, etc) would be more than the amount saved in recycling the plastic.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 09:20:59 pm »
Given the low weight and high volume of plastic I doubt that recycling will save much, if any, energy.

I believe that is the main reason why the council has not wanted to recycle it until now.

The main benefit will be reduced landfill - so still worthwhile.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2006, 12:55:55 pm »
I use a Brother HL2030 laser printer.  A new compatible cartridge cost £30 (internet, postage free) and it will cost £26 to refill at a Potters Bar shop.  I found out today that the originally fitted cartridge was a 'starter' which cannot be refilled.  Blooming cheeky!  All that was missing was the reset switch that is on replacement cartridges.

The cartridge and drum are separate so it is cheaper than replacing both at the same time.

I use it mainly for letters, meeting agendas and minutes for the Green Belt Soc etc.  Not enough for a proper office machine, but it is cheaper than an inkjet.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2006, 01:01:48 pm »

Anyone who would like to recycle plastic containers and bottles before December can take them to Cranborne in Potters Bar. They also take domestic appliances, newspapers, glass bottles, metal, cardboard, wood, garden waste, textiles and shoes.

Happy recycling   :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2007, 08:52:06 pm »

The council says we are rubbish at recycling and need to do more in order reduce the amount of waste we produce. Apparently, we only recycle 35% of our rubbish and it's not enough. The landfill sites are filling up and options are running out. A consultation has been set up to find solutions. Everyone is invited to take part. More details...
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

LongTallSally

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2007, 08:58:16 am »
Perhaps the council should stop whinging at us and improve their collections.

1. Why can't cardboard be put in the garden waste bin, after all that's what they do in Potters Bar.
2. Why can't the coucnil take plastic bottles, after all that's what they do in Potters Bar.
3. ...And tin cans...after all, thats what they do in Potters Bar.
4. ..and kitchen waste?

At present, all the above items which I am unable to put in my council recycling bins, I take either to collections at supermarkets or to relatives in Potters Bar (who give me there glass bottles in return.)

Research has shown, people will recycle more if they are given the means to do so. We have had no additional collections for a considerable time and can still only recycle glass bottles, paper and garden waste for collection by the council.

If the council are serious about reducing landfill and encouraging more recycling then they should look at the methods of successful countries. Austria, for example allows residents to recycle many more items, which are put in a collection of supplied bins and collected EVERY DAY. Not the naff two weeks here.

John_fraser

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2007, 09:34:26 am »
Although garden waste counts in the council's figures for recycling, much of it is not really recycling. Prior to collection many people used to burn the waste or compost it themselves. Whist burning the stuff was unpleasant for everyone,  it was 'carbon neutral', did not use land fill and long term did not place any more carbon in the air than composting did. In fact it may have generated less, as the lorry burns petrol to pick the stuff up.

I'm glad they collect the stuff and have reduced the number of fires, but the recycling figures are even worse than the council claims.

P.S.

LTS - well said.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2007, 10:36:32 am »

Yes LTS, well said indeed. In particular, I'm still bemused as to why we're not allowed to put vegetable peelings into the brown bins with the garden waste when I'm told they they can in Potters Bar.

But perhaps there is a price to pay for the additional recycling in PB, do they not only have a refuse collection every 2 weeks now instead of weekly?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2007, 01:53:19 pm »
I believe some councils (St Albans possibly) recycle a wider range of items but operate differently in that all recycleable rubbish is put in one container.

A problem for the household is that if waste has to be stored in many different containers it becomes difficult to find room for all the different containers. We're lucky in BP in that most of us live in houses where finding space isn't a big problem, however it can be a major obstacle to recycling for flats and small houses.

In this scenario, obviously facilities have to exist for sorting the waste after collection by the council but a lot of this can be automated.

I think as LTS has demonstrated so well with her example of swapping glass for plastic, the problem is that local government needs to act together. Even at a county level would be better than each council doing their own thing, it is ridiculous that Hertsmere, WH and St Albans are all in Herts yet have quite different policies.

Recycling is a global issue and needs at the very least to be organised on a national or even county level.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2007, 08:04:36 pm »
Agreed, not something where we should be so different from Potters Bar. ???

Offline Abbot

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2007, 04:12:27 pm »
I see a lot of Brown wheelie bins out, and Christmas Trees. My schedule says there isn't a collection until the 29th. Do others know more????

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2007, 04:34:06 pm »

I'm on the 'lemon' round and our calendar has no collection from brown wheelies till 29th Jan, then two-weekly thereafter.

If anyone wants to get rid of their Xmas trees sooner, they are being accepted for recycling at Cranborne.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2007, 06:25:45 pm »
I have been told that living in the village centre we cannot have bins since they will be vandalised.  Having just come back from California, Auckland and Sydney, I can assure the council that given the opportunity and facilities most people would recycle most of their rubbish, as locals manage to do in every city I visited!

WHC, sort it out please!

A

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2007, 06:35:19 pm »

Who told you that you couldn't have bins in the village centre because they might be vandalised? I'm quite shocked by that!

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2007, 06:37:59 pm »
hi mermaid,

I rang and was told that because our bins are central downstairs they couldn't leave recycling bins, and couldn't carry them down to the bin lorry from the terrance out the back of our flat.  When I said I was happy to carry the bins down myself the morning of the collection, I was told that this would constitute a risk to me and that WHC could be liable.

A

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2007, 09:16:08 pm »

Well. that's certainly an interesting point of view from WHDC. What a cheek!

But have they thought about those of us who are required on a weekly basis to heave the usual refuse bins from the back of our properties round to the front boundary so as not to inconvenience the bin men unduly on their merry round. Might that not constitute a risk also?

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2007, 09:53:06 pm »

Well. that's certainly an interesting point of view from WHDC. What a cheek!

But have they thought about those of us who are required on a weekly basis to heave the usual refuse bins from the back of our properties round to the front boundary so as not to inconvenience the bin men unduly on their merry round. Might that not constitute a risk also?
.... and no doubt the council tax will be going up again in April  ???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 09:25:51 pm »
Plastic bottle recycling banks are being set up around Welwyn Hatfield in an attempt to cut down on landfill and save the environment. Click here for more details.

But the council will only accept certain types...

Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline francis

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2007, 10:07:01 am »
shame the picture of bottles (for recycling ?) didn't show them with the caps OFF ? 
If caps are left on, bottles tend towards space-greedy recycling of air:   since the crushers/ compactors don't always succeed in "exploding" them ...
just a thought !

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2007, 10:48:27 am »
shame the picture of bottles (for recycling ?) didn't show them with the caps OFF ? 
If caps are left on, bottles tend towards space-greedy recycling of air:   since the crushers/ compactors don't always succeed in "exploding" them ...
just a thought !

Is this better...

:)

David

Offline Bobb

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 09:22:54 am »
Monday was bottle and paper recycling collection day so I dutifully seperated and put my recycling out at about 6am (so it wasn't out overnight). Of course the bin-men didn't turn up to collect so it sat out there till Tuesday but that's another story.

When I moved to BP we had a green Paper bin only. It took me 9 months and over 50 letters/emails/phone calls (seriously I am not exagerating) to get garden waste bin.

Pushing my luck I then asked for a red bottle bin, 4 months later I got a green paper one delviered - I spoke to the council who told me just seperate your recycling and it will be collected from the 2 green bins I have.

Can you see what's coming...

Did the bin-men take my glass recycling like they have done for the past year and a bit.

No - it's in the wrong colour bin - silly me!

All other glass recycling was collected but mine, even though it is beautifully seperated (and washed) wasn't - because it's in the wrong colour bin.

"Committed to recycling..." - my a***

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 02:45:28 pm »
Have you thought about raising this with your Welwyn Hatfield Councillors?  I feel certain you can contact them through www.welhat.gov.uk.  They are Stephen Boulton, John Dean and Irene Dean if you live in Brookmans Park and Little Heath. 

Offline flw67

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2007, 09:23:30 am »
You did well to get a recycling bin at all.  When we moved here and asked for recycling bins, were told we would have to pick them up ourselves, which we did.  If you still want one I suggest next time you are in Welwyn pick one up yourself, otherwise you could be waiting a long time.

Offline Bobb

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2007, 09:37:05 am »
I'd like to thank Mrs Snapps and the council for all there help with this problem. I am now the owner of a red glass recycle bin and will continue to recycle as much as possible (though I am supposed to be cutting down on the wine!)

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2007, 11:04:31 pm »
I am now the owner of a red glass recycle bin and will continue to recycle as much as possible (though I am supposed to be cutting down on the wine!)

Just think of it that the more you drink, the more you can recycle and therefore do your bit for the planet! :icon_jokercolor:

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2007, 08:43:46 am »
red glass recycle bin

Wow - mine is plastic ;D
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

John_fraser

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2008, 04:17:08 pm »
Just seen this on the Council Site (click here)

From the 16 June, the red recycling containers will be for glass and cans. If you have a red recycling box, we will collect your cans in this along with the glass. If you live in a flat and have a mini-recycling centre we will collect cans in the red glass wheelie bin.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2008, 05:44:28 pm »
The council will be delivering an updated Recycling Card in due course

Tags: