Author Topic: Flats in Brookmans Park  (Read 76820 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Re: Flats in Brookmans Park
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2007, 04:13:41 pm »
I agree with Colin here. The flats on Oaklands may look 'quite nice', but the overall block is very large and overpowers the house next door. I would find it quite intimidating to live next door to such a building and my sympathies are with the neighbours who didn't choose the situation they now find themselves in. Most of their garden is now overlooked and the sun will be blocked out of the garden for a lot of the day, particularly in the autumn/winter when the sun is low.

But still, the people involved in the development of the site will have made themselves a tidy sum, so that's OK then isn't it ...........

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2007, 04:49:28 pm »
Did the owner of the house next door who is now overlooked and in shade object to the plans ?

I thought that things like this were supposed to be taken into consideration by the planners. One of the reasons for the refusal of the house in Peplins Way was that it too closely overlooked an adjoining property

colinr

« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2007, 06:10:29 pm »
Sasquartch

Yes, I believe they did object, but the developers kept submitting new plans, over a long period of time.

The reason I am interested in this subject is that I live in The Gardens and a similar development is proposed there... See “Yet another block of 4 flats -13 The Gardens” Forum. So my neighbours and myself have this to look forward to.   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:42:53 pm by colinr »

John_fraser

« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2007, 08:35:53 pm »
I walked past it again tonight and I still like it. I don't know what effect it has on the neighbour, so I will keep my comments to what I can see.

Yes, the developer will probably make a tidy profit, but that's what they are developing buildings for. They also take the risk of a market fall, in which case they will make a large loss.

Yes, most (probably all) developers would build eighty story tower blocks on every plot in the South East if that would maximise their ROI. I didn't suggest they be given free reign, just that some sympathetically built blocks doesn't seem to bad.

No, the block does not fill the plot. It doesn't even come close to filling it.

No, I don't buy the idea that small unattractive building looks better than a larger attractive building.

No, Brookmans Park is not a time capsule. It will change.

Offline Mark_Eric

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2007, 09:30:50 pm »
I think the profits being made by the developers on the recently built blocks of flats are so great that even a large reduction in house prices would not leave the developers out of pocket

Obviously, an attractive building "looks" better than an unattractive one, whatever the size. My point is that when we are talking about those buildings being on a housing plot in Brookmans Park, I "prefer" the smaller building. (looks are not everything!) Especially if I lived next door.

As I said before, developers will not stop at "some" blocks. If the profits are there they will continue to build, regardless of effect on surroundings. A precedent has been set, by allowing some to be built.

Brookmans Park will change (as will a lot of south-east England) and I don't lose sleep over it. More flats and houses will be built and congestion will become worse. The increasing population and the Governments housing targets have seen to that. There is not a great deal that can be done, apart from objecting to certain building developments.
I just quite liked the Brookmans Park that I first came to 10 years ago. Even the smoky old pub! And I am not an old fart! I am 35 years old.

colinr

« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2007, 09:41:03 pm »
John

You are correct Brookmans Park is not a time capsule and the environment will change.  I do agree with Mark_Eric's comments

But let’s take a step back in time. I used to live in Aldermans Hill on the Southgate, Palmers Green boarders. A pleasant main road, rather like The Ridgeway in Enfield was, with many medium to large family houses.

Over the years the developers have bought up the houses and turned them into mid sized blocks of flats. This has taken the soul out of the community with many residents renting the properties and not having the same values owners would. 

This could and possibly will happen to Brookmans Park over the next 10/15 years. I am not against development, however I think it should be done with thought and consultation of the community (not just the developer’s needs catered for).

Is the infrastructure in place to accommodated more families, more cars more refuse more policing, will the developers pay to renew the sewers or mains water supplies etc as the demand increases, or will it be down to existing residences to subsidise these facilities.

I know this issue will not go away and I am viewing it very one sided, but it is a real problem that has far reaching consequences for not only Brookmans Park but the whole of the Hertfordshire Green Belt.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:51:11 pm by colinr »

Offline pinchefalise

« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2007, 08:56:00 pm »
The original plans for these flats clearly stated that there was room for seven (yes , seven) cars to be parked at the rear o f the block. Can anyone tell me what size these cars will have to be to get into the space as seen? ?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2007, 09:32:26 pm »
Hi pinchefalise, welcome to the forum.

The original plans for these flats clearly stated that there was room for seven (yes , seven) cars to be parked at the rear o f the block. Can anyone tell me what size these cars will have to be to get into the space as seen? ?

Would seven of these fit?

:)

David
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:21:38 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2007, 11:01:36 am »
Nothing to do with the 'flats' topic but Dave's picture of a BMW Isetta took me back to my first 'car' in the 1960's which was one of these three wheeled BMWs.  It had an aircooled 300cc single cylinder motor, effectively one half of their 600cc horizontally opposed motor cycle engine.  It could be driven on a motor cycle licence as long as it had no reverse gear (ha ha!).

Reverting back to the flats topic, and located down an access drive at the side of the barber's shop, the owner of a small office building at the rear of Bryan's Hardware, BP News etc was refused permission to convert the ground floor office to a work/live use.  The proposal included conversion of the existing garage at the side of that building into a patio area for the use of whoever worked and lived there.  The owner has now appealed against that decision and the consultant has gone to great lengths in justifying the removal of this parking facility.

The parish council has written to the Planning Inspectorate drawing attention to the increasing parking problem in the village centre and the need to retain as much off-street parking as possible.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2007, 10:53:11 am »
The planning application for 5 flats at 58 Bluebridge Road is to be decided on Thursday 20th December at the Welwyn Hatfield planning control meeting. It starts at 7.30pm and will be in the main Council Chamber, Campus West, WGC (the building containing the skating rink and theatre/cinema).  The adjacent car park is free if you leave after 8.15pm

You can view the committee paper on http://coins.welhat.gov.uk/opendocument.asp?documentid=8678

The original application was refused and, according to the officers' report, this revised one has taken account of the reasons for the original rejection.  A condition says that the builders vehicles must not interfere with the use of the public highway.

Interestingly, for me at any rate, is that this application was 'called in' by Cllr Stephen Boulton who represents Brookmans Park on the council, presumably to ensure that it was decided by the councillors and not by planning officers acting under delegated powers.

Offline southbury

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #190 on: December 18, 2007, 09:30:20 am »
Sooner or later developers will see that there is no value in these projects . Family property in BP (homes with adequate parking and gardens) will not be immune but it will always have a bid ( because of the school , the station, our local amenities and the environment) .. but when the correction in house prices truely kicks in ( and it will ) it wil be over priced flats that will get hit the hardest.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #191 on: December 18, 2007, 10:58:20 am »
I can't remember who told me this, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but someone did say that the flats at the end of Georges Wood Road were not selling at all well, with only one or two out of the 12 units sold so far. If that is correct, that would probably be the most effective way of stopping development if there is no demand....
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #192 on: December 18, 2007, 11:17:48 am »
Second hand or third hand information is that four of the 12 Georges Wood flats have been sold and the others are being offered for rent.

I forgot to mention that I will speaking on behalf of the parish council at Thursday's planning meeting but fully expect the application to be approved.  I will speak about the speeding traffic on Bluebridge Rd, as proven by our WPC Jo, the closeness of the site to the official   ::)  change in speed limits, and the narrowness of the bridge. 

Unfortunately when Herts Highways don't object then the planning committee will be in a difficult position if they refuse on traffic grounds.  If refused on those grounds going against Herts Highways opinion, an appeal will be made and most likely won with costs awarded against the council (paid for by you and me!). 

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2007, 11:33:35 am »
The 5 flats have been approved at 58 Bluebridge Road. 

The councillors on the planning committee were most unhappy about the 'flaternisation' of Brookmans Park but their hands were tied by government planning policies.  If this application had been refused, an appeal would most likely be upheld because government policies had not been adhered to.  Costs would most likely be awarded against the council because of this, which would cost us, the ratepayers, £20,000 or more.  That was what happened with the appeal against refusal of flats at 2 Georges Wood Road.

Offline Iain

• Forum Member
« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2008, 03:05:37 pm »
Every cloud has a silver lining ... with more traffic entering and leaving No 58, it may slow people down over Blue Bridge

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:02 am »
2 Georges Wood Road

A new planning application has just been made for 2 houses on this building site.  Currently there is permission for flats.  The application number is 2010/2297.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2010, 05:27:53 pm »
Perhaps the market wouldnt stand so many flats at present?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2010, 11:17:53 am »
According to local police, multi-occupancy dwellings are causing local parking problems.

http://brookmansparknewsletter.posterous.com/flats-convertions-causing-local-parking-probl

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:30:36 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline awill

« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2010, 12:23:21 pm »
They would appear to be causing spelling problems too....

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2010, 12:30:13 pm »
Oops, thanks. 

:-\

Tags: