Author Topic: Flats in Brookmans Park  (Read 83935 times)

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Re: Flats in Brookmans Park
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2004, 05:09:27 pm »
Briliant!  This is really good news!

Thank you Bob for letting us all know!

Aidan

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004, 05:24:26 pm »
Hi all,

It's great news that the original application has been withdrawn, but here's a word of caution.

Don't start cracking open the Champagne yet because another scaled down application will be made most likely before the end of this year.

It's my understanding that rather than amending the current application to take into account scale and sizing of the proposed property, which was most likely to see the plan rejected, the applicants have decided to withdraw and re-apply from scratch.

So a partial victory for those of use who signed the 445 petition, but it isn't over yet!

Grant Shapps

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2004, 06:24:46 pm »
On 14 October 2004 the planning application for six flats on 2 Georges Wood Road was withdrawn at the applicant's request.

This was the third application in about a year for 6 flats on this site, plus a revised design submitted in September for this third attempt.

Makes you wonder what will happen to the application for two blocks totalling 10 flats on 103 Georges Wood Road.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2004, 02:59:48 pm »
The application for 10 flats at 1-3 Georges Wood Road will be considered at Welwyn Hatfield's Planning Committee meeting on Thursday 21Oct, starting at 7.30pm at Campus West, WGC - in the council offices not theatre or roller rink! The meeting is open to the public.

The planning officers have recommended approval but the committee will make the final decision.  I will let you know the outcome.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2004, 11:55:53 pm »
This is awful, how come the planning officers are able to recommend approval? Has there not been as concerted an effort from local residents over 1 - 3 Georges Wood Road as there has been over number 2, or has it been ignored? It seems as if the developers are now adopting the cynical attitude of 'throw enough mud and some will stick' ie buy enough properties and put in enough planning applications for flats and the planning authorities will finally cave in.
Bob, is there anything else we can do at this eleventh hour?

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2004, 01:03:00 am »
I had the pleasure of visiting a Hick chalet bungalow in Potters Bar today, on professional business, and was mightily impressed with what I saw. BP residents who already live in one will already know that the main reception room is huuuuuuuuuuuge and the upstairs rooms are also well sized, which I was not expecting, having dormer windows, etc. But the main point of this ramble is to say that this particular part of Potters Bar has just been made a Conservation Area to prevent any more ill-advised alterations to the stock of Hick bungalows, which are of course an ever-decreasing number. If Hertsmere Council can value this type of property, surely Welwyn Hatfield should also do the same?

ATG

ps All the above is of course on the basis that this application is in fact in respect of the two houses immediately on the left as you enter GWR off Great North Road. But even if I am wrong, I still think Hertsmere have the right idea!
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2004, 02:32:01 pm »
In response to the post about whether there have been complaints from Georges Wood Road about the applications, there most certainly have been.

Vivian Weeks (Chairman of Georges Wood Frontiers Ass) has led the campaign here and I have spoken to him directly on a number of occasions to help and advise.

In terms of flats being built in Brookmans Park, apparently there's nothing in planning law which would prevent this from happening and hence the officers have recommended approval on more than one previous occasion.  The schemes have only been rejected when the actual elected Councillors, who are far closer to the wishes of the inhabitants of the village, have intervened at the last minute and turned down the applications.

That's one reason why it's very important to remember to lobby your councillors, as well as the planning officers (how are simply officials, professionally employed by the District Council).

There are 3 elected Councillors for Brookmans Park and these are their details.  Make sure you lobby them on any issues that concern you, including these planning matters. They are answerable to you and you should find them very responsive.

Councillor Stephen Boulton  
20 Moffats Lane
Brookmans Park
AL9 7RU  
Telephone: (01707)655999  
Email: stephen.boulton@welhat.gov.uk  
Party: Conservative  

Councillor Irene Dean  
42 New Park Road
Newgate Street Village
SG13 8RF  
Telephone: (01707) 873211  
Fax: (01707) 873211  
Email: irene.dean@welhat.gov.uk  

Councillor John Dean  
42 New Park Road
Newgate Street Village
SG13 8RF  
Telephone: (01707) 873211  
Fax: (01707) 873211  
Email: john.dean@welhat.gov.uk  

NOTE: Our Ward covers Brookmans Park, Little Heath and Newgate St Village.

Don't leave these planning application outcomes to chance or think that someone else is doing the lobbying on your behalf. If you don't like the application... object!

Grant Shapps

Offline eric

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2004, 01:27:04 pm »
What ARE peoples' developed thoughts re the following ?

Given that virtually everywhere in the country needs to increase the proportion of smaller residences (to meet demography, to replace smaller houses that have been extended beyond the size/price of essential-workers and suchlike):

should BP be exempt from providing an increase too ?

if so, why ?

if not, then where best provided ?   in what form ?
etc etc  

(setting aside the "anywhere but in my backyard" reaction for now)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2004, 02:36:16 pm »
It is now too late for any more lobbying, but 19 people did object to the proposed flats at 1-3 Georges Wood Road, and 2 supported the application.  A major problem is that the Highways Dept at Herts CC have not objected.  Presumably it does not show up on their records as an accident black spot, but it certainly is not a junction I use willingly!

As chairman of the North Mymms Parish Council I intend to speak against this application at the WH Planning Committee meeting on 21 Oct. Earlier this year, I did manage to persuade the committee to refuse the recommended application for 6 flats opposite at 2 Georges Wood Road.  Whether I can do it again remains to be seen.

Offline flw67

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2004, 05:46:42 pm »
Im sorry but I cannot understand all the fuss about flats in BP, Im sure they would be perfectly in keeping with the area and would probably look rather nice, hardly a monstrosity!  Also I know of a few older people who find their houses and gardens too much and would love to stay in BP and move to a flat, but alas they are few and far between, wonder why.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2004, 12:12:14 am »
At their meeting on Thursday 21 October, Welwyn Hatfield Council refused permission for 10 flats at 1-3 Georges Wood Road.  

I spoke against it as chairman of North Mymms Parish Council.  Vivian weeks also spoke against it as chairman of the Georges wood Road Frontagers Association.  Cllr Stephen Boulton as chairman of WH Planning Committee recommended refusal and the committee went with him.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2004, 01:04:50 pm »
I have heard a rumour that some people have bought 2 houses on Brookmans Ave (opposite-ish each other) and are also intending to build flats.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Aidan

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2004, 09:00:46 pm »
No planning applications made up to 22 October for any more flats.  

The track record for proposals for flats is five applications (three at the same address of 2 Georges wood Road) resulting in 2 withdrawals and three refusals.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2004, 09:04:37 pm »
thanks Bob.

Aidan

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2004, 03:02:59 pm »
I have heard a rumour that some people have bought 2 houses on Brookmans Ave (opposite-ish each other) and are also intending to build flats.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Aidan

News to me and highly unllikely. I think one will be knocked down soon but to be replaced with another house.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2004, 03:10:05 pm »
A quick (off topic) question to Windors.

When I first moved to the village you always flew a Union Flag outside your offices and visitors to the village used to frequently comment on how nice they looked.

I've noticed their absence for the past couple of years.  What happened to them and do you have any plans to bring them back?

Grant Shapps

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2004, 01:04:46 am »
Ah good sir, wouldn't it have to be an E-Union flag now?
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2004, 12:10:59 pm »
A quick (off topic) question to Windors.

When I first moved to the village you always flew a Union Flag outside your offices and visitors to the village used to frequently comment on how nice they looked.

I've noticed their absence for the past couple of years.  What happened to them and do you have any plans to bring them back?

Grant Shapps

I still have them in my office.
One day last year, a very nice man driving a very large lorry delivering stuff to the Co-Op, reversed said very large lorry onto the pavement outside my office and proceeded without due caution, into one of my brick piers demolishing it!
The pier has been 'repaired' but I dont think it is strong enough to support the flag.
I am glad you liked the flags. I will attempt to re-fly the good old Union Jacks again.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2004, 06:58:42 pm »
I think flying the EU flag should be compulsory and that severe penalties should exist for non compliance.
Also its about time we all wised up and joined the Euro dollar before we are left behind.
regards,
Jet

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2004, 06:59:59 pm »
 ;D

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2004, 08:28:32 pm »
Really Aiden,
A most interesting view of the topic. I hadnt looked at the issue that way!!!!

Offline local_resident

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2004, 11:50:43 pm »
9 Bluebridge Road

A second application (Reference S6/2004/1790/FP) has been submitted to Welwyn Hatfield Council for the demolition of existing dwelling at 9 Bluebridge Road, Brookmans Park. The new plan is to erect four apartments. Any comments should be made, without delay, in writing to: -

Mr C.J. Conway
Chief Planning & Environmental Health Officer
Council Offices
Campus East
Welwyn Garden City
Herts
AL8 6AE

If you wish to have your say, please write, as above.

John_fraser

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2004, 11:30:21 am »
Do you have any more details? Is the new block as large as the last plan etc?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2004, 02:31:32 pm »
There is also a new application for 6 flats at 2 Georges Wood Road! What a surprise.

I will be looking at these two applications in the next few days and will update everyone about changes.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2004, 02:05:41 pm »
My comments, as promised, on the two new planning applications for flats.  Welwyn Hatfield requires comments by 7 Jan 2005 (although later ones will be accepted) to Planning Dept, Welwyn Hatfield Council, Council Office, Campus West, WGC, AL8 6EA.  Please quote their reference number and the property address.

The plans can be seen at the Council’s reception – office next to Waitrose, WGC.  These comments are purely mine, without prejudice, and are my comparisons of the latest plans against the plans withdrawn recently.

S6/2004/1790/FP - 9 Bluebridge Rd Reduced from 5 flats to 4, now on 2 floors not 3.  Roof height now similar to next door.  Still 7 car spaces. When viewed from the church, the building is width has reduced from about 21m to 18.5m, and is possibly slightly less deep.  Now has a turret-like rounding of the right-hand corner without a turret roof.  Some slight errors in the drawings.  I have a couple of queries but need to discuss them with others.

S6/2004/1803/FP – 2 Georges wood Road. Still 6 flats and 2 storeys but now divided between two building, plus 10 car spaces.  Floor area reduced from 739 to 578 sq.m. (existing house is 259 sq.m.)  The block of 4 flats now has a glass roof over the stairwell.  No other changes apparent.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 08:49:54 am by admin »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2004, 02:11:27 pm »
Don't know what happened but the address disappeared. and the 'Bold' went wonky.

1790 is 9 Bluebridge Rd
1803 is 2 Georges wood Road.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2004, 08:52:47 am »
Hi Bob,

I have fixed your previous post. The words have to go within the bold tags. What probably happened is that you highlighted the road name and then clicked on the bold button -- that would probably replace the words with the bold tags.

In future, click the bold tab, then write the words in between the two tags that appear in the page.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 10:40:58 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2005, 02:15:13 pm »
9 Bluebridge Road - application to demolish and replace with 4 flats.  This was considered by Welwyn Hatfield Council on 28 January and refused.  Reasons not known but I will update you when I know what they were.

Offline Saint_Mark

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2005, 11:01:03 am »
Has anyone heard anything more on the flats at 2 Georges Wood Road? 6 flats on that road sounds strange.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2005, 08:08:35 pm »
The two planning applications for flats to replace the houses at 2 Georges Wood Rd and 1-3 eorges Wood road are to be decided upon on 17 Feb.  They will be consided by Welwyn Hatfield Council planning committee meeting at Campus West, WGC starting at 7.30pm.  the planning officers have recommended approval.

It is open to the public, so if you intend to go, park in the car park for Campus West.  Although you will have to take a ticket when you go in, the barriers will be raised by the time you leave so it is free parking.

I will be speaking against these applications, being chairman of North Mymms Parish Council.  I expect someone from the Georges Wood Road Frontagers Assoc will also speak against them.

Tags: