Author Topic: Phone and broadband down  (Read 11213 times)

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Phone and broadband down
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 12:11:07 am »
It seems to me that this is another clear case of the Hyacinth Bucket brigade jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 04:40:41 pm »
 :mblah05:

It was the police that informed me of the original posting. Sorry if that was jumping to conclusions old boy.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 08:25:47 pm »
Was it the police who told you to post your sarcastic remarks on their behalf? Perhaps you can advise us who has been arrested and charged then.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 08:33:36 pm »
Contrary to what has been said, there IS value in telephone cable and does have a scrap value. Obviously not as high as power cable.

There is a substantial amount of copper cable between Potters Bar exchange and people's houses, it is not true that it is all fibre up to the junction box in the street. In fact, this is the case with cable networks like NTL but not BT.

stevea - the cable may well have been stolen but that doesn't necessarily mean that anyone has been caught and charged - not sure what your point is.

Offline Aloo

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 08:51:26 pm »
After two weeks we are quite possibly the last to have got broadband access back - today.     BT are working from out of date diagrams for provisioning lines at street cab. level, so if all your lines are not working, persist and don't be put off by the ridiculous call tree and outsourced support staff.

BT (UK engineer and Indian call centre staff) advise that the copper cable was pinched - there was a lot of it and it must have been extremely heavy- someone with a truck and winch perhaps?

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 09:33:56 pm »
Hi Sasquartch. I'm not a BT engineer and wouldn't have a clue where fibre optic/copper cables run from and to. What I can tell you is yes, there is scrap value in communicaton cables, but the problem with it is to get good scrap value it has to be clean, and the only way to do that is to burn the plastic off. They are such thin strands that once burnt it drops the value even more and if you get the fire too hot, it can melt the copper!  It's a lot of palava for what you'd get back in return.
I would say that IF the cable was stolen, then it was done by an opportunist who didn't know much about the game. Maybe I'm wrong. My point is the same old story - I think you know what I mean. Copper is being stolen all around the world by all sorts of people.
Jay Wheeler - Perhaps what has happened is that the thieves were targeting power cables and communication cables quite often run with them, so they took the lot! The same thing happened in Scotland not long ago. I'm only speculating.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 09:48:22 pm »
stevea - there may be more money in it than you might think.

A friend told me that data cable (CAT-5) was worth 500 or more  per ton as it is, ie not stripped down. The price paid varies from day to day. He did say that reputable scrap dealers won't touch BT cable as so much of it does get stolen, so maybe this isn't an isolated instance of cable theft.

OK, telephone cable isnt the same as CAT-5 but it's similar in that it's lots of thin conductors so I am sure it must have a reasonable value somewhere.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 10:17:28 pm »
Hi Sasquartch - Why make 500 pounds when ordinary copper pays around 4,000 pounds a ton (bearing in mind the market).  Seems a lot of aggravation to me.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 09:11:26 am »
 ;D

Poor old Stevea seems to be getting a little upset when people try to update others regarding this topic. Watch your blood pressure old boy and give the web site a miss for a day or two!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 09:20:58 am »
Hi Sasquartch - Why make 500 pounds when ordinary copper pays around 4,000 pounds a ton (bearing in mind the market).  Seems a lot of aggravation to me.

I guess because cable is easy to steal.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 09:32:23 am »
;D

Poor old Stevea seems to be getting a little upset when people try to update others regarding this topic. Watch your blood pressure old boy and give the web site a miss for a day or two!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think Stevea usually adds a different perspective along with some interesting facts, which I find helpful.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 09:43:56 am »
Alex - I've not got a clue what you're talking about, and by the way, my bp is fine and I'm as fit as a fiddle, but thank you for caring! ;)

Sasquartch -  Yes, you're probably right - some cable is and some cable isn't. I'm in the demolition and rubbish removals game and come in to contact with a lot of scrap metal - a little tip, stock pile any scrap you've got as I've been told the prices are set to boom again in January!

Tags: