Author Topic: Flats in Brookmans Park  (Read 76986 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Flats in Brookmans Park
« on: January 03, 2004, 09:38:53 pm »
Did you know that there have been planning applications for flats in Brookmans Park?  In the autumn there was an application to pull down 2 Georges Wood Rd (first house off the A1000 on the north side) and build a block of 6 two-bedroomed flats.  This was rejected by Welwyn Hatfield Council as being out of character with the area.  However a new application has been submitted with a slightly different layout.

Also just before Christmas, another application has been made to convert San Felice restaurant, opposite the Dutch Nursery, into 8 flats.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Flats in Brookmans Park
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 09:56:26 pm »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for continuing to update us on planning applications and green belt issues. I am adding a link to your latest news page for those who want to know more.

Click here for the current NMDGBS updates including the flats mentioned above.

Please feel free to continue to refer to any planning applications you want wider publicity for and link to your site's update page.

Cheers

David Brewer
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 11:26:04 pm »
A quick mental calculation tells me that there can't be much profit in knocking down a house in GWR and replacing with 6 flats, unless of course they are going to be palatial with ensuites, undercover parking, gated entrance, etc.

Would Neville care to comment on what flats like this would be worth?

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 08:49:18 pm »
Did you read the posts to the forum some time ago, regarding the new entry rules to Chancellors?

I would imagine that flats there would go for a premium Ė after all, they are right on the schoolís doorstep.

I can envisage whole families crammed into one-bedroom flats just to get their children into the school.  ;D Or perhaps the developers envisage renting out the flats. Iím sure they could charge thousands for a temporary let at an appropriate time of year.

Of course, this would leave even more children living in BP having to commute elsewhere to school...

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 12:11:18 am »
There have been flats in BP for years so whats the problem?
The government demands new housing and an increase in population density, the L A must comply.
At least people in flats will probably have to behave with more consideration than people in houses due to codicils in their purchase aggreement.
It does not affect the green belt, does it?
regards,
jet

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 06:01:51 pm »
One main problem with the 6 flats proposed at 2 Georges Wood Rd is only 9 car spaces.  These are 2-bed flats and the drawings show a dining table seating up to 10 people in each flat.  It will not take many cars for residents and visitors to fill those 9 spaces, causing on-street parking.  That is a busy section of the road, particularly at school-run times.

Regarding San Felice, the conversion onto flats would not appear to be against Green Belt policies, and there is loads of parking space there for 8 flats.    

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 08:06:46 pm »
I would need to see the plans before I could comment on the values. I would of course bear in mind just how near to the A1000 they will be with all that carbon monoxide and noise. No-one has ever asked me for a property on a main road in 32 years! However, everything does have a value. I think that the developer paid circa £585,000 so that will be £97,500 per flat plus the building cost. Gresley court flats are achieving around £200,000 and they are in 2 1/2 acres AND people always comment there about the noise of the A1000 when viewing!

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 10:43:12 pm »
Thank you for your figures, Nevillle. Living as we do on the Great North Road, we know all about traffice noise but if you concentrate really hard you can ignore it (trust me, I've been doing it for years).

ATG

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 10:46:01 pm »
And another thing I forgot to mention, I didn't realise until I drove past there today how big that plot is.

And carbon monoxide doesn't do you any harm, just look at me, still alive and able to post to the forum like the best of 'em. ;)

ATG

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 02:55:45 pm »
The proposed 8 flats at San Felice range from 46sqm for a 1-bed flat to 100sqm for a 3-bed flat.  By memory, the six 2-bed flats at 2 Georges Wood Rd are about 165sqm

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 11:34:02 pm »
If it's 165 sq m each then they're BIG flats, most houses are less than this (I have to measure them all day for insurance purposes - biggest one so far was 416 sq m, but then it did have 5 beds, 4 bathrooms, 4 recep, etc)

ATG

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 05:42:19 pm »
A check of the plans shows that the flat sizes are in the 120 to 140 sqm range.  Total floor area for the block of 6 flats would be 954sqm

These are big, but the proposed 'Country House' on the 21-acre field at Hawkshead Rd/Bluebridge Rd junction would be 1,190sqm.  Discussion on this is on the 21-acre field thread. ::)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 03:08:54 pm »
Bob Horrocks has kindly provided an update on this application saying that it has again been refused. Click here to read Bob's report.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 07:07:16 pm »
Despite the refusal, twice, for a block of 6 flats to replace 2 Georges Wood Road, a new planning application was submitted in the week ending 30 July.  Ref No. S6/2004/1152/FP, it is for 1-3 Georges Wood Road Rd.  The applicant wants to demolish the two houses and erect two blocks to provide ten 2-bed flats.

Plans not yet seen, but anyone can see them at Welwyn Hatfield Council offices, next to Waitrose, WGC during normal office hours.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 09:01:54 pm »
And yet more flats proposed for Brookmans Park!  Like an outbreak of spots.  Is it catching?

9 Bluebridge Road, on the opposite corner to the United Reformed Church and facing the church entrance.  Proposals to demolish the house and erect a block of 5 flats with 7 car parking spaces and access from the 'rear' of the site i.e. the opposite end from Bluebridge Road.  

Application No S6/2004/1262/FP can be seen at Welwyn Hatfield Council offices, next to Waitrose, WGC.  North Mymms District Green Belt Soc will be notifying nearby residents in case they have not heard about it.

Where next?  Anyone prepared to bet on which Brookmans Park property is next to get a planning application to replace with flats?

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh. †Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 12:59:58 pm »
As long as it's not the Brookmans...

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 05:19:56 pm »
it might as well be Aidan,you virtually live down there anyway ;D

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 06:44:17 pm »
A quick update on the planning application for 9 Bluebridge which aims to demolish the house and turn it into 5 apartments each containing 2 bedrooms (with the exception of the top apartment, which would be a one bedroom flat).

As most people are aware, a large petition has been gathered both door to door and in a number of the village shops.

The petition will be presented to the Case Officer for this application at the Council Offices in Welwyn Garden City next Wednesday 15th at 10am.

Brookmans Park residents who have signed the petition are strongly encouraged to come along to show the strength of feeling about this application.  Both the Welwyn Hatfield Times and the Welwyn Hatfield Review are sending photographers for the petition handover.

Grant Shapps

John_fraser

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 08:23:41 pm »
Politician + Press + Band Wagon = Photo Opportunity!
;D

Actually, good luck to those involved. I donít want to see this monstrosity built.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2004, 12:31:47 am »
In view of the petition organised by neighbours the Green Belt Soc did not have to circulate a note.

I can now tell you that the Green Belt Soc and the Parish Council have both objected to this application for 9 Bluebridge Road.

They have both also objected to a THIRD application within a year for six two-bed flats at 2 Georges Wood Road and another application for two blocks totalling 10 flats opposite at 1-3 Georges Wood Road.  

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2004, 11:27:48 am »
In view of the petition organised by neighbours the Green Belt Soc did not have to circulate a note. I can now tell you that the Green Belt Soc and the Parish Council have both objected to this application for 9 Bluebridge Road.

Can anyone add the text of the petition to this thread for those who haven't been visited door-to-door and who are unable to get to the shops please?

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2004, 12:12:03 pm »
Any chance of an online version?

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2004, 12:59:09 pm »
It's difficult to do an online petition because of the difficulty in proving who you are. I did speak to the petition organiser about this, and one of the reasons we felt that it wouldn't work putting a copy online is because you have no idea whether people are who they are saying they are, whether at least if you have their signature it looks more authentic.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2004, 01:01:32 pm »
good point...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2004, 10:37:11 am »
The petition will be presented to the Case Officer for this application at the Council Offices in Welwyn Garden City next Wednesday 15th at 10am.

Was the petition presented on Wednesday and what happens next?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 10:56:14 am by admin »

Offline Blue Friday

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2004, 11:00:35 am »
What happens next is the Conservative Parliamentary Spokesman gets his photograph in both the Welwyn Hatfield Times and the Welwyn Hatfield Review...  

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2004, 02:00:33 pm »
The petition was presented on Wednesday by a delegation of Brookmans Park residents and the Officer with responsibility for this application, Nathan Baker, accepted the petition.

Grant Shapps

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2004, 02:04:10 am »
The Editor asked what happens next?

The normal way for Joe Public to deal with any planning application is first of all to look at what is proposed and decide if you want to take action.  The application can be viewed at the District Counil office, next to Waitrose supermarket, WGC.

You can write comments, objections, or in support, to the planning dept, Welwyn Hatfield Council, Campus East, WGC, Herts Al8 6AE, quoting their reference 'S6/2004/1262/FP - 9 Bluebridge Road, Brookmans Park'.  Keep it short, polite, and avoid saying 'I don't like it' or similar.  Instead say something like 'it is overdevelopment of the site, overly dominant, would make worse the village car parking problems because of the proximity to the church, railway station, and village centre etc' (or whatever arguments you wish to put forward).

The planning officer will consider the application for compliance with the District Plan, take into account comments received and make any further enquiries thought appropriate.
A report will then be prepared and the decision may be taken by the officers, or they may refer it to the Council's Planning Committee for them to decide whether or not to approve it.  This can take weeks, maybe months.

The Council should then advise anyone who has written a separate letter to the Council, but not normally to people who have just signed the petition. The applicant can appeal if the decision is a refusal, and the Council should notify anyone who wrote about the original application.

The decision will be posted on this website and the NM District Green Belt Soc website soon after I have been notified. I hope that clarifies the system.

Just as a footnote, a few decisions are referred to John Prescott's office for a final decision, but that is very rare

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 03:45:29 pm »
Application for 5 flats at 9 Bluebridge Road.  This has been withdrawn at the applicant's request on 7 October 2004.

Looks like the 445-signature petition worked.  It shows that local opinion still counts.  Well done to all those involved.

Tags: