Author Topic: New shop in village  (Read 18553 times)

John_fraser

Re: New shop in village
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2010, 01:10:20 pm »
Kevin,

Please can you not post in caps. It is considered to be shouting and is poor etiquette. Many people find it difficult to read.

John

Offline kevin

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2010, 01:41:51 pm »
Kevin,

Please can you not post in caps. It is considered to be shouting and is poor etiquette. Many people find it difficult to read.

John

Sorry John,  I didnt mean to shout, I am  just trying to get my thoughts across  to certain people !
Thats all. :)

Offline Susan

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2010, 03:05:36 pm »
I've come to the conclusion that Kevin is PS's alter ego. They must tie for the most objectionable ways of expressing their views - at least PS was talking about the shop, and not people's mental health issues.

So thank you to him/them for keeping me entertained over lunch Ė I've been spluttering into my sandwiches.  ;D

I don't know about the internet, but I take the children to the supermarket (trainers) or Galleria (bargain school shoes).  ;) Unless you get made-to-measure, or have some issue with your children's feet, Iíve not noticed the difference. But that's me, and we're all different.

Hopefully, they'll be enough customers to make the shop a success.

Offline PS

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2010, 03:59:57 pm »
Unless you get made-to-measure, or have some issue with your children's feet, Iíve not noticed the difference. But that's me, and we're all different.

Thank you Susan - at least we are getting somewhere.

And for Kevins question - yes I have children, but not grandchildren. And like Susan has said based on her own experience, they have NEVER had fitted shoes - unless they have issues. Many of my childrens friends, and friends children too have never had fitted shoes. And in fact, nor did I.

And guess what Kevin - its not harmed them in any way, nor has it ever did for me. [in fact many women's shoes are harming them far worse due to tight fit, high heels etc than childrens shoes]

So- not EVERY child HAS to have fitted shoes. Hence the local BP market will not be able to support such a venture in the longer term.

Oh by the way, don't give up your day job yet - carry on practicing your Drs & Crs - you may qualify one day !!!!  ;D  LOL   

Offline markeric1

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2010, 05:25:34 pm »
I think most people that i know, if they can afford it, do take their kids to get fitted shoes. At least for the first few years that they wear shoes. They certainly wouldnt buy them from the internet.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2010, 09:15:35 pm »
I think most people that i know, if they can afford it, do take their kids to get fitted shoes. At least for the first few years that they wear shoes. They certainly wouldnt buy them from the internet.

Yes, my experience too, but as Susan said - everyone's different.

My children both had to have properly fitted shoes up until age 14. My son had feet which were unusually 'deep', as well as wide. This meant that we had to have proper fittings every term, with changes to all his footwear each time. My daughter had long, shallow and narrow feet, which again needed proper fitting every term, with changes to all her footwear. We wouldn't have got away with buying 'ad hoc' from TK Maxx, Tesco, the internet, or anywhere else for that matter. We used to have to choose between a trek to John Lewis and a trek to New Barnet (often both), then, thankfully, the shop opened up in Potters Bar and things became easier. It's a relief, now that they're in their teens, and their feet have hopefully stopped growing, that we can buy more ad hoc, but we still have to be careful.

All the families we know locally (and through NCT groups), have done the same - had their children's shoes fitted in-store for those all-important early years (and yes, bought them there), and then branched out a bit later on. So there's definitely a market there, hopefully it will be enough.

Good luck to the new shop!

John_fraser

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2010, 09:17:34 pm »
I have just removed a number of posts because they simply contain personal insults - plus one that was in reply to an insult. Please don't make insulting posts. This is not the place or the forum for them.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:21:34 pm by Mermaid »

Offline kevin

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2010, 10:02:38 pm »
I have just removed a number of posts because they simply contain personal insults - plus one that was in reply to an insult. Please don't make insulting posts. This is not the place or the forum for them.
They have been many insulting postings, from money laundering accusations to the need of a doctor  but I am ONLY  REPLYING to these insults.(Refer to last weeks postings.)I suppose certain people would rather see empty shops (boarded and graffiti)........in my opinion this would devalue BP!!!!!Why not support  your local shops??? NEW SHOPS =NEW JOBS

John_fraser

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2010, 10:10:53 pm »
Kevin,

I agree there have been many insulting postings. Verbal jousting is allowed and it can be robust at times, but this topic had crossed a line it was simply becoming a slanging match. This is not the place for that.

John

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2010, 10:18:15 pm »
Kevin, personally I loved the coffee shop and went in regularly. But if it's a shop you wouldn't use, then you won't go in it, will you, however much goodwill you have towards it?

Incidentally, before you all think I'm totally reckless about children's shoes, the shop in the Galleria that sells school shoes is a proper shoe-shop. :) It has ends of lines of Clarks, Hush Puppies and the like, so you get no choice about style, and no unusual fittings. But you do get good value shoes that fit if you're a standard fitting.

Offline PS

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2010, 08:32:34 am »
A lot of talk about how the new shop will work blah, blah etc.

However, I am yet to be convinced that it will - again, all I am reading is the "blind faith" approach - all the emotional reasons as to why they think it WILL succeed.

Is there ANYONE on the forum who can suggest a Quantitative Approach as to their reasoning why it will succeed? For example, how many shoes would the venture be expected to sell to cover known overheads : why they think that it will actually be used : and why people will buy if the price is higher than WGC [ie due to quantity discounts that the smaller business will not be able to take advantage off etc ?

Talk is one thing - what about some REAL analysis for a change ? Or are we simply going to 'walk the walk or talk the talk' on this one

Anyone ??? 

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2010, 09:14:04 am »
PS

I don't claim to be a businessman but simple logic would suggest that if the proprietors have already got a couple of successful ventures in Essex it is reasonable to assume that they have got a good idea of what they are taking on.

Many points have been raised, not least the internet, catchment area of clientele etc, but I think in an age where many high streets and shopping malls have exactly the same big name shops there may well be room for niche players like this in an affluent area such as BP.

I have three children and there always seems to be a need to buy at least one of them a pair of shoes / trainers / boots etc so there is always going to be a demand. Whether I will use it myself depends of course on their prices, range, service etc just like any other business and they will have to work hard to establish themselves.

So, PS, perhaps not the analytical, logical business plan you've asked for but I wouldn't write off a venture by an established business yet ! If it was a first venture by a novice businessman/woman then perhaps I would agree with you. If they already have established suppliers, procedures, staff who can work across multiple stores etc, increase their existing purchasing volumes for a better price etc maybe it can work and at a profit.

Offline kevin

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2010, 10:24:11 am »
Talk is one thing - what about some REAL analysis for a change ? Or are we simply going to 'walk the walk or talk the talk' on this one

Anyone ??? 

[/quote]
It seems ,its 'talk the talk' on this  topic for the past two weeks from you!  :mblah05: :mblah05: :mblah05: :mblah05:

Offline kevin

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2010, 10:29:49 am »
fair comment  Sasquartch!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:43:32 am by kevin »

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2010, 10:49:19 am »
I wonder if the proprietors of the new shop have viewed this site.   Certainly if it was my shop I would be having second thoughts, not because of PS' "wisdom" on the matter but because of the possibility of having to deal with such negativity.  Welcome to Brookmans Park!

PS, you dont know anything about this business.   Many businesses have opened (and shut) in Brookmans Park.   It is a risk people take and certainly without them we would have no shops so why dont you just keep your negative comments to yourself and let people get on with trying to make a living.

Offline kevin

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2010, 10:56:20 am »
Negativity from one person mainly......lets all stay home and live off  the Government  !

Offline Kate Jones

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2010, 05:28:06 pm »
I'm with Peppermint 100% on this one. Well said. I wish 'Vanilla' the best of luck for a prosperous year ahead and many more to come.

Offline PS

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2010, 05:35:25 pm »
'talk the talk'

Well Kevin, you have seen my ball park estimate of the number of shoes that need selling - what you have YOU contributed ? It seems all you have done is to say 'it will succeed'

As a 'fellow chartered accountant' [your words] - YOU have done nothing but talk the talk - how about YOU present the reason as to why it will succeed ? Or have you not reached the Business Modeling stage yet ???? ;D

Offline kevin

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2010, 06:41:25 pm »
PS.. I will  remind you again in 12 months time, as far as you are concerned everything its a failure!!!!!

I rest my case. ::)

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2010, 09:05:19 pm »
 ;D
All good stuff this better than watching soap- keep it up you guys!!

John_fraser

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2010, 10:20:17 pm »
I have just removed another post that is simply insulting.

John_fraser

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2010, 10:26:06 pm »
I'm with Peppermint 100% on this one. Well said. I wish 'Vanilla' the best of luck for a prosperous year ahead and many more to come.

I agree. It may fail or it may succeed for any number of reasons. It's hard work running a shop, but I'm glad some people do and I wish them well. Sadly it's easy to sneer at the efforts of others.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2010, 10:46:22 pm »
I think the debate may have run its course for the moment, so we will give the topic a rest for a while.

Tags: