Author Topic: Train updates, news and information  (Read 265321 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Train updates, news and information
« Reply #750 on: May 09, 2017, 08:33:59 am »
Thanks Angel. It's usually a database error on the servers providing the information. It tends to get sorted out eventually. Thanks for pointing it out though. David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #751 on: May 23, 2017, 07:28:42 am »
Ticket machine was out of order at Brookmans Park station last night. And there is a notice that the cash payment facility has been removed temporarily because of theft.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #752 on: May 23, 2017, 07:45:42 am »
The machine has been 'card only' for several weeks now.  It's often 'Out of Service' too.
The machine at Welham Green is also 'Card only'.

It's a shame that the very helpful Natalie has moved on from Brookmans Park Station.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #753 on: May 23, 2017, 07:48:43 am »
The machine has been 'card only' for several weeks now.  It's often 'Out of Service' too.

Clearly, I need to get out more.   :)

The following users thanked this post: Angel

Offline Nobby

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #754 on: June 06, 2017, 06:49:47 pm »
Problems on trains tonight - next two trains to Moorgate (18.45 and 19.15) cancelled. The next train to WGC delayed and the one after that cancelled.

Could anyone tell me what one's position is when you have pre-booked a specific train as the second leg of your journey, but owing to an earlier delay on your connecting train operated by another company, you miss it and have to travel on the next one. Can you be charged a penalty fare?

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #755 on: June 08, 2017, 10:52:15 pm »
Can anyone explain the logic in GN ticket machines relating to availability of off-peak tickets please? TSGN's website says "When purchasing a ticket from Great Northern, we will explain the restrictions that ticket is subject to: In the conditions at the time of purchase if bought from a Ticket Vending Machine" but I couldn't track that info down. Nothing in their FAQs.

In anticipation of any of a number of possible difficulties at the station, I turned up at Welham Green in good time for this morning's 09:34 to Moorgate. As this is the first one timed to arrive after 10:00, I should have been able to use an off-peak ticket, and apply my Senior Railcard. The off-peak option was not presented on the screen, and the Senior Railcard option was disabled. On my return at midday, these options had become available.

Had I programmed the machines, I might have thought it a neat idea to enable these options as soon as they could not be fraudulently used, i.e. just after departure of the preceding train to the 09:34. If I wasn't that bright, I might have just switched the options on at 10:00. Or maybe to trust the passenger.

Anyone worked out TSGN's algorithm?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #756 on: July 04, 2017, 04:37:33 pm »
There are a number of train cancellations this afternoon/evening. Probably worth checking before you travel.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #758 on: July 22, 2017, 07:36:23 am »
Train travellers beware. It seems from the tweet, embedded below, that there might be a problem with the Brookmans Park station ticket machine this morning. I have not been along to verify, so this is the only source of information.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #759 on: July 29, 2017, 05:56:03 pm »
Two consecutive trains cancelled this evening from London to WGC

Tags: