Author Topic: Leach Fields footpaths  (Read 133053 times)

Offline horses leach field

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
Re: Leach Fields footpaths
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2011, 08:47:26 pm »
Leach Field is under an agricultural tenancy, and so Horses, pigs, goats and soon Highland cattle will be grazing in the various fields. The footpaths when established will be 2 meters in width, and fenced so that people can rightly use the footpaths, but the walkers and their dogs will be confined to the footpaths, they will not be able to wonder at will and worry the livestock.

The livestock have the right to graze freely and not to be constantly attacked by dogs as happened last weekend. The walkers and their dogs can run freely in other parts of the Gobion Woods, so why would they want to run freely around a farmers field, and worry their  livestock?

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2011, 09:15:40 pm »
Leach Field is under an agricultural tenancy, and so Horses, pigs, goats and soon Highland cattle will be grazing in the various fields.

Sounds lovely and a welcome addition to the scenery and interest of the area. Hopefully there will be indeed respect from the locals and we can all enjoy in harmony.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2011, 10:40:00 pm »
Sounds lovely and a welcome addition to the scenery and interest of the area. Hopefully there will be indeed respect from the locals and we can all enjoy in harmony.

I second that!

Offline MikeL

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2011, 01:29:49 pm »
I think it sounds lovely as well and look forward to seeing them. I also find it appalling that people are doing anything to harm the animals there. Also, for the almost 20 years I have been in the area, walkers were always supposed to keep to the paths.

I would just like to add one point though. People have enjoyed walking in these fields for over 40 years, hence the reason the rights of way have been established. It is the farm animals that are the recent addition here (I believe it was a turf farm in the past) and it is their presence that is currently restricting local people's established rights, not the other way round.

Offline pinchefalise

« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2011, 02:08:47 pm »
Well said mikeL. We have lived here for almost 37 years and have regularly walked Leach fields into the woods and fields. Only when the building work started on the adjacent flats ( after knocking down the house on the site) was the entry to the fields barred by the paadlocked gate and access from the other points blocked by trees/ wood/ bushes etc. We always stuck to the paths even though there wwere no animals there in those days.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »
Only when the building work started on the adjacent flats ( after knocking down the house on the site) was the entry to the fields barred by the paadlocked gate

The two events were unconnected.  The 20 year lease on the field expired and Leach Homes closed off the accesses.  The flats were developed by someone else - a BP resident whose name and address can be seen on www.welhat.gov.uk on the application form for planning application 2009/2770.  I say this to possibly spare any blushes / harrassment by naming him here.

Offline LuckyDuck

« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2011, 06:08:08 pm »
Ludicrous! People acting like they own the land!

Yes People have enjoyed walking these paths for years, The land owner was genorous enough to allow you to do that.
Making claims to have rights over somebody elses land is appalling no land owner in the future will ever make that mistake again.
A footpath being established just means a way through, and luckily for the animals there, it means people in the enclosures not the other way around.
I can't see why this is such a problem for some people, when there is miles of park land on the other side.

P.s

MikeL
In one breath you say walkers should stick to the paths, In the next your saying animals are restricting your rights of way.

How is that, when there is going to be an enclosed footpath through the fields for you to walk on?

Offline MikeL

« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2011, 06:13:15 pm »
Obviously this must be the first time that public footpaths have ever been created over farmland. :icon_scratch:

Offline LuckyDuck

« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2011, 08:00:46 pm »
ML did you feel like not answering my question then?

Offline Mary_Morgan

• Opinions on many things
  • statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #219 on: November 24, 2011, 10:28:03 am »
Farm animals are not a recent addition.  These fields were part of Moffats Farm and had cattle in them during the 50s, and horses during the 60s.   Mr and Mrs Canham ran the farm and when Hubert Leach bought the fields they were rented out for people to graze horses. 

I am with LuckyDuck here.  As a child/teenager in the 50s and 60s I roamed and rode round the fields for hours on end.   There were no specific pathways then, and we roamed all over because Mr and Mrs Canham and then Hubert Leach were quite happy for us to do so.   My friends and I always knew who owned the fields and that we were privileged that they allowed us to roam around in them.

Cheers

Mary

Offline saffie

« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2011, 08:02:44 am »
Hi Mike

I heard yesterday that there is a walk being organised on Sunday 18th on these paths, is that right? And does this also mean that is there official reopening?

I do hope so, can't wait to be able to walk that way again.

Saffie

Offline MikeL

« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2011, 05:33:21 pm »
I heard yesterday that there is a walk being organised on Sunday 18th on these paths

I would sincerely hope there isn't an organised walk on the 18th of this month as the footpaths have not yet been recorded on the definitive map so anyone walking in Leach Fields without permission from the landowner would be trespassing. Any such ill advised "event" can only serve to delay the eventual confirmation and opening of the footpaths.

Offline saffie

« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2011, 07:09:30 pm »
That's why I thought I would check!!!!!

Heard it from a fellow dog walker the other day.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #223 on: December 11, 2011, 07:21:01 pm »
The people who have applied to have the Rights of Way recognised for certain footpaths in Leach Fields, have certainly not organised any walks on those paths at all! That would be extremely premature, and as MikeL says, could actually delay the confirmation and opening!!

There are a number of steps still to be taken, not least the proper marking out of the paths. (Walkers will have to stick to the paths and keep dogs under control and not roam willy-nilly across the fields, particularly as there are animals being kept there).

We would urge everyone to be patient, and not to rush into actions that would put them at risk of trespassing!

Offline MikeL

« Reply #224 on: January 04, 2012, 01:32:29 pm »
Well, it would appear that no High Court challenges were made to the creation of public footpaths in Leach Fields. As a result, these paths are now being added to the Definitive Map of the county and the Ordnance Survey will now be informed so that they can be added to the OS maps of the area. :D

The next stage is for the County’s Access Officer to meet with the landowners to discuss the opening of the routes and the installation of any gates. Again, I would urge people to please be patient and wait until the paths are officially open before attempting to use them. It hopefully won't be too long now.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has supported this application and submitted evidence forms (or indicated that they would be happy to do so) and also to everyone who was prepared to give evidence at a public inquiry if one had been required. I would also like to thank the landowners who whilst not wanting the footpaths did not actually lodge any objections to this application.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2012, 02:12:25 pm »
I would also like to thank the landowners who whilst not wanting the footpaths did not actually lodge any objections to this application.

Hear, hear   :)

Offline southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2012, 02:16:44 pm »
This is really great news . Well done to all involved.

Mike , when the time is right could we organise a Sunday morning 'ramble' to officially open the paths?

Offline saffie

« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2012, 05:52:17 pm »
Thank you so much for all your hard work, I can't wait to use the paths again.

Also thank you to the landowners.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2012, 02:29:19 pm »
The next stage is for the County’s Access Officer to meet with the landowners to discuss the opening of the routes and the installation of any gates. Again, I would urge people to please be patient and wait until the paths are officially open before attempting to use them. It hopefully won't be too long now.

Any update on when the paths will be open?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aloo

« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2012, 03:39:19 pm »
Is this related to the work going on in Leach Fields?

I thought public footpaths in Leach Fields had been agreed by HCC last year.  Yet the footpaths in Leach Fields are still not open to the public - Why?

Maybe the reason the footpaths are not open yet is because extensive work is being carried out to segregate the footpaths from the rest of Leach Fields through sturdy fencing - is this really necessary?   Who has commissioned the fencing and who is paying for the work?

Offline GWTSEC

• Forum Member
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2012, 05:05:18 pm »
Gobions Wood is owned by the Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust and is completely separate from leach Fields.
Work is planned on the car Park drive to fill some of the pot holes.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2012, 05:46:29 pm »

I thought public footpaths in Leach Fields had been agreed by HCC last year.  Yet the footpaths in Leach Fields are still not open to the public - Why?

Maybe the reason the footpaths are not open yet is because extensive work is being carried out to segregate the footpaths from the rest of Leach Fields through sturdy fencing - is this really necessary?   Who has commissioned the fencing and who is paying for the work?

Under the topic 'Re Leach Fields Footpaths' this was posted in January.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2012, 06:18:17 pm »
I have split three posts from the Gobions restoration thread and moved them here to the Leach Fields thread to try to avoid the former being taken off topic.

While on this thread, any news when the Leach Fields footpaths will be open?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline LuckyDuck

« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2012, 09:30:11 pm »

Yes it is necessary to segregate off the footpath!
There are animals that live on the land and they need to be protected!

Leach homes is having to pay for the fencing to be put up.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2012, 07:02:31 am »
Yes it is necessary to segregate off the footpath!
There are animals that live on the land and they need to be protected!

Leach homes is having to pay for the fencing to be put up.

Agreed. Although most responsible dog owners control their pets in the open spaces surrounding Leach Fields there are too many dogs allowed to run free and uncontrolled in the area. And there must also be a health hazard for animals if dogs are allowed to foul in the areas where they graze.

Last week I saw a woman let two large dogs run off the lead in Gobions Open Space. She was making a call on her mobile while the large animals relieved their bowels where children play. She could see it happening but obviously had no intention of clearing up. I presume that was not a one off.  There is a separate thread about the dog mess and health risks.

We all know of the health risks to children. I would guess it's the same for grazing animals.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:04:10 am by David Brewer »

Offline mannyd

« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2012, 12:07:23 pm »
From Bluebridge Road, the access was through a kissing gate. Will this be the same? Was reading recently about kissing gates which have a lock which can be opened by a RADAR key - so allowing access for disabled people - would be great if we could have one of those

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #236 on: April 01, 2012, 11:36:12 am »
Signs have been put up saying Leach Fields footpaths should be open over the Easter weekend. Here are some pictures of the work, including the new footpath sign off Bluebridge Road.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #237 on: April 01, 2012, 08:25:30 pm »
OK - I know it's their land, and I know they are free to do what they like with it - but it's a shame that it looks like some of the trees we planted 9 years ago have been removed :(

http://www.brookmans.com/news/february03/treeplanting2.shtml

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #238 on: April 01, 2012, 08:28:22 pm »
OK - I know it's their land, and I know they are free to do what they like with it - but it's a shame that it looks like some of the trees we planted 9 years ago have been removed :(

http://www.brookmans.com/news/february03/treeplanting2.shtml

James

Hi James,

I think if you look at the pictures closely you will see some of the trees planted at that time are still there. Some had died anyway. I am not sure any have been removed - but I don't know for certain. I have cropped a few close ups from the images uploaded earlier and it looks like some of the original trees have survived.

David

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2012, 08:33:46 pm »
The paths are open   :)    we had a lovely walk round this afternoon   :D

Many thanks to all involved, especially MikeL, and of course a special thank you to the landowners who have fenced and marked the pathways.

Happy walking everyone.

Tags: