Author Topic: Catalytic converter theft  (Read 9423 times)

Offline SU

• Opinions on a couple of things
Catalytic converter theft
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:00:37 am »
Hi

Last night my partner and I were woken at around 12:15am to the sound of someone "drilling" his van, which was parked outside our house on Oaklands Avenue (top end near the Church). He went out to ascertain what was going on to find two men and a car parked adjacent to the van. One man was underneath the car sawing at the exhaust pipe. When confronted, the men (obviously) became quite aggressive and threatened him with a wrench before driving off into the night. Not sure of the make of the car but the reg started as T834 (he thinks). Called the police, but the men were long gone before they arrived.
The van is a Mitsubishi shogun type.
Therefore, just wanted to know if anyone else had heard of incidents similar to this in the area, and obviously, to keep an eye out for anything in the future!

Su

Offline Ross

• Opinions on some things
Re: Catalytic converter theft
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:36:19 pm »
Hi Su,

That doesn't sound good at all, I only live around the corner from there in bluebridge road. I didn't hear anything but will keep my eyes and ears on alert.
Regards
Ross

Offline Susan

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 07:41:06 am »
Hi

Here's info re catalytic converter thefts (if you have one)!?! A new crime....

http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/display.var.2214571.0.vehicles_catalytic_converters_targeted_in_new_crimewave.php

Offline Ross

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 01:36:25 pm »
All vehicle made after 1st Jan 1995 have a catalytic converter. So most cars in brookmans park.
Regards
Ross

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 02:00:40 pm »

All vehicle made after 1st Jan 1995 have a catalytic converter. So most cars in brookmans park.

Not quite true, I think that only applies to petrol cars. The rules for diesels are different

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 12:48:44 pm »
I also think thieves will also be punching holes in fuel tanks and stealing petrol before long.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 01:32:10 pm »
Police say there has been an increase in the theft of catalytic converters from cars and vans in recent weeks. In the latest neighbourhood watch newsletter, community officer, Jo Wakelen, has issued a warning to local residents to keep an eye out for people acting suspiciously around their vehicles. Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Womack

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:36:56 am »
My name is Stephen Womack.  I work at Mail on Sunday newspaper.  We are doing a story linked to a rise in 'commodity crime' - such as the theft of oil from heating tanks, metal garden furniture or attempted theft of catalytic converters. And I am trying to get in touch with anyone who has been affected by this. A colleague who lives in Brookmans Park mentioned that there had been problems in your area and alerted me to your website. Sorry to just barge in with this posting but it would be very helpful to speak with anyone who has suffered a theft or attempted theft.
My number is 020 7938 6982 or email stephen.womack AT mailonsunday DOT co DOT uk
Thanks in advance
Stephen

email address edited by mermaid to prevent spamming
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 02:54:58 pm by Mermaid »

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 02:45:42 am »
Interesting to read this topic - about a month ago I came across a catalytic convertor which had been dumped in one of my skips.  When I took it to the scrap metal yard they said that they gave a set rate of AUS$40 for them - approx 20 pounds - but if I stripped it out of the metal casing, would receive a better price. I questioned them about catalytic convertors and was told that they get spouts of them coming in, but only the filament - as that way they are untraceable. He  told me that when thieves steal them they use a tool called a cordless replicating saw and that the convertor is the middle box of the exhaust system so once it's cut off it renders the whole exhaust system useless.  He also went on to tell me that the newer the vehicle, more $ is paid for the convertor and even the makes and models of cars with more platinum in their exhaust sytems! - so I'm now an expert!  ;D

Offline Mark Drinkwater

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 04:24:36 pm »
I understand that there have been 3 daytime catalytic converter thefts from cars in Peplins and Bradmore Way this week.  Mayur, the hardest working newsagent in the world by far, was one of the victims.

If you see anything suspicious, you know what to do.

Tags: