Poll

Should the 30mph Speed Limit be reduced to 20mph in Brookmans Park area

No
15 (62.5%)
Yes
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: introducing 20 mph speed limits  (Read 8564 times)

larrylamb and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online larrylamb

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: introducing 20 mph speed limits
« Reply #30 on: Today at 12:49:13 pm »
;D
Agreed "no Excuses" means go faster!!!

Alex
Wouldn't jest about using excessive speed, If you are unfortunate to be involved in a incident involving inappropriate speed, statements such as these can often come back and bite you on your backside.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #31 on: Today at 02:03:04 pm »
Wouldn't jest about using excessive speed, If you are unfortunate to be involved in a incident involving inappropriate speed, statements such as these can often come back and bite you on your backside.

I have no problem with the 20 mph speed limit. I think it's a great idea. But I think the signs could be more friendly and welcoming. I really don't like the current 'No Excuses', so I've bashed out a few alternatives for the GWR residents committee to consider at their next meeting.  I'd be happy with any of the three below. :)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:44:15 pm »
Actually think we don't need to be nice. 'Speed Kills' is actually the message. And before the trolls start, 'inappropriate' is obviously relevant in most cases. A residential private road with no footpath, yes 'no excuses' is indeed correct. I went to a funeral of a child who had been run over, (although in that incident speed wasn't the cause) and the memory of that child's coffin will live with me. With Chancellors nearby, there are no excuses and speeding there could indeed cost lives. Happy that sign stays the same.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: Today at 03:03:17 pm »
Waste of time

If people kept to the 30 limit it would be a big improvement - for example I always try and get a 'smiley-face' when driving past the speed detectors on Bluebridge Road and Station Road yet frequently I'll have some idiot driving about 6 inches away from my rear bumper who clearly wants to go much faster

There are no police for the most part to enforce anything so not convinced yet more signs are a deterrent

And it's not just youngsters in their chavved-up Corsas and the like, I frequently see big V8 Mercs and similar accelerating hard away from the village

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #34 on: Today at 03:10:50 pm »
Actually think we don't need to be nice.

But Ferdie, what does the sign actually mean, and what message does it convey? I have been overtaken on GWR doing 20mph. Now that is dangerous on a road with no pavement. 'No excuses' suggests that when people are stopped action is taken. Is it? Who by? I have never seen traffic police on the road. Who is it that won't accept excuses? Better, in my view, to have a more friendly sign rather than an aggressive and unfriendly message. I think the middle of my three would be better 'Asking Nicely'.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: