Author Topic: Ask The Archivist  (Read 8893 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Ask The Archivist
« on: February 18, 2004, 12:44:12 pm »
A new feature is being added to this site, designed to help people discover more about the area's history.

'Ask The Archivist', is your chance to have an expert rummage through almost a thousand articles, photographs, pamphlets, and books charting the history of the parish of North Mymms.

So, if there is anything you want to know about the parish add the request to this thread and it will be passed on to the North Mymms Local History Society's archivist Marian Benton, and she has agreed to see what she can dig out. If we can obtain permission to reproduce the item online it will be added to this site’s history section.

Please use this thread for all requests for information.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 12:55:39 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
Re: Ask The Archivist
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 11:36:06 pm »
Well, to be totally selfish, are there any photos of the houses on GNR being built? ;)

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 11:51:05 pm »
I will ask Marian tomorrow.  If anyone else has any pictures for ATG please post below.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 10:48:23 am »
Also selfishly I would like some photos of the old village center - apparently where I live used to be a field and I'd be interested to see what it looked like circa 1940-50.

Apologies Dave, since these are probably around the site already and I just haven't bothered looking hard enough.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 11:09:27 am »
Hi Aidan,

Have a click around the North Mymms Pictures from the Past feature, particularly the page on Brookmans Park.

I know the North Mymms Local History Society has loads of pictures, enough for another volume of photographs, I will check if they are going to publish another edition.

You might also enjoy the Brookmans Park shops feature. Although they were only taken ten years ago there are quite a few changes.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 02:49:27 pm »
are there any photos of the houses on GNR being built?

Marian Benton had a look through the archives, but so far has been unable to find pictures of the houses being built. She came up with two brochures, one from 1926 and the other from 1933, both showing houses in Brookmans Park and the Great North Road up for auction. There was a picture of Lot 21. on the GNR (below), and details of the house click here to read the description from the brochure. They even had a toilet for the servants.

There is also a feature on the site about the efforts made in 1926 to attract people to Brookmans Park when the estate was being sold as 'Quiet and Unspoilt Brookmans Park'. Click here to read that feature.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 02:50:57 pm by admin »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 10:55:30 pm »
Thanks for the picture and description, Dave, I think I know which one it is so will let the neighbours know!

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 10:57:34 pm »
What's worse is that in 1933, according to the brochure, the asking price was between £1,250 and £2,500.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 10:58:22 pm by admin »

Offline Suzanne111

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 11:41:55 pm »
Are there any old photos of Bell Bar? Also is it possible to find out the way the enumerator went around the parish as my family are two entries before the White Swan Inn in 1861.
Also, are there any mention of the Peck or Ransom family in Bell Bar in any local records apart from the birth registers which I already have, thank you.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Suzanne

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 08:54:37 am »
Hi,

I presume you have already seen the pictures on the site. There are a couple of images of Bell Bar on the pages listed below. They include the Swan, which you mention in your other post.

I will pass on both your messages to the North Mymms Local History Society archivist to see if any more information can be found and e-mail you directly with the information if she comes up with anything.

Offline Suzanne111

• Forum Member
Re: Ask The Archivist - thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 08:47:55 pm »
After posting my request, I spent an amazing evening reading the history on the site. It was great to read about my family in several of the items and to see photos of Bell Bar.
Next time I visit my family in Herts, I will be going via Bell Bar now I know where the Peck home was located (no doubt it has been demolished).
Thanks for passing on the info to the archivist - any snippets would be great.
Many thanks
Suzanne

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 03:24:24 pm »
Suzanne,

Marian at the NMLHS has found five old pictures of Bell Bar. I have put them up on this site's photogallery. Click here to see them.

When you reach the page click on the thumbnail to reveal a larger image and click again on that image to reveal a full-size picture. We will add dates later if we can find them.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 07:36:11 pm »
I would be interested to see if there is any info on a Pittam family in the area in the past. Apart from an old gravestone in St Mary's Church which mentions Pittam, I haven't found any other trace. I am interested because Pittam is fairly unusual (and unrelated to Pittman) and may give me a lead on another branch of my parents' family which I am currently trying to research.

Thanks Dave, another great idea!   :-*

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 07:43:51 pm »
Hi Mermaid,

I will pass on your request to Marian. Although she is not online herself, she wanted everyone to know about this site, The Hertfordshire Family History Society.

They offer a search facility through all their records for a small fee. Marian will, I am sure, dig through all her references, but it might be worth checking with the site above too.

Marian also says the Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies is a good place to look too.

You will probably have seen the reference to Miss Pittam in this feature on the site.

Offline Suzanne111

• Forum Member
Re: Ask The Archivist - Bell Bar
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2004, 11:32:39 pm »
Thank you so much! It was good to compare how the village used to look like and what it's like in recent years. Seeing these & reading about how my family made their living from straw plaiting is a welcome change from just collecting the usual bare facts of birth dates etc. All the women on that side of the family are adept at craftwork (myself included!) so I'm wondering if it's come via the Bell Bar gene pool  ;D
Would any of you know what the taller brick building is in both pictures of the lane with houses? In the 1980s pic, it is uphill from the white-painted house.
In one of the pieces written about the Census, it mentions about a young gentleman who was "probably visiting one of the Peck daughters". He indded was. The man in question was my gt-gt grandfather-to-be, Edward Ransome, visiting Sarah's family.
Many thanks again for a great site and thanks for your help.
Suzanne

Offline Suzanne111

• Forum Member
Re: Ask The Archivist - Pittam
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 12:04:55 am »
I've had a look through the 1881 Census on the Mormon's site and the only Pittam's in the area at that time were:
Pancake Hall, N Mimms, Hertford
Martha Pittam Head of family b. 1827 54 yrs Widowed Laundress born Ireland
Elizabeth Pittam Daughter b.1854 27 yrs Unmarried Laundress born Malta
William Pittam Son b. 1857 24 yrs Unmarried Footman Domestic Servant born Ireland.

I also did a general search for the surname on the same site and the only mentions of the exact spelling of the Pittam name in Herts were in Redbourn, Shenley and St Albans.

I hope this is of help
Suzanne

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2004, 03:44:10 pm »
Thanks very much to Dave and Suzanne 111, those are very interesting leads!!  :)

DavidLongstaff

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 12:37:50 am »
Has anyone information listing graves in Welham Green?
I am trying to trace my LONGSTAFF ancestors 1800 onwards.
I would like to hear from anyone researching LONGSTAFF
from this area.

Offline john

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2004, 11:51:10 am »
I am trying to check-out a reference to a fieldname circa 1804   -   "Rushmead"   -   and where it was.

I have found conflicting references (Tithe etc) to its location within a two mile radius of Brookmans Park, so I'm wondering if you could very kindly give me your opinion ("blind", so to speak) ?     We can then see where the consensus falls

Many thanks  -   j

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 05:50:07 pm »
Does anyone know exactly when my office was erected and where? I have a copy of a map used at a land auction for "Land and Recidences in Brookmans Park" The auction ws held at |The Red Lion Hotel Barnet on Saturday April 22nd 1933 at 3.30pm. This map shows my office as bieng in the pub car park!
Was it ever there or was it a misprint?
If anyone would like to see this interesting map, call into my office any afternoon.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2004, 03:41:17 pm »
the history of Brookmans Park book on this website contains a 1926 map of the village with an Estate Office onBradmore Green.

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2004, 02:59:27 pm »
Well that is most interesting as this map shows my office as being located on the south side of Brookmans Avenue.
So now there are 3 possible locations or perhaps it has never been anywhere other than its present location and the maps are a tad vague!
Any more ideas?
Incidentally, my map shows 2 other Estate Offices, one being in Mymms Drive and the other at the north end of Upland Drive.
Thank you for your assistance.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 05:51:02 pm by WINDSORS »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2004, 07:21:09 pm »
This feature is being locked for the time being. It will be unlocked if the North Mymms Local History Society manages to find a volunteer archivist. For more details click here.

Tags: