Author Topic: Gobions play area improvements  (Read 7354 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Gobions play area improvements
« on: August 22, 2008, 08:22:52 am »
New play equipment has been installed in Gobions Open Space in time for the August Bank Holiday weekend. The design was approved by children at Brookmans Park primary school. Click here for more information and pictures, courtesy of North Mymms Parish councillor, Bob Horrocks.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Gobions play area improvements
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:00:23 pm »
We visited Gobions yesterday and tested the new equipment - a big improvement.

Once the swings are refurbished the play area will finally be up to a decent standard.

Offline AnneK

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:32:33 pm »
I agree - it's super to see some new equipment and some other kids enjoying the play area. Normally when I take my daughter there we're the only ones in the whole space, which is a bit depressing.

One comment - young children seem to have been overlooked in the refurbishment work. Are there any plans to replace the rather aged house with the slide, the toddlers' swings or the animals on springs that bounce backwards and forwards? There are lots of little ones in Brookmans Park - 30 or so, and their mums and nannies, turn up at Pramsters most weeks - and it would be wonderful if there were more for them in the play area.

Nevertheless, a big thank you to NMPC for the new equipment that's been installed. As Sasquartch says, it's already a big improvement.

Offline mannyd

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:18:16 pm »
Fantastic!! Great improvement!!

Not sure the small childrens play equipment needs replacing - although a good clean wouldn't go amiss!! I for one, wouldn't object to helping to do this voluntarily if someone could help me to organise??

We were up there this morning - sad to say the play area was once again plagued by rubbish - cigarette boxes, vodka bottle, various empty bottles - and the never ending dog poo. My 4yr old and I cleared most of the bigger items (rubbish not dog poo!). I know there's not really a solution to this - just a sad state when the playground is finally looking so fantastic!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:51:44 am »
My grandchildren gave it the 'thumbs up'.

I like the safety surface which will eventually have the grass grown through the holes to soften its appearance.  Far better that the rubbery spongey type of surface as used at the Hawkshead Road play area.

My understanding is that the swings for younger children are to have new chains and seats.  I reckon the frames of those swings and the ones for bigger children could look tons better for a lick of paint or spray with brigjht colours, but that is a job for the groundsmen otherwise there could be a problem with insurance.

Offline southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 03:20:23 pm »
It certainly is a great improvement .

For the first time my children ( 4 and 6) have been asking to go to the play area specifically.... already a half a dozen times this week.

Thanks to the NMPC.

Offline Belinda

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:52 pm »
Went there today. It's great and my 3 kids had a super time. It was also really good to see a number of other kids using the equipment too.

Offline purplerain

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:01:07 pm »
This is a bit of a tenuous link - but why are dogs allowed to run wild around the play area - it took my friend half an hour to get her kids out of the play area as dog owners were chatting whilst the dogs were allowed to growl at her daughters. Apparently they were quite ferocious looking - the dogs not the owners!

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:14:54 pm »
As far as I am aware, no dogs should be allowed in the fenced off area. Are there not signs to this effect? The whole reason for the fencing is a) to keep the children safely in an area and b) keep dogs out so that mess and the potential for harm. Dog mess is not only unsightly and polluting, it is also a health hazard.  Dog faeces may carry a worm that can cause blindness and young children are particularly at risk. I saw a similar situation in the fenced off play area in a park in Potters Bar. Two young men siting in the play area, having a drink and a fag, whilst their 2 'pit bull type' dogs raced around the play equipment. I daren't approach them as at least I'd get a mouthful of abuse, or worse, the dogs set on me... What is it with some people, irresponsibility or just plain antisocial or thick?

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 11:45:28 am »
You are quite right Ferdie. No dogs signs are on the gate to the play area.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:32:32 pm »
Love the new play equipment for little ones. We just visited the playground for the second time this week, and as we left my daughter asked if we could go back again tomorrow.

I probably shouldn't admit this in writing, but I can also vouch for the play equipment for bigger 'kids'. I waited until we were the only ones in the playground and tested everything else. Super. A big thank you to NMPC.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 11:15:05 am »
I went to the play area last week and a family told me they were very happy because the design allowed the kids to use their imagination.

You may have noticed that the hedge on the car park side has been lowered so that anyone can see what is happening in the area.  This should make it safer to use, not that I know of any problems apart from some broken bottles some months ago.

The parish council managed to get some grant funding for this equipment, and also for improvements to be made to the Hawkshead Road playground now that the new car parking has been done courtesy of the Jehovah's Witnesses Church.  They did a great job which they paid for, including clearance of the foundations of a previous building which had to be pulled down due to vandalism. 

Although not obvious from the road, the driveway leads to some car parking for people using the recreation field and play area.  Anyone using it is asked to keep the gates clear so the groundsmen can get the tractor and grass cutter onto the field.

Tags: