Author Topic: Info needed for novel  (Read 14509 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Info needed for novel
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 01:43:32 pm »
The Royal Mail recognises both North Mymms and Welham Green, some roads include both in their 'official address', but some residents refuse to include one or other when writing their own address! There remain 'bits' of the Parish which are very much 'North Mymms' like Warrengate Lane

For certain Postcodes, the Royal Mail database used to give  the numbers of the houses in that code area, the street name, then 'North Mymms' Hatfield Herts AL9 7 **.  Apparently delivery drivers had problems because they would look on the map for a town or village of North Mymms and failed to find it since there is none.  At the request of village residents a survey was carried out about 2 years ago which showed that sufficient numbers of residents wanted 'Welham Green' to be added to the database address.  The parish council advised on which roads to include and the database was then changed.  Warrengate Road, and North Mymms Park where the mansion house is located, are outside the boundary which is why they are still 'North Mymms, Hatfield, Herts'. 

It is true that a number of residents still simply put 'North Mymms' as their address, but that is their decision.  I have my own theory why but it would be wrong to voice it.

Offline peppermint

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 01:54:08 pm »
Hi Bob,   Is Warrengate Road in Water End as the road sign at the Brookmans Park end of Bradmore Lane would suggest?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 02:21:29 pm »
Sorry but I do not know the boundary of 'Water End'. 

I think of Water End as the houses on the east side of Warrengate Road from the Water End Cafe to the junction with Bradmore Lane, plus the few houses on the west side down to Abdale House.  The Swallow Holes are behind these houses which must give the name to the area.  Mind you, I was amazed at the extent of flooding of the Swallow Holes area when we had heavy rain in February - see picture showing the flooding behind the Water End industrial area.

I am inclined to suggest the name 'Hawkshead' for the 11 or so houses on the west side going north from the junction with Hawkshead Lane plus the few houses on Swanland Road backing onto them and the houses on Hawkshead Lane of course. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:36:24 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline speerchucker

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 02:38:31 pm »
Writeon

If you wanted a slightly more attractive route to North Mymms house, your character could come off the M25 at Junction 22, which I tend to do.  This takes you past the architecturally interesting Tyttenhanger house, past the plastic cow grazing at coursers farm stables into Colney Heath.  A right turn past the old farm will see you pass the modern houses on the left with the breakdown truck that always seems to have a broken down car and a bright pink 1990s Ford outside.  Once through the village, you turn a sharp bend and get the first glimpse of North Mymms house through the trees in its old deer park.  The sharp downhill drive brings you to the octagonal gatehouse and, further on, the drive up to the church.  A pastoral setting, despite its proximity to the A1 M (ie motorway) and the M25.

Your character might want to stay in Hatfield, about 5 miles away, where there a couple of cheap and unfussy hotels overlooking the University of Hertfordshire, formerly the home of the de Havilland (and British Aerospace) factory airfield where the Comet was born as the first jet engined aircraft.  Hatfiel is also the home of Hatfield House where Queen Elizabeth (the 1st) apparently found out that she had acceded to the throne and more recently home to Lara Croft in the movie.

Hopefully a little colour that others will no doubt correct for accuracy.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 05:05:11 pm »
Speerchucker was almost correct.

The 'de Havilland' Comet was the first commercial jet airliner in the world, going into service in 1952 before the Boeing 707.  It was about the same size as a Boeing 737 and carried fewer passengers but in great comfort.  Unfortunately it suffered from being a pioneer and several crashed.  It was withdrawn from service and extensive testing at Farnborough found a window design defect, which was corrected in the Comet 2.  The final version, the Comet 4, was the first jet airliner to fly direct across the Atlantic in 1958. 

I think they have a Comet nose section at the Mosquito Museum (between South Mimms and London Colney) which houses numerous de Havilland planes - somewhere to take the family during the summer!

A bit more background info:-

Hatfield was the home of de Havilland aircraft, with its founder, Sir Geoffrey de Havilland, being related to the film actress Olivia de Havilland who appeared in 'Gone with the wind' as well as many other films. 

Colney Heath and London Colney are named after the river Colne which flows through these villages, and is the river which the Swallow Holes water and Mimmshall Brook drain into, as mentioned in my previous posting.

Hatfield House was owned by the Salisbury family at the time of Queen Elizabeth 1 and they still own it and live there. The House and gardens are open to the public during the summer so the book's character could visit the house in September.   The character could attend an Elizabethan Banquet which is held in the Great Hall of the Old Palace in which QE1 lived.  Spooky!  This was not the current Hatfield House which was built later.  The Hatfield House website will give more detail.  A previous Marquess of Salisbury was Prime Minister to Queen Victoria in 1885/6 and again in 1895/1902.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:37:44 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline writeon

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 05:34:28 pm »
     Hallelujah! Praise the Lord and pass the biscuits! (An old southern saying from the pioneer days!) Thank you speerchucker for the colorful and entertaining description of my character's approach to the mansion. YOU should write! I could envision it all, especially the pink Ford... I have found that every village has a pink auto, of sorts, in their backyard, including my village. I might just use your route since it is the only one that has been offered!
      On a more serious note, thank you to Sasquartch for clearing up the 'township' muddle...Yes, in the US, small towns are classified as townships and the houses are fairly well built with in-house plumbing...my error.
     Bob mentioned the Water End Cafe-would this be a place to use in writing to eat and/or is there a pub where they might have a pint and talk?
     I spent some time in our library, yesterday, attempting to find a map that shows any of the locations you talk about. I am hard put to find Hertfordshire noted, let alone North Mymms, etc. All they list is St. Albans or Hatfield, as they are geared towards a tourist's needs. The maps list you as being in the 'Heartland' of England.
     I grew up in the so called, heartland of America. We lived on twelve acres, which was actually considered 'in town'. Most of my parent's relatives lived on farms that contained sections of land. We are not listed on many maps, as it is just farmland that contains mostly wheat fields. Personally, I like rural living. We could have used a few pink tractors, though.
Writeon

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 06:03:06 pm »
Bob mentioned the Water End Cafe-would this be a place to use in writing to eat and/or is there a pub where they might have a pint and talk?
Writeon    

I think the Water End Cafe is now closed.  There are a couple of pubs close by - The Old Maypole and The Woodman

Offline buffalo wings

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 11:12:16 pm »
Hi Writeon

Connections intrigue me.   The Reverend  James Faithfull was vicar of North Mymms parish from !844 and was still in post by 1851.  I used him in a play which we performed last year but I changed his name rather unsubtly to Benedict for dramatic purposes so that he could be a middle aged typical country parson.   I feel sorry about that because James Faithfull was a young man who skillfully persuaded  the local gentry to accept schooling for girls in the community.   Although my Rev Benedict achieved the same end in the play, I wasn't able to give the vicar the credit perhaps he was due.   I think James Faithfull must have been a fine fellow.   He was newly wed when he arrived in the parish and he had an American wife..   Connection?   If you click on the history bar on this website and scroll down to "The Grantham Halse Faithfull Payson Ley connection"  and further click on 'The Pretty American"you will find her story and his as related by Dorothy Colville.   It makes intersting reading

Offline writeon

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 04:52:55 pm »
     I, too, love connections, buffalo wings. Your play sounds as though it would have been an informative and enjoyable performance ... I have read much of Dorothy Colville's writings about North Mymms Parish, but had skipped over that chapter. It was quite interesting, as I read on, that there are even more connections in its text to my story. Fascinating, indeed! Thank you for the information, as I had emailed the parish for the info and never heard back.
     In my book, the character who lives in North Mymms was born in 1833 into an aristocratic family. She turns eighteen in London during the opening of the Great Exhibition and comes to America in 1852 as a young bride, settling in Louisville, Kentucky. As a child, I learned more about history from well selected fiction than I ever did in a classroom, so I try to return the favor by writng with credible fact whenever possible.
     Buffalo wings, in that endeavor, would it have been a possibility that my character, as a young girl, would have had a social relationship with the vicar's wife? Since she (my character) will be traveling to America, the vicar's wife would be a positive connection for her as to what America might be like, etc.
     Thanks to Angel for the pub names. That is exactly what I was looking for.
     The only area that is still a bit 'fuzzy' is the general location of North Mymms Park in regards to other areas. Since I cannot find a map of the county which includes Brookman's Park and all, I'm a bit unclear. However, you have all added bits an pieces of insight into the collection and, I will make sure that I visit when we get over there. I've tagged the July 12th date as a possiblility, as it would allow access to the grounds, etc. and I do have an interest in gardens-on a personal note.
     Writeon

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 05:20:52 pm »
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=brookmans+park&countryCode=GB#map=51.7218,-0.20462|15|4&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:51.7218:-0.20462:17|brookmans%20park|Brookmans%20Park,%20Station%20Close,%20Welwyn%20Hatfield

is a link to a map of the local area  ;)
copy and paste the whole link to get a larger area
Bob

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 12:35:30 pm »
 Google Maps satellite views might be better.  Search for 'North Mymms Park, Hatfield, Herts, UK'.

Angel suggested the Old Maypole and the Woodman.  These are both on Warrengate Rd at Water End.  Both do meals, and are Listed Buildings i.e. old an full of character.  They both existed in the 1850s if a connection is required in the book.  Here are pictures of the Woodman in 1896 and now.  I doubt if it changed that much between 1850s and 1896.  Warrengate Road was a main road in the 1800s but is now a country lane.

Offline writeon

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 06:52:36 pm »
     Well, as my grandchildren say-'You guys rock!' And, that is a positive statement...
      Thank you, Bob, very much for the pictures of the Woodman. It is definately a possiblilty to bring it into both eras. And, the maps are good, too. Just what I was needing. This gives me alot to work with.
Writeon

Offline speerchucker

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 02:51:53 pm »
Write, or Mrs On to be more formal

If you want further map content, you could try www.old-maps.co.uk and type in Brookmans Park, moving North West from there will give you a perspective of North Mimms house and its surrounding area from 1883 and across certain other dates.  I believe that you can also purchse those maps but, with a decent resolution screen, you probably don't need to.

I hope from your research that you have identified that Brookmans Park is really too new to have been around at the time that your character emigrated albeit that some of the houses in the village have been build to look as though they pre-date that time.

I would also thoroughly recommend using google earth for a virtual visit.  A good alternative is www.maps.google.co.uk, type in 'coursers road', select satelite, zoom in a little and you can follow the route that I described almost as if you were there.  Microsoft Virtual Earth is also really good.

Good luck

Chucker

ps having been to Louisville in recent times and, worse still, Louisport, I pity your character moving from North Mimms, albeit that the particular part of Kentucky is probably less attractive now that a century ago and the countryside is still beautiful

Tags: