Author Topic: Sick oak tree  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Sick oak tree
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:45:38 pm »
We have a small oak tree in our garden which is not looking well.

It's got small dots under the leaves and mildew on others.

Does anyone know what to treat it with?

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Susan

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Sick oak tree
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 08:42:02 pm »
The top photo is the common spangle gall caused by a wasp - see www.aie.org.uk/trunkline/pests/aie_pd_spangle.html
It doesn’t cause serious damage, even when present in large numbers.

The weather’s been good for mildew this year – not sure there’s much you can do, though. You could spray with a fungicide (not sure if one’s even officially registered for the control of mildew on oak trees), but if I were you, I’d just hope for better weather :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Sick oak tree
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 09:10:26 pm »
The top photo is the common spangle gall caused by a wasp - see www.aie.org.uk/trunkline/pests/aie_pd_spangle.html
It doesn’t cause serious damage, even when present in large numbers.

The weather’s been good for mildew this year – not sure there’s much you can do, though. You could spray with a fungicide (not sure if one’s even officially registered for the control of mildew on oak trees), but if I were you, I’d just hope for better weather :)

Thanks Susan, what a great link. I searched Wikipedia to find out more about the gall wasp. Very interesting.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: