Author Topic: Local Election - 1st May  (Read 11154 times)

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Local Election - 1st May
« on: April 27, 2008, 03:16:06 pm »
Only four days to go and once again the only leaflet we've received is the one from the Conservatives.

If candidates can't be bothered at this stage what would they be like if they got elected as councillors?

Sorry, but if they can't be bothered, then I won't bother voting for them and I'm sure a lot of other people may feel the same

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Local Election - 1st May
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:55:25 am »
Apparently Welham Green is being fiercely contended.

Apparently one candidate is claiming that a Conservative Councillor is in favour of the waste handling site proposed at New Barnfield, Travellers Lane.   The truth is that it is the local Conservative County Councillor who is in favour of this site, and he just happens to be on the County Council Waste Management Committe. 

The election on Thursday is for Borough Councillors, not County Councillors.

Offline Birch

• Opinions on many things
  • I am God (no really!)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 04:12:44 pm »
The problem is that the Tories and Lib Dems keep writing leaflets contradicting what the other says, saying the other parties leaflets are libellous - a geneal tit-for-tat. You end up not knowing quite what to think or who to vote for. 

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 04:20:38 pm »
The problem is that the Tories and Lib Dems keep writing leaflets contradicting what the other says, saying the other parties leaflets are libellous - a geneal tit-for-tat. You end up not knowing quite what to think or who to vote for. 

Well if you've got more than one leaflet - you're doing well!!

(I think you are in Welham Green aren't you? so maybe different there)

Offline PS

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 08:24:05 pm »
Will be very interesting to see how the BNP do this time eh ? Seems like a lot of Londoners for the Mayor campaign are threatening to go BNP. All down to the three traditionalists - just have'nt learnt have they. Period.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:10:33 pm »
Hello PS. How are you?  The BNP will probably go as far as they did last time...not very far!
Had any uncommon experiences lately?  :D

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 07:32:28 am »
The BNP got 214 people in Welham Green to vote for them in january. That's 16% of people who voted, over twice as much as Labour and about half what the Liberal Democrats got.

Offline PS

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:13:08 am »
Oh you again Stevea - getting worried ? BNP will do better all round this time - mark my words. Seems like you have an uncommon experience too - Gum Trees ?!?
PS Notice last time you did'nt want to make a guess at what the results would be this time - wonder why ?

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 09:10:50 am »
PS old chap!  The only time I get worried is when my wife has that look on her face!  Here's my prediction - the Tories will win.   I think you'll find that there are still some people who can see right through the BNP for what they really are. 

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 10:29:54 am »
Instead of a mountain of leaflets contradicting one another, for the next election why not have a public meeting at which candidates from each party slag it out in an open debate? 

It would save the poor old distributors from having to plod round their delivery rounds goodness knows how many times, save a forest, and enable any half-truths to be countered straight away.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 10:48:03 am »
Unfortunately when it seems 60% or more of the electorate can't be bothered to vote at all, a public meeting, held at a specific time, would probably not be well attended.

At least with leaflets there is a message, in black and white, what the candidates viewpoint is, which can be considered by the electorate in the election run up.

Offline PS

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 07:20:24 pm »
I think you'll find that there are still some people who can see right through the BNP for what they really are. 

Stevea - I think you'll also find that there are many who have already seen through the  the traditional parties. 

Note: Edited to fix quote box and remove yellow text (that didn't show up very well). David
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:38:57 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 08:29:52 pm »
I think the other point is that no matter who you vote for, nothing is going to change dramatically. Council tax will still rise faster than inflation and wages, so-called "services" provided by the local and county council will continue to be poorly executed, more and more control and surveillance will be imposed in the guise of "safety", etc etc. So why bother?
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 08:51:36 pm »
PS I will agree with you there, but anything is better than the BNP. By the way, you'll be surprised what happens underneath the gum trees! :D

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 12:59:47 pm »
I am with Bob on the public meeting idea. We dont want PR we want to see what they say and how they deal with criticism from the floor. It would make for an interesting time.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 01:03:51 pm »
And how many would turn up? Bob - how many present at the North Mymms Parish Council annual general meeting this year were members of the public who wanted to quiz their councillors?

James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 05:16:11 pm »
I am sure you are right James-it would be fun though wouldnt it?

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 12:55:20 pm »
....and it would be even more fun if everyone went to the pub first! Could get very interesting! ;D

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 04:15:59 pm »
Why not hold it in a pub?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 06:23:25 am »
According to the BBC (click here) the Conservative Party gained five seats on Welwyn Hatfield Council last night and Labour lost five seats.

Click here for the local breakdown.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 12:07:21 pm »
Stephen Boulton got more votes than anyone else in the whole of Welwyn Hatfield.   :o

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 07:43:27 pm »
He also got quite a lot more than John or Irene Dean which suggests quite a lot of people did not put all three votes for the Tory trio which is perhaps unexpected??!!

Offline mickeyl

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 04:21:19 pm »
Perhaps Stephen Boulton received more votes than Irene and John Dean was because he is the only one of the three to live in Brookmans Park Village

Offline Therock

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 09:10:02 pm »
Did not John and Irene Dean not live in the Famous Brookmans Park Avenue ?. my nmemory does not serve me well. ?

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 03:14:19 pm »
Some interesting comments on our campaign on here.

I'd be happy to have a public debate as long as the topic wasn't all-encompassing. If it dealt with specific issues that were of relevance, such as the Gypsy site and the New Barnfield Waste site I'd be more than happy to come along, because I don't see the opposition having much of a leg to stand on. Their literature basically rubbished our leaflets without putting forward any supporting evidence for their position and relied on the information coming from Mr Shapps to lend it any semblance of authority.

We attempted to be positive where we could, we suggested an alternative waste site, for example, and our policy on the Gypsy site was simply that the assessment of where it should go should be sent back to the consultants with a request they do it properly before getting paid. Given that the Conservative party signed up to the regional policy and our party refused to, this seemed a very valid campaigning point on differences in policy between us and the Conservatives.

Unfortunately the Conservatives decided that they would revert to form and be as negative as possible in order to win. It clearly worked. More people must have believed their negative campaign messages and therefore voted for them. It doesn't encourage positive campaigning when negative campaigning works better.

Paul Zukowskyj

Unsuccessful Welham Green Borough Council Candidate

John_fraser

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 03:48:50 pm »
Some interesting comments on our campaign on here.
when you say "our," which group are you speaking for? And what gives you the right claim that More people must have believed their negative campaign messages and therefore voted for them. I am sure there were many reasons to vote for and against each candidate.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 05:27:22 pm »

Unfortunately the Conservatives decided that they would revert to form and be as negative as possible in order to win. It clearly worked. More people must have believed their negative campaign messages and therefore voted for them. It doesn't encourage positive campaigning when negative campaigning works better.

Paul Zukowskyj

Unsuccessful Welham Green Borough Council Candidate

We didn't get anyone else campaigning where we live,(Brookmans Park) neither positive or negative, apart from the Conservative leaflet.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 12:07:47 pm »
For the record, since he seems to be shy about declaring which party he stood for, Paul Zukowskyj was one of two Lib Dem candidates and received 411 votes.

The bottom line is that electors cast their votes in Welham Green like this:

Conservatives - two candiadtes            754 and 752 votes
Lib Dems - two candidates                    510 and 411 votes
BNP - one candidate                              131 votes
Labour - one candidate                            83 votes   

Going back to the idea of a public debate in the run up to the next local election, I imagine it to be on the lines of 'Question Time' as seen on TV.  A master of ceremonies would maintain order etc, and take questions from the audience for candidates to answer.         

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 07:43:45 pm »
As you know Bob I am entirely with you on this. Why not challenge them to a debate next election? If one accepted they would all be shamed into coming and we could actually get to see and hear the candidates. We might even be impressed!

Tags: