Author Topic: Police tape in Gobions wood  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
Police tape in Gobions wood
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:00:31 pm »
Noticed this evening that the area around the entrance to the flint mine at the western end of the woods has been taped off with police tape, "do not cross". No obvious reason that I could see. Any ideas?

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Johnny Redd

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Police tape in Gobions wood
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:01:34 am »
Can advise that it has been there for a few of weeks as we first saw it when walking the dog around the beginning of August. Good to know what the covered grill was though.

Sorry to go off thread so early but any idea what the overgrown and fenced off buildings were, located further into Gobions in this area???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:05:22 am »
I have just had an email chat with a spokesperson for Gobions Woodland Trust.

Apparently the tape was a temporary measure put there as a health and safety precaution to protect an area where maintenance work was being carried out. It was considered to be dangerous to visitors. The work has now been completed and the tape removed.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:32:16 pm »
The overgrown buildings were the original sewage treatment works for the village (or at least part of it), with circulation/settlement tanks outside the derelict pumping station, and the outlet over the weir where the path goes very close, into the brick chamber on the other side, and then into the stream. Healthy eh? I presume that the sewage still gets to this area by the original pipes but now goes all the way down to Water End treatment works, via the metal pipe which passes over the deep valley nearby.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 10:17:12 pm »
ATG - The old pipes were replaced in the mid 70's. If you look hard enough in the valley which you mentioned, it might be covered over by now, you'll find the supports for the original pipe.

Offline NZer

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:22:03 am »
As far as I can remember the sewerage works were unused as far back as the 1950's as we used to play down there.
 It was a good area to find lovely wild violets, which I haven't seen growing down there in recent years.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:59:48 am »
As far as I can remember the sewerage works were unused as far back as the 1950's as we used to play down there.
 It was a good area to find lovely wild violets, which I haven't seen growing down there in recent years.

Hi NZer, there are still wild violets in Gobions, I saw some earier this year. There is a page on the site listing the most common herbs seen in Gobions. Click here to view it.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: