Author Topic: Parish Environmental Action Plan (PEAP)  (Read 23354 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Parish Environmental Action Plan (PEAP)
« on: June 26, 2003, 01:35:05 am »
A plan is being drawn up to give users of this site a say in which areas of the local environment should be enhanced and protected. Hertfordshire County Council and the Countryside Management Service (CMS) want the Brookmans Park Newsletter to help them identify areas of the local countryside that should be protected and enjoyed.

More details here

The CMS is keen to hear what users of this site's forum value in the local environment and what can be done to improve things.

It is a unique opportunity to have a say in how the countryside around us is protected and made available to be enjoyed by all.

http://Click here to read more about PEAPs and please feel free to add your thoughts on what could be done locally.

The CMS and Herts Co Council will be monitoring this thread to get a feel for public opinion on what are the local environmental priorities.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 07:57:31 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: PEAP
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 01:55:55 pm »
North Mymms Parish Council is setting up a Parish Environmental Action Plan (PEAP) to try to enhance the local countryside. The council is keen for local residents to set out what they want to happen and help make it happen.

The latest information is here

Click here to learn more about the PEAP.

A steering group will be set up and volunteers from the local community are needed to take part. Ideas are also needed for things the PEAP should deliver. The PEAP team from the Countryside Management Service might contribute to this thread if anyone raises any issues to do with the PEAP.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 07:02:02 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: PEAP
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 07:54:06 pm »
The first meeting of the PEAP steering committee takes place towards the end of this month. The committee needs suggestions for projects to consider, all ideas welcome. Click here for details of the PEAP.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
jetRe: Parish Environmental Action Plan (PEAP)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 03:59:22 am »
I think the best thing that can be done is for well meaning people who wish to interfere with the environment we have left to butt out and leave things alone. To much interference is what causes problems so quangos please go and interfere in something else and let the country sort itself out.
regards,
jet

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Parish Environmental Action Plan (PEAP)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 09:34:29 pm »
Dear JET
One possible outcome could be improved public footpaths (not those at the side of the roads) in the area.  Mother Nature has taken over some of them amking them impossible to walk on, and marker posts and stiles could do with improvement on others.  Have you tried any of the local walks detailed on this website?  I have and they are a good healthy means of discovering new angles on the locality.  The outcome of this PEAP will not be earth shattering, but hopefully will improve the environment in which we live.  

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 12:30:11 am »
Any effort to protect the environment has got to be good as long as it is protecting a natural environment, and not creating a false environment.

One solution, of course, is not to ban hunting    :( which keeps the bridleways and footpaths open. :)

Mary

Editor's Note: Edited only to move travel references to another thread
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 10:02:45 am by admin »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 04:15:23 pm »
Ban hunting, fishing, shooting etc. it will save me a fortune and enable me to buy a 4WD, concrete over the lot.
When I hear the words "action plan" it allways suggests inaction (thankfully) the green wellie brigade and lots of do gooders interfeering with other peoples property.
There is virtually nothing natural left in the country, it is farmland or like Gobions man made.
A good mornings grump, following the usual weekend spoilt by noise, and as for the bonfires in imp land....
regards,
jet

« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 10:03:22 am by admin »

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 12:02:16 am »
"nothing natural left in the country"  you would be surprised - in parts where the "townies" have left us to get on with it, there is.

I am all in favour of PEAP, if they do it right.  I hope they do.

MM

« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 10:03:46 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 10:04:48 pm »
The next meeting of the North Mymms PEAP (Parish Environmental Action Plan) steering committee will be held on Monday night. A report will appear on this site soon after.

Note: A number of references to travel issues. that were building up in this thread, have been moved to the North Mymms Parish Travel Plan (PTP) thread.

Click here for that thread and to read the travel-related posts moved from here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 11:17:45 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 12:42:18 am »
The latest meeting of the North Mymms PEAP (Parish Environmental Action Plan) steering committee (19/01/04) has agreed that, subject to public consultation, the footpaths of North Mymms should be improved and mapped out in a series of local walks for all ages to explore and enjoy. Click here for more details.

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 11:37:36 pm »
Any chance that the paths could be made wide enough for a mountain bike?

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 12:00:18 am »
Should we put a request for more local cycle paths in the proposal Alfred? Sounds like a good idea to me.

CMS

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 12:57:54 pm »
The Countryside Management Service supports and provides informal recreation opportunities for cyclists to help them enjoy the natural environment and to improve health.

We would be willing to investigate opportunities in North Mymms and Brookmans Park and would like feedback as to where people like to cycle.

However there are a few legal issues to be aware of when cycling off road.   There are four designations of Rights of Way.  Footpaths, bridleways, roads used as public paths (RUPPS) and byways open to all traffic (BOAT).  RUPPs are due to be reclassified by the County Council.  I will not go into too much detail here but if you want to find out more about rights of way and how they are managed check out www.hertsdirect.org/row.  The paths are usually unsurfaced and are the most important means that people can enjoy the countryside.  Since the Countryside Act 1968 Cyclists have been allowed to use bridleways, RUPPS and BOAT's and share these paths with other users.  They are not allowed to use footpaths unless they have the permission of the landowner.   There is also specific legislation that allows the creation of cycleways that may or may not be on existing rights of way, this could include a footpath and is the only case where you are allowed to cycle on a footpath without specific permission.

Sometimes shared use paths lead to conflict between the different users but with careful planning and the encouragement of considerate usage by all parties these issues can be managed.

SUSTRANS is an organisation you might have heard of. They promote cycling in all its forms and also have been instrumental in the setting up of a National Cycleway.

If you go to www.hertsdirect.org and in the search box type cycling and tap Go, more useful information comes up.

Hope this helps.

I am sure the PEAPS Group will be grateful of any ideas people have to improve cycling.

Peter

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 03:39:47 pm »
I'm not convinced of the need for a lot more cycling paths - I think that Brookmans Park is already quite well served. We've got the Great North Cycle Route running South-North through the parish, access to the East along the quieter roads through Wild Hill, and to the West through the Bridleways over the top of North Mymms Park. The trouble with opening up more paths to push bikes will be inevitably the motor cycles will follow...  ???

I would like to see a cycle path between Brookmans Park and Welham Green alongside Station Road as I would like to think that might encourage some parents to let their children cycle to school - whether Brookmans Park or Chancellors - but I'm not convinced the use of of it would be great enough to justifying it be built.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 05:07:54 pm »
The main problem with improving access to the countryside is that it leads to the destruction of the wild environment.
It should be left alone and if anything protected from humans.
The Lea Valley Park scheme destroyed many wild areas.
Places that used to take an hour to walk to have been turned into car parks where people can just turn up, eat, dump their rubish and drive back home from.
A particular area near Wormley now has car access from both the West and the East. The area was once full of flora and fauna, generally only appreciated in passing by anglers and bird watchers. It is now a car park. There is little real wildlife left.
The same goes for the MOD area at Waltham Cross, now a business park. Once the wetland home of the last pack of natural Otters for miles it is now full of Warehouses holding foreign made goods, imported at the cost of manufacturing business's in the Brimsdown area.
Leave things alone, if they can only be got to by foot and effort, then so be it.
As for cycle paths, my observations are that cyclists in Warrengate use the main road, rather than negotiate the awkwardness of the track.
regards
jet
How much more of this country do we want to turn from wild areas into glorified managed gardens. When its gone its gone.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 05:09:36 pm by jet »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2004, 05:28:42 pm »
As for cycle paths, my observations are that cyclists in Warrengate use the main road, rather than negotiate the awkwardness of the track.

That's more a national problem with cycle tracks I think rather than a local situation. The trouble with many cycle tracks is they are not well signposted, and even better tend to end in silly places. Several times when I have been cycling in towns that I am not familiar, I notice a cycle track and go onto it, only to find that 5 minutes later having faithfully followed the 'town centre' signs it stops in the middle of a housing estate without a clue where to go! Route 12 (the one that goes up Warrengate Road) is a prime example of this - it takes you to the outskirts of Stevenage and then just stops without any further direction where the centre is. The Route to St Albans from Hatfield stops - IIRC just outside a youth club (or at least did last time I cycled it last year) with no indications about where to go next....

That I guess is why some cyclists may prefer to stay on the road - either they don't know it exists, or they don't know where it will go to.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 10:54:20 am »
A brochure is being prepared inviting all residents of North Mymms to be part of a plan to enhance the local countryside for the benefit of all. The latest meeting of the North Mymms Parish Environmental Action Plan (PEAP) has agreed to produce a leaflet to go out to all households in May. More details.

Offline trinity

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2004, 03:36:25 am »

That I guess is why some cyclists may prefer to stay on the road - either they don't know it exists, or they don't know where it will go to.

There is that. There is also the assumption that cycle paths are arbitrarily interruptible. On the road, cycling toward South Mymms, you just go straight on - rather than having to negotiate crossing Warrengate an dodging cars turning left off Swanlands too fast. (This wasn't as bad as the one in Woking that went for 50 yards, displayed a sign saying "Cyclists dismount", crossed the road, then repeated the exercise 50 yards further on).

And they're not as well maintained. On my road bike (skinny, hard tyres, none of the shock-absorbing suspension that I get on the off-road bike), Swanlands is a lot less painful to the fundament than the cycle path that is all cut up with vegetation growing through the poorly-laid tarmac.

Offline trinity

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2004, 04:00:32 am »
Planning is all well and good - but a plan isn't much use if the resources aren't available actually to do something.

Clearly, presentations, applications and pressure for central and local government action play a part. But those organisations have many demands and affluent areas such as this probably come quite low down on their priorities.

Particularly manpower.

In a recent personal conversation with a poster to this site, I got the impression that living in BP, and enjoying the environment was fine, but that actually contributing to it was, maybe, less so. Perhaps this is the case - but there is clearly a lot of "community spirit". Just look at the effort that goes in to the BP School events on Village Day.

I usually get cynical when someone mentions the word "community" because it has too often been used in politicians' spin.

But the point remains. It seems to me that there is a lot that could be gained from local volunteer effort - with the engagement of RVC and farmers or perhaps gamekeepers - in doing things like maintaining stiles, signposts, paths and the like. I don't have a lot of time to help in organisation -  because it tends to be ongoing. But I'd be more than willing to spend a weekend afternoon now and then fixing paths, stiles, signs or fencing. I wouldn't even need a lot of tools since I've a fair selection for DIY purposes and would be prepared to buy the occasional tool as needed. I would like to believe that this sort of thing is widespread enough to make a local voluntary effort worthwhile.

If nothing else, it would distinguish "community" from those who'd regard BP and its environs as a mere dormitory.

Offline john

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2004, 02:20:22 pm »
Re your announcement this morning, congratulations on your early PEEP initiative:  such a real-time webcam should give us all a truly amazing insight in to ...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2004, 10:09:55 am »
A leaflet containing a map and details of a local walk is currently being produced and will be distributed to all North Mymms homes this autumn. Click here for more details.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 10:35:24 pm »
Leaflets setting out details of a cirular walk in the local countryside are being delivered to every home in North Mymms. The one and a half hour walk highlights some of the historical and geological features in the area and is part of the Parish Environmental Action Plan (PEAP) initiative. Click here to read more.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2005, 10:05:18 pm »
Welwyn Hatfield District Council has just published an eleven and a half mile circular cycle ride starting and finishing in Welham Green. It takes in three pubs for those who work up a thirst. Click here details of the route.  It's just one of a set of five walks or cycle rides in the Borough.  Click here for the list of all five.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2005, 09:03:22 am »
The committee of volunteers working on the North Mymms Parish Environmental Action Plan (PEAP) is now considering what the next project for the area should be. If anyone has any ideas, please add them to this thread and they will be raised at the next PEAP meeting. Click here for more details.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 04:58:51 pm »
North Mymms Quiz and Walk

A leaflet describing this walk was put through your letter box in the last few weeks.  If you have not tried this walk already why not try it on Saturday 5 November.  It officially starts and ends at Brookmans Park railway station, but you can join it anywhere on the route.  There will be people at the station approach between 10am and noon with extra copies of the walk guide.

This gentle 3-mile countryside walk is mainly off the road.  Paths may be muddy and uneven so please wear suitable clothing and footwear.

The quiz and answers are on the leaflet – it is not a competition.   Just enjoy the local countryside and discover some of its history.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2005, 07:46:06 am »
A report by Freddy O'Hare on the North Mymms Quiz Walk has been added to the site (thanks Freddy). Click here to read it.  Also, detailed notes about the walk, with links to information about all the quiz questions have been added by Bernard Spatz and Bob Horrocks (thanks Bernard and Bob). Click here to read them.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 08:54:02 am »
Ramblers enjoying Walk 12 in this site’s series of strolls through the local countryside now have the benefit of a bench half way round offering views over Potterells. Click here for more information.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:21:48 am by David Brewer »

Tags: